[Burning THAC0] B2: The Keep on the Borderlands

Voidrazor

First Post
A more quiet, raspy voice replies to the query of the Elf. "Immortals? I seek the future! The future that leads me out of this cell... but not the physical thing that binds us. No, I speak of the walls of the mind, the labyrinth, this cloud, this sullied mound of turtle flesh. I know things, I've seen the future that casts off the Thyatan bindings upon my people... I've seen the things that are necessary to make Traladar come again. The Immortal of the old hills is said to know things! I know things, but I have too many spiders crawling in my head! They cover the things I know, turn them to poison and darkness... I need the Immortal to unravel the spider webs. They say the Immortal only speaks of the maddening future... but I am already quite upset, you know."

Vellekhyr raises his chin and eyebrows knowingly, then sighs. "It may be that I can aid you in finding the path through your visions. But even for one with some skill in the art, prophecy is tricky at best. That which seems clear can appear quite different on the day of its realization. Yet even so it is not the prophecy itself but its interpretation that is false. But let us make a start. What can you tell me of Traladar's unbinding?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Captain stands, turns & walks towards an open window to gaze at the Moon.

Constance shakes her head, and takes a deep breath. She sees a look from Ferrantos which she doesn't understand, but she does seem somewhat mollified, so she smiles her lopsided smile, not that the Captain can see it.

"You have your duty, and I have mine," Constance says as she steps towards the Captain, placing her beer glass on his table to keep her hands empty as she approaches him. There's a glass bead there, so she shifts her glass so it lies flat. "The roads are *not* safe in any direction, and you must make the choices you will. We are asking for but a little support" -- her hands are open, face up, exposing her pale and delicate wrists -- "and our company is sleight. What help you offer will be appreciated. When you return, you shall have your proof." She reaches out to touch his shoulder, but hesitates, as if she were caught by the moon's glow.

Constance turns away, and picks up her mug, and drains it. There's a hint of foam on her lip, which she dabs away with a kerchief she removes from her high boots, before slipping again out of sight. She then places her mug down among some other disused drinkware, and turns to the assembled listeners. Her hand brushes a strand of hair back behind an ear, and she puts her hand on the shoulders of her fellow drinkers, her eyes asking for another pint.

Much of this is for show of course -- she is asking nothing that her comrades haven't already said, though perhaps the Captain will have a soft spot for her innocence. Her hope though is that as she picked up her stein having placed it on the table, she can take the locket with it. There's been lots of misdirection, and her empty hands have been key, she figures. If anyone saw her take it, they'd assume that it was hidden in her boot or in the kerchief. That wouldn't be so, of course, though if it came to it she'd make a scene as the soldiers tried to remove her boot only to find it empty. No, the locket will be in the pocket of an ally, or perhaps someone well in his cups, or (failing that) in the dregs of foam in her old mug. If no one has noticed in the first minute, she can easily reclaim the object and place it somewhere more secure. But she would have the captain's keepsake.

OOC: she's acting on an instinct, and has several traits to draw on. Test?

Mathalus

First Post
ooc- @ Constance. Just take the test. It would be a versus anyway, with your Sleight of Hand against anyone's Observation (or Beginner's Luck Perception). Get it as high as possible, since it is going to make life very hard for us if you get caught.

Last edited:

Pablohoney

First Post
The plain-faced Friar seated with the Chevaliers stands up, and gestures over to one of the serving wenches. Speaking directly to Constance, the Friar asks, "Some red wine, my young lady? For you and your friends? In the temple where I serve, we have quite the vineyard, and I've not the taste for beers..."

"I was just telling the good Chevaliers about the need to confront Evil, no matter where it exists. You see, I am from an ancient order of militant priests. I would consider it an honor if I could join you in your quest to these caves!"

Avros strides forward and accepts his glass with a revered bow. He takes a moment to swirl the contents while Constance speaks, and then holds his glass up in a toast to the Friar.

"Halav bless you, Brother. From what temple do you hail? I myself am an admirer of the grape, but you'll have to excuse my dwarf friend here. His tastes are rather crude and when indulged, his manners tend to follow suit.

Are you amongst the Chevaliers, or simply swapping tales? The evil that surrounds this Keep is legendary, I hear. Perhaps you have a tale or two to tell about the beasts that lurk in these dark caves?"

Last edited:

Avros strides forward and accepts his glass with a revered bow. He takes a moment to swirl the contents while Constance speaks, and then holds his glass up in a toast to the Friar.

"Halav bless you, Brother. From what temple do you hail? I myself am an admirer of the grape, but you'll have to excuse my dwarf friend here. His tastes are rather crude and when indulged, his manners tend to follow suit.

Are you amongst the Chevaliers, or simply swapping tales? The evil that surrounds this Keep is legendary, I hear. Perhaps you have a tale or two to tell about the beasts that lurk in these dark caves?"

Aurvang paid the religious man's comments no mind. He was in the middle of a story when the paladin spoke, The trolll had a wart as big... as biggg... as biggghh as a ...turnip! Those around him laughed raucously. Of course, they had been drinking as long if not longer than he had. The dwarf grabbed his flagon, which empty, and stared into its depths as he stroked his soggy beard. A storrrie fer a driink, eh? Come on Shavoleer he said pointing a stubby finger at a nearby horseman. I bet ye I can drrrink ye under this here table and still spin a good yarn. What'de'ye'sayyy? Aurvang asked the small crowd that had gathered around him.

OOC: Task - Drink the Chevalier under the table.
Intent - Impress the other drunken Chevaliers and the other drunken patrons that are listening. I want them to know I can drink and drink a lot. I'd like this test to be more about drinking than telling a story. Soooooo...

Drunking B2
rolls: 6,5, spend Fate to Explode the 6 -> 6,3
3 successes

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
ooc- @ Constance. Just take the test. It would be a versus anyway, with your Sleight of Hand against anyone's Observation (or Beginner's Luck Perception). Get it as high as possible, since it is going to make life very hard for us if you get caught.

OOC: -- okay, no obstacle from Engrishonly, so here goes:

Sleight of Hand B4, +1D advantage (Captain has his back to Constance) = 5 dice

Mathalus

First Post
ooc- It's all right. I'm sure Engrishonly will count it as 5. Are you going to blow up those sixes or is five successes enough? You are probably safe, since it's unlikely anyone has a 4 or higher Observation, and they'd have you roll an Ob 10 Perception if they were using Beginner's luck.

Even if Engrishonly knocks off your advantage die through fiat, I think you'll be safe. Which means we'll both be safe.

Remove ads