Byzantium on the Shannon III

CleverName

Explorer
New PC

Kuldar Goldenaxe
(Paul Grenier)

Kuldar is a forge champion, a huscarl for Jarl Geirolf Diamondeyes. He protects a "surface hearth" from enemies. When space underground is tight or a clan wants to expand beyond their allowable limits underground, they build a forge on the surface, often away from Alfar lands. Although vulnerable, there is less competition for resources and all of the fae races value dekkalfar miners and smiths.

Kuldar’s clan operates several of the surface hearths in Cimbri lands – while they often have fine resources, the Cimbri are indifferent miners. Kuldar began as a mere woodsmen for the forge near the town of Trier in Vacomagi lands. His main job was to collect wood (an inferior fuel source to coal) to fuel the fires in their forge.

A giant attacked the forge one day and slew the champion, but Kuldar stood his ground and slew it. Geirolf made Kuldar more than a woodsman — he became the new champion. He demonstrated the power of axes over hammers (the favored weapon of his folk due to the years of mining and crafting) when dealing with the flesh of giants. His magical axe was a gift for him from his forgemaster, in thanks for his service. While cooling the steel in the mountain waters, mineral deposits gave the axe a golden hue that has not been duplicated since – hence his nickname.

Most recently, Kuldar has been under the employ of the Vacomagi queen, Nighean. While protecting a convoy of weapons to Vacomagus (the capital of the Vacomagi), the forgemaster, a master craftsman of axes, was kidnapped in a raid and all of the forges remaining wares were taken. The forge has been shut down temporarily until the forgemaster can be found and the culprits have been dealt with.

At first, it seemed that the Brigantes had captured the forgemaster and taken his wonderful axes to further their war effort against the Silures. At least that was Kuldar's assumption. However, the Vacomagi queen has convinced him that it may be the Silures who have captured the forgemaster in an effort to drag the Vagomagi into the battle on their side.

The queen has an interest in restoring the forge to working order as much as Kuldar. The forge represents a valuable resource that the Vacomagi use to equip their forces as well as generate tax revenues from its exports. So, Kuldar has agreed to work closely with the queen in an attempt to set things right.

DM NOTE: Kuldar is a 8th level fighter, 3rd level Dwarven Defender. Paul will only be joining the game for a short time, but he will be writing up the next adventure.

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 15: Part I

Axes and More Axes
(Paul Grenier)

5th Day of Iron, 12th year of Diamondeyes Reign

To Great Jarl Geirolf Diamondeyes and members of the Thing

After spending several weeks in the court of the Vacomagi queen Nighean, I have finally begun my search for the lost forge master in earnest. I now have a better understanding of who may be capable of this treachery and who would have the motivation for such actions against your forge. In the meantime, the remaining workers and apprentices have been given leave in the city of Vacomagus. The property that survived the raid has been stored away.

It seems that my original assumptions about the Brigantes were incorrect. Although they are fond of our axes, their current surplus of freshly minted Iconian gold leads me to believe that if they wanted our wares they would have simply bought them. I now think that it is the desperate actions of the Silures tribe who have either sacked the forge for their own gain, to stop the Brigantes from further arming themselves, or merely as a ploy to get the Vacomagi to enter their upcoming war with the Brigantes by blaming this treachery on their enemies.

However, the queen is more astute than her rivals give her credit for, and with her help, I am in route to the Silures region to find out more for our clan. I have been grouped with three companions who seek the Nothrok tribe in connection with the production of the Demon’s Breath potion, a fellow dekkalfar and druid, Gudlag; a Cimbri from the Vacomagi named Malcomb; and a Kulkan, a shaman named Copoc.

It seems that this band of adventurers was responsible for the riots in that cesspool that passes for a Rolgulkan city, Kostelna, a few months past. They brought tales to Nighean of a threat from the East, creatures called the Yuan-ti. The yuan-ti are a serpent folk who consort with demons, shapeshift, and play with other’s minds. These serpents were behind the distribution of the Deamon’s Breath from Kostelna and have insinuated themselves with the Three Mothers. Furthermore, they had evidence that they had infiltrated the Silures, but little more than that.

They presented Nighean with a cask of Wyrd — a potent form of socerous magic, of which I know little, and asked her aid in the matter. Nighean pointed out that she could do little, openly, at the eve of war between the Silures and Brigantes Cimbri tribes, without provoking one side or the other. She called forth the ambassador from the Silures and “requested” that the Silures look into the matter of these Yuan-ti. She also publicly commanded Malcomb to attempt to capture one of these creatures – suggesting that he and his go back to Kostelna to do so, telling them that if they brought her one she might be able to concoct some sorcery to discern them magically.

After the Silures ambassador left her court, the queen asked me to go with the trio to look into the matter (and possibly aid in my own investigations into the fate of the forge master). She also privately pointed us towards a lesser Cimbri tribe in the lands of the Silures, the Nathrach, a Cimbri people said to have garnered much wisdom in the arts of healing from a relationship with a race of giant, rams-horned serpents. To aid us in this secret investigation into Silures territory she gave us each a hat of disguise and a magical necklace of silver said to prevent shapeshifting. Furthermore she granted us the privilege of using the Ley, the magical road that encircles Vacomagus for the duration of this mission. Malcom and her conferred and planned to pick me up on board their ship near a shoal off the island to further throw off any hint of our intentions.

If indeed the Silures and/or Nathrach are in league with the producers of Demon’s Breath, and guilty of the treachery against the forge, it may be time to pay them a visit with a few battle-crazed brute squads!

This much is for certain: war in the north is eminent. It appears that the Brigantes are undeterred by the Vacomagi’s attempts to dissuade confrontation with the Silures. My main question is “Why would the Brigantes attack the Silures?” They do not have a border dispute, what would they gain? Unless the Iconians are behind this war, and have something to gain by the destruction of the Silures, I think the threat to the North may be larger than just the aggressive Brigantes tribe, and the Vacomagi had best be wary. Gudlag seems to think that warfare between Cimbri tribes is as natural as mining is to our people.

If the Brigantes have an alliance with the Iconians, their plan would most likely be to destroy the Silures then turn on the Vacomagi from both sides. This will only be possible with the naval support of the Iconians. If we wish our trade union with the Vacomagi to remain in tact, we’ll need to keep informed about Iconian naval movements and locations of mercenary forces near the Cimbi tribes.

Conversely, if somehow these demons we seek in the Nothrok tribe are at the source of the Cimbri tensions, then the entire conflict in the north would merely be a ruse to keep attentions away from their activities and create a market for the Demon’s Breath potions. If that’s the case, I may find our precious forgemaster slaving away in a demon’s den. It’s possible that the Iconian coin isn’t Iconian after all, but rather a clever counterfeit to hide the true nature of funding for this impending war.

My head swims with all of the possibilities and speculations. I just don’t have enough information yet to be confident. I will be moving toward Silures tonight, but I anticipate troop movements from both sides within the month and most borders and roads will be restricted if not closed. It may be difficult, once I find the forgemaster, to return him quickly depending on who is involved. Our communication may also become sporadic, but I will make sure you are kept informed at every opportunity.

Your Loyal Servant,

Kuldar Goldenaxe of Clan Reist

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 15: Part II

Travelog of Kuldar Goldenaxe

My new companions headed out of Vacomagus, using the Ley to travel quickly, and hopefully secretly, towards the docks. I had thought Nighean would send me out on another boat to meet their ship offshore, but the Queen barely gave me time to gather my things and then teleported me onto some barren stone, barely above water! Thank the Allfather that the tides were out. Yet the waves were lapping at my iron-shod boots by the time the others made it to the rendezvous point with their craft.

By means of some magic that I have sworn not to pass on, we sailed all night towards Medoc, reaching it early on the morning of the next day – an astounding feat, but I was happy to get earth and stone beneath my boots again.

We headed onshore having landed a few miles to the west of Medoc, with plans to pass ourselves off as slavers in the city as we gathered information about the Nathrach. Rather than mask our race, Malcom, Gudlag and I used the hats of disguise to merely masquerade as slave raiders of our own kind. Copoc warped his visage into that of our sole property, a human slave.

We traveled away from shore and encamped near the road to Medoc. I drew the second watch and was surprised by the emergence of a Rolgukan out of the shadows – a slaver by the look of him. He came right to the point. He and his fellows were planning to sell their goods in Medoc, having heard of a Rolgulkan mercenary unit was nearby and looking for supplies. They, having run across a few poor slavers (us), planned to add our slave to their chain.

I convinced him to have a battle of champions between our two sides, rather than risk the blood of all for a few slaves. I was surprised when he agreed. He disappeared into the gloom for a moment and came back followed by a troll!

This was no idiotic, slavering troll, but one bearing weapons and armor – two giantish axes, to be sure – one clutched in each clawed hand. Its black eyes were twisted in delight in the carnage to come. The troll got in the first blows due to its long arms, but as soon as I was able to plant my feet, the creature became enraged in its inability to land a solid blow, it then flew into a berserk fury when I sundered one of the axes it bore, dropping its other weapons and snatching at me with its claws! I bore several wounds, but my ire was resolute and its end was near.

When the other slavers realized their great troll warrior was about to fall to my blows they shot at us from the cover of darkness with their bows. Moreover the cowardly troll retreated to regain its strength. A column of fire from the druid’s fingers, the axework of Malcomb, and the blows from the lizardman’s greatclub soon scattered or killed the rest – save one orc that we took captive. The troll enraged at its burning charged the druid and delt him a few blows. But Malcomb and I were on its heals and it fell. I snatched brands from the fire to make sure it was dead.

Now all we need do is find the slaver’s chattel and our intended ruse should be complete! We plan to search for them at dawn, after Copoc has healed our wounds and we have a chance to interrogate our prisoner.

For now, I rest.

CleverName

Explorer
A Spiritual Interlude

By Copoc Kitzam (David Nickerson)

My dreams haunted me and I could not sleep. Premonitions of death will do that to you sometimes. I gazed at the constellations filling the sky and realized that the stars were aligned and that the seven stars that made up Gondoc’s Greatclub would soon reach their apex.

Hours upon hours I had spent in deep trance, conversing with Kanul Yat Balam and various other entities, gleaning what sparse information I could concerning the history of Gondoc and his legendary manifestations. Of course he was responsible for defeating the Black King and dispersing our evil brethren long before he entered the Spirit World, but I learned that indeed he had since aided shamans, decisively turning the tide in several epic battles. Unfortunately, he had gone mysteriously dormant and had thus remained for millennia. It would be possible, however, to awaken this ancient hero, if the stars were properly aligned and a new evil was gathering.

I was convinced that what I saw now was no coincidence; the time for summoning Gondoc had finally arrived, even though we had just fallen back into sleep after dealing with the slavers. I hadn’t known Gudlaug for long and had just met Kuldar, but one cannot argue with the sky. The summoning had to take place that very night!

The ritual required a trip to the Spirit World and a show of faith from those wishing to benefit from Gondoc’s prowess. To gain his favor, one had to relinquish something held dear. I studied my great club as it shimmered, anxious and bristling with the fury of Yax Che Mal. I could not believe that Gondoc, master of battle, would strip his devotees of their very means to wage war. It would be a show of faith and nothing more. I just had to convince my comrades. Also, as is the case in all kulkan warrior rituals, a substantial amount of blood would be expected. This I would supply myself, and not push my luck with the others.

Fortunately it was Malcolm’s watch. I would speak with him first because I had known him the longest and we shared similar seafaring backgrounds. He had earned my trust and I felt that he trusted me as well. Also, considering his recent reincarnation, I imagined that it would be relatively easy to convince him that we needed more brute force to ward off attacks...even from gigantic stone gnomes.

“Malcolm,” I hissed as I approached the vigilant adventurer, “I am plagued with dreams of carnage. We are soon to enter a veritable meat grinder, powered by black kulkans and yuan-ti and a host of other demonic horrors. We cannot go this alone.”

“Do your…ahh…spirits tell you this?” inquired Malcolm.

“Yes. But one need not consult the wise ones to see that this is true.” I paused for emphasis. “I can now summon a great kulkan warrior and harness his fighting magics to aid us in our quest, but I will need your assistance. And I will need the others as well.”

“What would you have us do?”

“Simply trust in the spirits. Trust in me Malcolm. Lend me your Greataxe.” I explained what the ritual would entail.

I shook Gudlaug, all the while being eyed suspiciously by Hal. Malcolm stood nearby

“Gudlaug, wake up.”

“Mmmmm-wait, Bambi. Come back,” he muttered sleepily.

“Gudlaug,” I continued shaking him, “It’s me. Copoc”

Startled, Gudlaug bolted upright. “Copoc, what’s going on? What the heck are you doing? Is it my watch already?”

“Copoc has had a vision,” answered Malcolm.

Gudlaug looked at Malcolm, obviously annoyed to be yanked from his dream. “I was having a vision too,” he replied, “but you don’t see me bouncing around the camp spreading the joy.”

“Gudlaug, we offer our sincerest apologies, but Gondoc’s Greatclub has reached its apex and I need your assistance,” I tried to explain as Gudlaug rubbed his eyes.

“Gondoc’s Greatclub?! Listen, I like you and all, but…?”

I related my visions to Gudlaug, my premonitions of certain death if we did not increase our party’s strength. Then I described how we might accomplish this feat. Although he was initially reluctant to hand over his warhammer, he could sense my apprehension and seemed relieved to know that the Godoc’s Greatclub” I refered to was a pattern of stars in the sky. Gudlaug knew that matters could get deadly serious very soon and after mentally sizing up our party he agreed to help. Next would come the hard part.

Gudlaug, Malcolm, and I stood over Kuldar, repeatedly shouting his name. He had taken first watch, and apparently ended it by consuming his body weight in dwarven ale. A dekkalfar’s unquenchable thirst was well known even to kulkans, but I was truly amazed by this particular dwarf’s capacity to drink – though he was equally skilled with goblet and axe.

“Wake up Kuldar, we are in deadly danger!”

This apparently did the trick, as Kuldar sprang to his feet, axe in one hand and empty goblet in the other. He looked around wildly, seeking to locate a suitable target.

“…or soon will be,” I added.

Kuldar glared at me as he moved to refill his goblet. “What nonsense is this? I see no danger! No fiend of the night begging to be cleaved?”

“Kuldar, I have had a vision of our demise. In order to augment our forces and prevent this from occurring I intend to summon the spirit of Gondoc, the greatest kulkan warrior to ever crack the egg, friend to shamans of old and destroyer of the Black Nest. I need your cooperation and I would ask to borrow your axe for a short ritual.” I tried to smile.

Kuldar took an immense swig from his goblet and seemed rather disappointed that he’d spilled the contents in his sleep. “Are you insane lizard? No one touches my axe!”

Gudlaug chose to intervene at this moment and somehow seemed to calm his dekkalfar brother “Kuldar, I haven’t known this shaman for long and I have little understanding of his Spirit World, but he is true to his word and I have found his intentions to be noble. Time and again he has called upon these spirits and, well, something happens almost every other time. I believe that his ritual may prove helpful to us.”

Malcolm stepped up to support me as well. “I trust Copoc, Kuldar, a trust scored through months of fighting side by side, enduring hardships together, almost dying and dying. If he says that this spirit can aid our cause then I for one believe him. And he has assured me that no harm will come to our cherished weapons.”

“Is this true lizard?” demanded Kuldar.

“Yesssss,” I said, silently attempting to run through the ritual in my mind. I had gathered only bits and pieces, and these summonings were always tricky, but I was confident that the weapons would remain unharmed. After all, Gondoc was renowned for his appreciation of fine arms as well as his strength in battle. He was proficient with nearly everything and was always eager to try a new weapon type. He was then just as eager to prove that this new weapon was no match for claws and teeth. His collection of weaponry, however, was legendary itself, and I could not imagine that he would damage any piece in a non-combat situation

“Very well,” Kuldar grumbled, “but if I find one scratch on that axe, or one dent that was not made by the bones of one of my more robust enemies, then I’m the one that’s gonna be crackin’ some eggs!”

“Fair enough,” I replied gazing skyward once more, Let us begin the ritual.”

I gathered our weapons, Malcolm’s greataxe, Gudlaug’s warhammer, Kuldar’s axe, and my greatclub and arranged them in a runic configuration, an ancient kulkan symbol representing the path of the warrior. I then covered them with copious amounts of skink liver oil and dusted them with bone powder.

Kuldar did not seem entirely pleased.

I then began preparing my mind to enter the Spirit World. My eyes were closed and I began to chant, imploring the great Kanul Yat Balam to lend us his power. I felt for my jaguar’s paw, my claw blade, clam shell, and crocodile’s tooth. I arranged my necklace of woven swamp grass and caressed the serrated claw also hanging from my neck. I did not wish to offend anyone upon entering the Spirit World. Once confident that I had not misplaced a single vial or packet, carving, or any other talisman that anchored one of my spirit allies, I clasped the wrists of Gudlaug and Malcolm and instructed them to take hold of Kuldar.

“We are about to enter the Spirit World,” I said, “Stay close or risk tumbling back into the material world. I cannot say where you might arrive if this happens!”

“What did he say?” shouted Kuldar, “I never agreed to any plane hopping!”

I was chanting in earnest at this point and the incantation was soon completed.

I opened my eyes. I never ceased to be amazed by the beauty of the Spirit World. Although structurally similar to our own material plane, all the colors were brighter and more alive, as if springing from a new palette, expanded and limitless in their clarity and hue. Entirely new and amazing shades cascaded over our senses. I immediately observed that my runic symbol had risen and was levitating at our center. A bluish orange green flame encircled the weapons, sparking and hissing sporadically I looked at my comrades. No longer spiritblind, they gasped like newborns, as if someone had removed a blindfold and they were seeing for the first time. Malcolm was startled suddenly by a swarm of scarlet and indigo hummingbirds and nearly leapt beyond my grasp.

“Stay within my reach,” I reminded them.

As the birds dispersed Kanul Yat Balam was revealed in all his glory. He appeared as a tall and weathered kulkan with piercing eyes, wise beyond comprehension. He wore a huge feathered mane, multi colored and extremely difficult to focus on. His leather harness was studded with silver and gold and he carried an impressive greatclub embedded with scintillating gems and square, obsidian blades.

“Greetings Copoc’s allies, noble denizens of the material world. I see that you have chosen to aid my good shaman in his latest summoning. You have presented fine weapons, all. Gondoc reveres such instruments above all else.” The voice came at once from everywhere and nowhere.

“Are you here to help as well?” queried Gudlaug, able to speak at last

“Alas, no,” replied the voice. Kanul Yat Balam’s eyes appeared to gaze through us into some other reality. “It is indeed unfortunate, but I can only observe in matters such as these. I have assisted Copoc to the utmost of my ability. Now it is up to you.”

Other entities had gathered around our most unusual exhibit and were keen to observe my comrades and me. I recognized only a fraction of the spirits present and did not know if they were offering support or merely curious. Regardless, time was passing and I needed to complete the summoning rites. I produced a well honed steel knife and cut into my palm. This obviously surprised both Malcolm and Gudlaug, and Kuldar looked at me as if I had been inhaling swamp gas. I was perplexed myself when my blood leapt from my hand, drawn toward the pulsating rune as if it were magnetized. The blood stream remained steady, unbroken, flowing straight into our weapons. The flames surrounding my construction sizzled and licked greedily. The rune was now drawing out my blood at an alarming rate. I called out for Gondoc and he did not respond. Perhaps my offering was inadequate or incomplete? Feeling a sudden flash of fear I looked toward Kanul Yat Balam, but he was no longer present. I tried to calm myself, mentally reconstructing the steps of the ritual. I could not move my legs and realized that I desperately needed help. If this ritual did not end soon I would die!

I glanced at my comrades, who seemed to be frozen in place as well. They had come to aid me, to receive the blessings of Gondoc and fight the good fight, offering their most valued weapons as a show of faith. Now they were trapped! The sky darkened and lightening struck the floating ball of fire, steel, wood, and blood. I was becoming dizzy as my mad creation continued to suck the blood from my veins. Kuldar and the others were no doubt becoming extremely concerned. I could hear their voices but could not make out their words. For some reason my eyes were drawn to the rune. Our weapons remained unscathed, centered as they were in the maelstrom of fury. What had Kanul Yat Balam said? That Gondoc reveres such instruments above all else? He would never sacrifice our weapons. There was never a real risk, never a true show of faith! Gondoc wanted blood. The blood of us all!

I focused as best I could on Gudlaug and passed along my steel blade. “He wants blood Gudlaug. Tell them it’s the only way.”

Gudlaug was apparently able to decipher my croaking. He cut his palm and then handed the knife to Malcolm, who quickly followed suit. By the time Kuldar received the blade, the warrior rune was already drawing blood from Gudlaug and Malcolm, in addition to my dwindling supply.

“I’m not doing this,” he grunted, struggling to break free of the invisible bonds that were holding him in place.

“Do it now Kuldar,” urged Gudlaug in strangled dekkalfar.

“Fine.” He plunged the knife into his palm.

Suddenly there was a blinding explosion. Intense noise and light surrounded me and penetrated to my very core.

I now sat upon a grassy knoll, my head still ringing, looking up at the swirling rune constructed from our prized weapons. Gudlaug, Malcolm, and Kuldar were there as well. Towering above us was an immense kulkan warrior, at least twelve feet tall and bulging with muscles that strained against the hides of jungle cats and threatened to tear the skins of emerald serpents. His scales were deep scarlet and his jaws were caked with dried blood and bits of flesh. He gazed down upon us as if trying to determine his most immediate threat only to discover soon after that one did not exist. Gradually his eyes settled upon me.

“Shaman!” he boomed. “Who are you that you would dare to disturb my slumber?”

“I am Copoc Kitzam, from the shores east of Gelandri. I have come on behalf of my people to request your aid in vanquishing a great evil that walks heavy upon our land.”

“I know not of this Gelandri. I have lain in dormancy awaiting the birth of the Chosen and the Ascension of the Kulkans. Has this prophecy come to pass? Do Kulkans dwell once more in the Hallowed Halls?”

I was stumped.

“Are you the Gatherer?” he continued, “the Restorer?” He leaned closer. “Or perhaps the Instigator?”

“I am unfamiliar with this prophecy oh Great Gondoc.”

“Why, then, have I been awakened?”

Although the flames were now gone, lightening struck once more at the levitating warrior rune. Thunder rocked the countryside.

“The black kulkans have returned, Gondoc. And worse still, they are growing in number! We have fought them tooth and claw with some success but have recently learned a disturbing secret. They have now acquired a sinister ally!”

“Who would make allies with such a wretched race?”

“The yuan-ti oh Great Gondoc. Shapeshifters they are, man-snakes that can hypnotize and cause fear and command dark spirits to cast their evil magics.”

“Cause fear? This seems unlikely.” Gondoc looked skeptical. “I know these foes. I have picked the flesh from their bones and eaten their hearts. The Yuan-ti are the ones who aided the Black Nest in ages past and brought down our great kingdom. Their evil is deeper than the Black Kulkans, stripling!”

“Help us Gondoc. Help us to spill the blood of our most ancient foes!” Gondoc still did not seem convinced and Kuldar’s nostrils began to flare. I suspected that he would soon need to be restrained so I stepped in front of him.

“The black kulkans are loose Gondoc, and they have grown bold once more. They raid our villages, pillaging and plundering and mocking your accomplishments.” Gondoc furrowed his brow. Encouraged, I continued my tirade. “It is even said that some black kulkans believe you never existed, that you are merely a myth used to keep women and very small children in line. They disparage your name and discredit your legacy! They…”

“Silence shaman! We shall make them believe!”

I shivered as the power walk ended and we were returned to the middle world, the world of base matter.

“Hey, where’s the big guy?” asked Malcolm, though I could see Gondoc still and his fury was tremendous. “It seemed like he was starting to come around.”

“Don’t worry,” I assured everyone, “The ritual was a complete success. Gondoc is with us now and we are nigh unstoppable.”

“You call that a success?” grumbled Kuldar or Gudlaug or perhaps both. I didn’t hear the rest because my mind was focused on the Spirit World and in particular on Gondoc. I smiled when I thought of the terrible wrath he would now deliver upon those who opposed our cause.

But I also knew the terrible price I had to pay for his service. My friends were now spiritblind again, but I could see Godoc standing nearby as the rest huddled back into their blanket for a few more minutes of rest.

“Remember our pact Shaman. If you cannot give me the blood of our enemies. I will demand your blood, or the blood of your friends.” Gondoc crossed his massive arms and I saw that the red stains around his mouth were no longer dry, but wet with our blood.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 16

How Not to Succeed at the Slave Trade

Continuing the journal of Gudlaug Hamarson (Jon Hanna)

After a night of inadequate sleep, we finally got up.

“So Copoc,” I asked, “Did we accomplish anything during that ritual last night, other than sleep deprivation?”

“Oh yesss.” he replied earnestly, “The spirit of Gondoc stands ready to do battle with the black ones. You whose eyes are still lidded to the spirit world do not see him, but you may rest assured that he is here.”

“Good. Well, maybe if he’s just standing around, you could ask him to go get us some breakfast or something.”

“I assume you are making a jest. Gondoc does not work in the food service industry. No, he will wait on his hot rock in the spirit world until he is needed. Then, when I ask him, he will despoil the nests of his enemies, and break the eggs of the unholy!”

As we pondered this, Kuldar reminded us that there were slaves somewhere around there that the troll and his slaver friends had abandoned. I took to eagle form and soon found the chained-up slaves, shivering in the morning dew. We came over and discovered that there were a couple of alfar, a cimbri of the brigantes tribe, a human, and some goblins. We hunted some food to feed them while we discussed what to do. Kuldar was pleased that these slaves had been dropped in our lap. This would allow us to continue our ruse as slavers, so that we could travel into the Saluri lands unmolested. Malcolm was not happy about selling slaves, and wanted to let them go. I was not really interested in actually selling the slaves, but did think we should take them into Medoc, and then decide what to do at that point. This is what we did.

We traveled on to Medoc. As we entered town we heard that there was a Rolgulkan mercenary unit camped in the city. We moved through town until we saw the encampment. We were to find out that this was a unit of sappers and night fighters called the “Stonebreakers” They were led by a half ogre named Vycos. We found lodging at an inn near to the mercenaries called the Hard Hand. We boarded the slaves in the stables, and went about our business. We did not intend to stay here for long, but did need to rest for a few days and see if we could find some more clues about the Yuan-ti.

We decided that we would sell the goblins to the Rolgulkans, and bring the other slaves with us to eventually let go. No one was sympathetic to the goblins, and they themselves expected the worst. Kuldar and I went to the mercenaries to make the deal for the goblins, and we sold some equipment to a dekkalfar who was trading arms near by. We also learned from the merchant that some humans were traveling with the Rolgulkans, though they rarely strayed from camp.

In the meantime Malcolm and Copoc set about learning of the situation with the war, and to maybe find out some information regarding the Nathrach, the Saluri tribe that we suspected was in league with the Yuan-ti. They found out that there had been a healer near the Hard Hand, named Solviss, who was from the Nathrach tribe. She had been called away about a month ago and had not returned to Medoc.

While Malcolm was waiting in the bar for us to return, he saw a woman who he recognized named Cryda. He was upset to see her, because apparently she had been a former shipmate of his who had betrayed them. He was upset that she was not back in Vacomagus where she was supposed to be serving some type of penance. Malcolm was wearing a new face now that he had been resurrected, so she seemingly did not recognize him. He talked to her and seemed as if he was trying to pick her up. At the same time he hoped to find out what she was doing here. He gave her a false name while he was doing this. Apparently Malcolm is not a ladies man. He was foiled on all of his attempts at gaining anything of use, either information or feminine companionship. Unfortunately, Copoc started talking to her and gave her his real name, even though he looked human due to the Hat of Disguise. Eventually Cryda left with another woman, and went upstairs to their room.

Kuldar and I came back and we compared notes. The stonebreakers would buy our goblins. They were waiting for the second part of a payment from the Seluris before they marched up and entered the coming war. Vycos was going to come examine the slaves and buy them, which he did. We went to the stables to check them out. He was particularly interested in buying the two Alfar. He eyed them greedily and licked his big half ogre lips. We did not sell them to him though, and he was disappointed. We went back to the inn, and this is where things got interesting.

Cryda came down the stairs and joined us at the table we were sitting at. She was carrying a bucket with a towel over it. She asked us if we knew of a man named “Malcolm” and his traveling companions. We of course denied any such knowledge. She didn’t seem convinced however, and told us that if we saw Malcolm and his friends, that we were to tell them to go back to Vacomagus and to forget about their quest. She told us that her employers, who we guessed were the Yuan-ti, would kill the group if they went any further. She put the bucket on the table and went back upstairs.

With trepidation, we lifted the towel and saw a pair of bloody hands in the bucket. Malcolm and Copoc quickly realized that the hands were from one of their former companions, Gann, a hobgoblin fighter. We quickly discussed things. We were all of the opinion that we should confront Cryda and her friend, who we had learned was a sorceress named Brethune. Kuldar wanted to send one of the Alfar slaves, who was a rogue, in their window to assassinate them, while he kicked in the door. No one else cared much for that idea. It was finally decided that Malcolm and the slave would go through the window, while the rest of us rushed the door of their room.

As we walked out to the stables to get the slave, an arrow suddenly sprouted from Malcolm’s back. From a window on the second floor of the Inn, Cryda was holding a bow. At the same time a chain lightning erupted outof the darkness of the stables - hitting me first and then bouncing to the party members and the slaves. It toasted all of them but the Alfar rogue. Worse yet, the obviously invisible sorceress did not re-appear after casting it!

Kuldar ran towards the only window into the barn and swung at empty space, hoping to connect. He missed. I cast a dispel magic and Kuldar had guessed right, even if her invisiblity had masked her.

She hissed at Kuldar, waved her hands and disappeared!

Malcom, having fought off the effects of what would turn out to be Wyvern poison shouted out, "The sorceress, she's up in the inn!"

I turned into an eagle and flew up towards the assassin's window, as Kuldar rushed back into the inn. Cryda hit Malcolm with another poisoned shot as he fought to get into the cover of the inn, again it was poisoned. Then Bethune’s familiar, a pseudo-dragon, flew down towards Malcolm and his sting, the third poison to hit him in a matter of seconds was too much for him. He fell to the ground unconscious. Copoc drove the thing off before it could kill him.

I thought I was in bad shape from the chain-lightning, but then Brethune hit me with some type of spell I was unfamiliar with which did a tremendous amount of damage. I was in bad shape. As I flew over to Copoc (who was trying to follow Kuldar into the inn) for some much needed healing, Cryda shot me with an arrow. By all Nature’s Fury I was hurting.

While Kuldar made promises to Vycos in the Inn to help us, I managed to summon up a giant constrictor in the room with our attackers. Brethune teleported out of the inn, and into the doorway of the stables as the giant snake looped itself around Cryda and began to squeeze. After some healing help from Copoc, I was alive enough to bring down a flame strike on Brethune. Although it obviously hurt her badly, she survived. Her pseudo-dragon familiar did not. She screamed and teleported away. Kuldar and Vycos burst into the room as Cryda was about to expire. She began to change slightly, and grew some fangs. It was apparent now that she was more than just a servant of the snake people -- she was one of them now.

I dispersed the giant constrictor before it killed Cryda. I must say that it looked disappointed. Copoc hypnotized her to find out what she knew, which wasn’t much. She did agree to lead us to the village of the Nathrach, if we didn’t kill her. We noticed that the stables and inn were still on fire, and set about extinguishing them.

Vycos demanded his payment from Kuldar for helping, and went to the stables. He grabbed the screaming, terrified living Alfar slave, as well as the dead one, and left to eat them. Kuldar just shrugged.

Last edited:

monkeyman

First Post
Gudlaug's player here. Yes, I was bothered by the fact that we gave the Alfar to the half-ogre for help in a fight, especially since the half-ogre didn't end up doing anything. I stayed quiet though, because 1) Gudlaug wasn't in the room where the deal was being brokered, and 2) Slavery is legal in the game setting, so what are you going to do. Kuldar had made the arraingement legally, and it was binding. If we had gotten into an arguement about it, I would only have suceeded in getting in a fight with the half-ogre, Vycos. He is the leader of the mercenary unit that was camped near by. There were no real good options.

Remove ads