Byzantium on the Shannon III

CleverName

Explorer
cipher said:
What adjustments, if any, did you make to the Shaman when you changed over to 3.5?

The only adjustment is that we changed to the 3.5 versions of the spells. This can be significant since each spirit's base allotment of spells (and therefore the spells available to the shaman) are based on a domain (a la the cleric)

Not as a part of a 3.5 redux, but to make it fit into Palaestra, I also changed the way the Spirit Plane worked. I did not like the fact that is was, in many ways, the Plane of Shadow, with whitewash:

The Spirit Plane (The Spirit World)

The Spirit Plane is the land of light, life and generation, the iconic ideal and potential of everything that is or has been. Those that believe in reincarnation also see it as the point of return for those beings returning to life. It is not the resting place of the dead, though a spiritual analogue for everything that has ever existed in the material world still resides in the timeless word of the spirits – so, in some way everything that has died exists in the world of the spirits, as do extinct animals, ancient lost civilizations, and creatures and places yet to be.

One way of thinking of the relationship between the Spirit Plane, Palaestra and the Plane of Shadow would be to think of a flower and the sun. The flower represents the physical world, or Palaestra. The flower’s shadow upon the grass is the shadow plane, and the life-giving light of the sun is the Spirit Plane.
Objects on the plane of the spirits are larger, more colorful, more energetic than their Material counterparts – the air is filled with blossoms, mists and cool breezes, like the perfect springtime morning, as if the rocks, rivers, mountains and clouds were about to stir into full wakefulness. It is the land of healing, recuperation and generation, a beginning time that never ends. When the sun breaks through the mists from time to time, it reveals luminous blue sky and nearly blinding light.

Periods of morning twilight, corresponding to night on the material plane, do occur, but there is effectively no night on the Spirit Plane.

While all of this sounds wonderful, keep in mind that the Spirit Plane is not “Good.” Don’t forget the cancer is but life run amok. This is the trap of the Spirit Plane and why the wise do not abuse its curative powers, lest the Spirit Plane lash out and destroy them.

The timeless, or more accurately, timefull nature of the Spirit Plane makes it nearly useless as a shortcut between points in the Material World, for those purposes, the Land of Shadows is better suited.

TRAITS

• Normal Gravity:The usual rules for ability scores, carrying capacity, and encumbrance apply in the Spirit World.

• Timeless: The effects of time are diminished on the Spirit Plane, creatures do not age, thirst or hunger – the effects of poison and disease are suspended, although damage, including initial damage, is not regenerated – poisons and disease merely lie dormant.

• The danger of such a timeless plane is that once one leaves such a plane for one where time flows normally, conditions such as hunger and aging do occur retroactively. The Spirit Plane can effectively become a prison to those who fall under its spell.

• Creatures may still eat or nap for pleasure, without any harmful effects.

• Infinite Size: The Spirit Plane extends in all directions – a chaotic mish-mash of all terrains and ecologies that have, do or will ever exist in the real world.

• Sentient: The Spirit Plane is a spirit in and of itself, representing the spiritual essence of Palaestra. There is a 1% cumulative chance per day of the plane responding to interlopers by leading them into a nidus or sending some of its emissaries to attack the trespassers.

Alignment Traits:

• Minor Positive Dominant: Just as the Shadow Plane has a connection to the realm of Negative Energy, the Spirit world is connected to the Positive Energy plane. All creatures gain Fast Healing 2 as an extraordinary ability for as long as they remain on the Spirit Plane. Some small regions on the Spirit Plane, called a nidus, have the major positive-dominant trait, however, see below.

• Minor Chaos Dominant: Lawful creatures have a –2 to all Charisma checks on the Spirit Plane.

• Mildly Neutral Aligned: This has no real effect on play.

Magical Traits:

• Enhanced Magic: All healing spells are treated as prepared by the Empowered Spell feat, although they don’t require higher spell slots. All Divination spells are treated as prepared by the Extend Spell feat, although they don’t require higher spell slots.

• Impeded Magic: All spells that use or generate shadow or darkness may fail when cast on the Spirit Plane. A spellcaster attempting to cast a spell with darkness or shadow in the descriptor must succeed at a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the level of the spell).

• All creatures which suffer ill effects from sunlight have the effects doubled on the Spirit Plane.

Travel to the Spirit Plane

The Spirit Plane is linked to the Prime Material, the Positive Energy Plane, The World Tree and the Ethereal Plane. Coterminous Portals can be found linking these planes from the Spirit Plane, although they are often guarded. It is a matter of some debate if the Plane of Shadow actually touches the Spirit Plane – such portals, if extant, must be well guarded.
Shaman are the only spellcasters that normally possess spells granting easy access to the Sprit World, although other, generic plane-hopping spells, such as gate, will work as well.

Travel on the Spirit Plane

The Spirit Plane actually overlaps Palaestra, but it is not exactly coterminous due to the timeless nature of the Sprit World. A single locale in our world effectively has an infinite number of versions of itself in the Spirit world, one for each moment in time. The metropolis of Iconium in the year 450’s spiritual analogue (it’s idealized state) exists as does the same plot of land a hundred years ago, and the thousand years from now. A field in Palaestra may be, in turn, mountain, a lake, a castle, a forest, a desert and a field – because that is the “life cycle” of the area, and the Spirit world contains all those potentialities. A person could spend a lifetime wandering around a 10-ft area.

If a person jumped onto the Spirit Plane traveled “north” for three days, he or she could find that he or she only traveled a few feet or thousands of miles. First, calculate the distance the person would have traveled. The actual distance traveled is 1d10x1d10% of the distance that would have been traveled on the Prime Material Plane.

Persons experienced with the Spirit Plane learn to mark their point of entry with one of their possessions from their home plane. This signpost will allow the traveler to return to their exact point of entry, rather than be catapulted hundreds of miles off course. A traveler who wants to find the direction to a signpost must make a DC 15 Knowledge (the planes) check A signpost must be left each time the traveler enters the plane and they cannot be reused, nor can previous signposts be located.

Time Travel

The Spirit Plane always returns a creature leaving it to its correct time, so you do not have to worry about weird dilation effects.

Nidus

A nidus is a section of the Spirit Plane that contains a portal to the Positive Energy Plane. These areas have the major positive dominant trait and are very dangerous.

A creature in a major positive-dominant area must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid being blinded for 10 rounds by the brilliance of the surroundings. Simply being in this area grants fast healing 5 as an extraordinary ability. In addition, those at full hit points gain 5 additional temporary hit points per round. These temporary hit points fade 1d20 rounds after the creature leaves the major positive- dominant plane. However, a creature must make a DC 20 Fortitude save each round that its temporary hit points exceed its normal hit point total. Failing the saving throw results in the creature exploding in a riot of energy, killing it.

Last edited:

Gideon

First Post
Thank you for the quick and helpful response.

Next, you work at a university, can you convince them that finals are the bane of all existence?

CleverName

Explorer
Gideon said:
Thank you for the quick and helpful response.

Next, you work at a university, can you convince them that finals are the bane of all existence?

Actually, I have convinced everyone, but your university...sorry.

Buona Fortuna, Gideon!

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 19

Secrets of The Ard Nathrach
...or Copoc Gets the Munchies...
by Malcomb (Remi Treuer)

"I must be insane!" I thought as I ran down the hall after the Dragon who had wounded me so terribly just moments before. I heard a great Splash and Kuldar's curse. Gudlag was just ahead of me, and, after a slight pause to confer with me, we both dove in, he as a porpoise, and myself, trusting in the magic of the torc around my neck, as a salmon. We swam frantically through the underwater cavern Cyranog had escaped into; coming to an opening, we breached the surface of the cool cave water, and took a quick glance around what must have been Cyranog's lair. Piles of coins, and busted chest, and many other items lay scattered around the dank hole, but Cyranog was nowhere to be seen. We continued our way along the underground river, and it finally burbled up from underground, the sunlight almost blinding me. Once again, no Cyranog. He must have gotten away.

We swam back towards the cave, and came upon Copoc, Andreas, and Dario swimming towards us under the effects of a water breathing spell. We all came up in Cyranog’s lair, and, warily, lest the Dragon had become invisible again, advanced on the hoard of treasure. We didn’t meet a blast of acid, and continued toward the huge pile of coins, and . . . a coffin.

The coffin had clearly been opened before, but before curiosity got the best of me, I turned and asked Andreas, “Where’s Kuldar?”

“He ran off towards that sealed portcullis instead of joining us underwater.”

“Ah well, what he doesn’t know what hurt him, eh?” I said, and broken into a wide grin, my hand sweeping around the room of loot. I then turned back to the coffin, and did a cursory check for traps. The top of the coffin appeared to have been ripped off a long, long time ago. Any traps had been set off then. Gudlag examined it with his magical vision, and inside the coffin there was a powerful magical force. We pried the top off the coffin, and revealed a body, clearly human, still armored in a beautiful set of plate armor and holding a sword. I checked the body, and again came up with nothing. I noticed Andreas glancing over the various symbols and signs etched on the corpses accoutrements.

“By Logos, it can’t be! This is a body of a knight of Saint Uriah, the demon-slayer! The inscription reads ‘Selucius Megas Tagaris.’ ”

“Excellent!” I exclaimed, “Who better to find before fighting a demon?”

Andreas glanced at me, and wrinkled his head in thought, “What is an iconian knight, in so ancient a livery doing so far into Faerie? His coffin was moved here recently, but he has been dead at least two hundred years -- maybe more”

“According to legend he came to the Cimbri lands to help fight a terrible demon. He apparently succeeded, but was never heard from again. This must be his famed sword.”

Dario reached into the coffin and lifted the sword from the dry corpse’s hands. It immediately began to glow brightly.

"A Holy weapon of St. Uriah,” he whispered, in awe.

Gudlag rolled his eyes out of sight of the humans, but we all nodded, hoping we’d find more answers if we explored the rest of Cyranog’s cave. We collected the nearly 8,000 in gold (in various currencies) and swam back to main cave. Dario took the weapon and armor -- with a prayer to the knight and their shared god. When we emerged, Kuldar was nowhere to be seen, but the portcullis gate was smashed to bits, so it wasn’t hard to surmise where he was.

There was a stairway downwards, which we dutifully descended. At the bottom there was a thick, sweet smoke coming from several torches and braziers. I had to fight off the wooziness, as did the others, or so I thought. A look that could only be described as… a grin, spread across Copoc’s face. His inscrutable expression seemed wide, and placid.

“Are you alright, Copoc?” Gudlag asked.

“I’m just fine, just fine…” hissed our now-baked lizard companion.

We pressed ahead and came to a large room with four cages in it. Three of the cages held Cimbri of various stripes, while the last held a pack of stoned, yet still surly dwarves. Kuldar was trying to bring the dwarves out of the stupor caused by the sweet smoke (the smell reminded me of that old dwarven grandma’s cave back in Adaroth), but had not yet freed them. I fiddled with the locks, and freed them. The dwarves piled out and thanked Kuldar effusively. The largest was Tokar — the forgemaster that Kuldar had been whining about ever since we met him.

We then turned our collective attention to the other cages of captives. When we addressed the cage with only four Cimbri in it, they smiled and changed into 30-foot-long snakes with huge ram’s horns! We had finally found the Ard Nathrach! I immediately freed them, and, assured by the Ard Nathrach that the other captives were their retainers and friends, released them, as well.

The leader of the Ard Nathrach was named Tyrell, and he told us that the sword Dario was carrying belonged to an ancient Iconian hero, who had come to help the Ard Nathrach put down a terrible demon named Galavesh. The hero defeated Galavesh – driving him into the tomb, but at the cost of his own life. The Ard Nathrach had buried the knight with great honor, and continued living, even though Galavesh had severely reduced their numbers.

“Why did you need an Iconian to help you?” I asked, “You guys are huge!”

“We are large, and though our aspect is fearsome, we are a peaceful people,” he replied, “We are healers, not fighters. Moreover, this creature that we call the Donas Nathair, the devil serpent, had a hide that protected it against our most powerful weapons and our spells were often ineffectual as well. Our king, Bel, cast a mighty ritual and asked the Fates for a weapon to defeat the beast. He had a vision of a human knight – creatures unknown to us at that time – which lived far to the south. Bel and some of the Cimbri Nathrach ventured there and persuaded him to come. He saved us."

I looked abashed, “Where are the rest of your kin?”

“We are the last Ard Nathrach,” Tyrell looked sullenly at the ground, “Galavesh has returned, with the help of his servants Krace. Galavesh murdered all but us, and sacrificed our leader, Bel, tearing his heart out at the altar of his unholy temple.”

The room was thick with emotion.

“We must drive this demon from our midst,” raged Kuldar.

“Indeed!” said Gudlag, “But first we must leave this place and formulate a plan.”

We all nodded our assent, gathered our large party, and set off from the cave into the swamp. Taking Tyrell’s counsel, we discussed our plan of action. Once we were in the swamp Andreas teleported, the forgemaster, and three apprentices, back to Vacomagus. Andreas would speak to the Queen about a plan of attack, and then teleport back to us. Tyrell would remain with us, and the other Ard Nathrach would take the remaining captives we had freed and hide in the swamp. They were apparently very adept at this, and we trusted they could keep out of trouble for the day or two it would take to end this little war. When Andreas reappeared, he brought tidings from the Queen. She had ended the war between the Silures and Brigantes by threatening to join the war on the Silures side if the Brigantes didn’t back off.

It also turned out that one of the Yuan-ti had impersonated the Brigantes queen and almost succeeded in poisoning the King – we had little doubt our sorceress friend was behind this. Nighean had also assembled the Vacomagus army, and was going to teleport them behind the great fort/roadblock that we had passed earlier, and attack it from behind! They would be attacking tomorrow at noon, in order to give us time to plan.

Andreas also brought us some Resist Poison potions and some oils to anoint our weapons. These oils would align our weapons as Good (as in Divinely Good), and hopefully make them more effective against an objectively Evil creature like Galavesh. We had requested these from Nighean, and, in her wisdom, she bestowed them upon us.

We were quite happy with this turn of events. It would mean that we would not have to deal with that large force, but just the core of Galavesh’s force. If we were lucky it would just be Krace, Bethune, and Cyranog, and, of course, Galavesh itself. With our party together again, Copoc took us, including Tyrell, to the Spirit Plane.

The Spirit Plane was wide, and riotous with color, with immense forests and air filled with pollen and golden dust. There seemed to be no real correlation between our positions in the ‘Real’ world. We healed extremely quickly, wounds closing, shattered bones knitting almost instantaneously. It was creepy, but peaceful. Copoc went about summoning the soul of the dead Ard Nathrach king, Bel, and when he appeared near our camp, at the edge of a small ghostly wood, Copoc spoke with him in whispered, revered tones.

When he returned he told us that King Bell wished us luck, and that we should not attack Galavesh at anything less than full strength. Copoc also clenched his fist and hissed. He finally revealed that Galavesh was the same being who had razed the Kulkan civilization, and helped create the dread Black Kulkans as his servants. This worried us greatly, Copoc was no slouch, and to destroy his kind would be a monumental task. I blanched for a moment at taking on such an awesome foe, but was soon drawn into the planning of our assault.

What we finally settled on was that we would ride Tyrell and Gudlag into the Nathrach town and attack the temple by air. When we touched down, the magic users would cast a number of spells on Kuldar, Dario, and myself. Chief among the spells was enlarge, which would give us both an intimidation and added hit bonuses. We would also be shielded from either Acid or Fire attacks. I would also have Bull’s Strength. Hopefully I wouldn’t be as thoroughly outclassed as I was in our last battle.

Our party healed, and the spellcasters replenished, we came back to our customary plane of existence. We calculated it would take us two hours to reach the Nathrach village, and so we set off just under two hours from the Vacomagi attack. As we came into sight of the village, we heard, far in the distance, war horns sounding. I wished my brethren luck, quaffed my Bull’s Strength potion, and held on. The four guards in front of the multi-tiered temple in the village quailed as they saw us set down and fall upon them with our intense fury.

We quickly disposed of three of the guards, but the fourth ran inside the temple. Kuldar bellowed and ran in after him. A blast of acid caught Dario in the face from inside, and suddenly a lightning bolt hit us from the side! That was Bethune’s signature! She was outside with us, but I could not see her. Kuldar engaged Cyranog, and an old face stepped out from the darkness inside the temple. Gann, my old companion, charged towards me, bellowing. He had changed, though. In addition to the protruding fangs in his mouth, his arms had been replaced by two writhing snakes, holding his customary falchion in their clamped mouths. I stood toe-to-toe with Gann, exchanging blows, barely conscious of what was happening around me. I could hear Gudlag and Andreas chanting and casting. I chanced to glimpse over my shoulder as Gudlag cast a spell that made the outlines of the invisible forms of Bethune and another (must be Krace!) appear in sparkling lights.

I heard Kuldar curse, and wished him luck against his mighty foe. His curses turned to laughter, and I soon heard the clash of his greataxe against the tough draconic hide. Gann continued to pummel me, and I was near my limit, bleeding from a dozen deep wounds, when Gudlag called a small lightning bolt to strike him, and he fell in front of me. That’s when things got really bad. Tyrell, in the form of a great moving tree, was, along with Copoc, engaging Krace. Both were taking mighty damage from the Yuan Ti leader, but he seemed to be worse for the wear. Lightning and fire hit Krace and Bethune again and again, and finally Krace fell, but Bethune gestured and a wall of fire sprung up around our entire party (save Kuldar, who was too far away to be trapped). I almost passed out then and there, but Copoc healed me, and I staggered to my feet. Andreas and Gudlag continued launching spells at Bethune, but she must have had many, many magical shields and charms cast upon her, for none found their mark. I fired my great bow at her, to no avail. Finally, Dario charged through the great flame wall, and began hacking at Bethune. At last she fell under his attack and a volley of fire from Gudlag. At nearly the same time, I heard Kuldar curse again, and, wishing him great luck, heard his cry of dismay turn into a whoop of triumph. The great dragon screamed and fell in a great pile to the floor at almost the same moment Bethune did.

Breathing heavily, I looked at my battered comrades. We had to decide whether to wait, and allow Galavesh the chance to escape (and almost certainly be killed in the encounter), or heal, and give the demon a chance to re-form his forces? All I knew is that I hurt, and that without Galavesh, it would only be half a victory.

A quick scouring of the bodies of our enemies revealed a trove of treasures:

Bethune
Weapons: +1 shortspear, +1 Mithril Chain Shirt
Magic: +2 Ring of Protection, Cloak of Resistance +3, Salve of Slipperiness
Potions: Fly, Cure Serious, Remove Blindness/Deafness
Coin: 2,530

Krace
Weapons: +2 Shocking Greatclub, +1 Large chainmail for anathema
Magic: Ring of Mind Shielding, scrolls (create food and water, wind wall [5th caster], restorations [7th caster]), ring of sustenance, elemental Gem: water, Silversheen, Stone salve
Potions: Cure Serious, Remove Blindness/Deafness
Coin: 5000

Gann
Weapons: +2 Falchion, +1 Mighty Composite Long Bow (+3), +2 Mithril Chain
Coin: 3000

Copoc reminded us of Bel’s warning and he once again took us into the strange refuge of the Spirit Plane.

Tomorrow, Galavesh would die, or we would die trying to slay him.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure #20

Galavesh Meets His Maker
(Or Merrshaulk Returns to the Drawing Board)

By Copoc Kitzam (David Nickerson)

We spent nearly a day in the Spirit Plane, reposing in its rejuvenating embrace while we formulated our plan of attack. Our many talks with Bel and Gondoc both added to our knowledge of Galavesh and bolstered our courage, but at the same time left us with the distinct impression that we may all very well die. Bel continued to insist that we build our strength and devise strategies that would prepare us for a number of possible mishaps. Gondoc, impatient as always, wanted to attack immediately. I think that he has grown rather fond of Kuldar, especially after the bit with the dragon. At any rate, the time for action was soon upon us. I wanted as much as anyone to end the menace of Galavesh once and for all, but I felt a growing sadness as I ended the Spirit Jump and returned us to the material plane. It had become increasingly difficult for me to leave that wonderful place and I was filled with an intense regret. It soon dissipated however, as we materialized near Krace’s headquarters and I was reminded once more of the atrocities inflicted upon my race by this abomination’s master. The druid Sativola was there, as were many Cimbri warriors. Bodies littered the landscape and it appeared that Sativola was directing an effort to seal the compound. He spied us at once and approached immediately, both relieved and surprised. “We thought you were dead!”

“A close call,” replied Gudlaug, “but we merely retreated to rest and regain our strength.”

“Excellent work,” Sativola said. He looked us up and down, obviously impressed at what we had accomplished. “We burned the corpses that you left behind.”

“Good idea,” I said, and we all breathed a sigh of relief, plagued as we were by visions of our fallen foes returning.

“Galavesh is inside,” he continued. “We sent in fifteen of our best and brightest warriors to destroy him. They all have perished.” He walked over to a lumpy puddle of goo that vaguely resembled something that once was humanoid and nudged it with his boot. “Melted down by Galavesh’s acidic venom.” Sativola shook his head regretfully. “I summoned a terrible storm to pummel him and he has retreated inside. I entered the compound in rat-form to investigate, but having seen what Galavesh can do I dared not go too deep. We thought it best to seal him inside.”

“That never works,” grumbled Kuldar, “you’ve got to lay into these things with a good solid axe…”

“We believe that we might be able to destroy this monster,” interrupted Gudlaug, and the rest of the party nodded in agreement. Gondoc was salivating blood and urged me to speed things up.

“We must proceed with the utmost of caution,” warned Bel with a no-nonsense intensity.

“Nonsense,” retorted Gondoc. “We’ve all seen how your strategy works.” At this point, his face twisted in agony, Gondoc feigned having a still-beating heart ripped from his chest. All of my ancestor spirits had a good chuckle, and even Kanul Yat Balam seemed to crack a brief smile at Gondoc’s antics. The Ard-Nathrach king, however, was not amused. “And what of your tactics heathen? What price have you ultimately paid for your brash folly?”

“Folly? Whose descendants number in the tens you legless blunder?”

“Knock it off before I dismiss you both,” I said without meaning it, but my ploy seemed to work. I anchored both of these powerful spirits to this reality, and neither wanted to leave before seeing this through.

Apparently I had spoken rather loudly, for I found that Sativola was studying me intensely. “Who are you talking to?” he inquired.

“No one,” Gudlaug quickly answered before I could even try to explain the nature of spirits and their relationship to the world around us. “It’s a long story.”

Finally we prepared ourselves to enter the compound. I called upon Gondoc to enlarge Malcolm and Kuldar and to grant bull’s strength to Malcolm and Dario while Xmukane Kan likened my skin to stone. Gudlaug and Andreas placed various protections upon themselves, Dario, and Tyrell. The entrance was very dark and we could hear nothing so Andreas cast invisibility upon Malcolm and charged his favored dagger with a light to prepare him for scouting ahead. Bel had endeavored to give us every possible advantage, and at this point suggested blessing one of the dwarves with his true sight. Grasping the Ard-Nathrach tooth that anchored Bel to this plane I allowed the spell to be cast on Gudlaug. Following the spot where we suspected Malcolm might be, we moved down the hall and into a larger room. Andreas recognized this as the place where he had scryed Bethune and Krace days before. There was a door straight ahead of us and also one to the left. We heard a chanting from this direction and suddenly the room was plunged into deep darkness. Invoking his strange yet familiar magics, Gudlaug dispelled the darkness and began preparing to turn the stone door into mud. Just as he completed this task, I convinced Xmukane Kan to haste the entire party. We crept down a short hall that opened into a large room housing the Yuan-ti Anathema, Galavesh. Sprouting six snake-like heads, the creature was hideous and it towered above us all. A large quiver rested upon its back holding several javelin-like weapons that appeared to be crafted from spinal columns.

Galavesh began taunting us immediately. “Bow before my mightiness and I may allow you to serve as my slaves!” he bellowed. Gondoc was about to explode and his spirit warriors were snarling and snapping like mad. I still could not see Malcolm, but Dario and Kuldar moved closer only to stop and shrink back as they drew near. I gripped my newly acquired shock club and thought wistfully of Yax Che Mal, but I knew that my place would not be on the front lines in this battle At this point Andreas stepped up and was able to counter the aversion that afflicted Dario, Kuldar, and apparently Malcolm. Tyrell moved forward as well and the three warriors surrounded the boastful beast. I could only assume that Malcolm had moved behind Galavesh to gain a flanking advantage. Gudlaug chose this moment to unleash his dreaded flame strike, and I fully expected the monster to be reduced to cinders. Unfortunately, when the flames had diminished we could see that Galavesh was annoyed but apparently unconcerned. But we had drawn first blood! He struck at Kuldar, Dario, and Tyrell but missed on all three counts.* “Your pitiful little band cannot harm me,” he prattled to all who cared to listen, “for I am….. Galavessshhh!” He drew out the last syllable, ecstatic to hear the sound of his own name. The Anathema faltered momentarily, however, as our warriors four struck. Weapons glistening with oil and divinely good, each hero left his indelible mark in the creature’s resilient hide. Tyrell ripped a gaping wound and Kuldar’s axe was devastating as always. Malcolm delivered a mighty blow further enhanced by his magical belt and Dario slashed and stabbed with deadly accuracy. I thought for sure this unholy abomination would fall! Alas, he did not. In response to this awesome onslaught his demeanor altered slightly and he seemed to focus on Dario “I remember that sword!” Galavesh gazed with hatred at the Holy weapon of Saint Uriah- the very blade that had once carved his doom. Gondoc was becoming abusive because I had not yet initiated the ritual that would release his kulkan horde, but I did not know the full extent of my companions’ capabilities and thought it prudent to expose any weaknesses that Galavesh might have. Kanul Yat Balam and Bel readily agreed, and Kanul began an incantation to reveal his vulnerabilities. The behemoth took extra damage from Holy weapons, was resistant to electricity, and was immune to acid and poison. I could only hope that this information would prove useful. An acrid smell filled the air as Galavesh lashed out against my comrades, amazingly missing all four.*

The warriors all retaliated, dealing more damage than I had ever witnessed in a single combat, yet still the brute stood. Gondoc had become insane with rage by this time, and I allowed the swarming pack to pour forth, their teeth and claws phasing in and out of this reality as they rushed toward their intended prey. Gondoc laughed delightedly as his ghost minions ripped and tore into the offensive flesh of Galavesh Once more the creature’s demeanor changed, and this seemingly indestructible horror looked straight at me with penetrating eyes. “I will save you for last shaman!”

Galavesh remained the braggart, but his anger burned and I wondered momentarily if he could see Bel and Gondoc standing beside me. I focused my full attention on directing the spirit warriors!!! Meanwhile, as Kuldar and Tyrell swung away, Galavesh struck once more, grappling and constricting both Dario and Malcolm in two of his serpent-like appendages. We were assaulted by an acrid odor as Galavesh began to muster his deadly acid. The color of his hide changed before our eyes, becoming a little more nauseous if possible, and he brimmed with confidence, unaware that Andreas had imbued my comrades with acid protection.

Gondoc’s death pack converged on Galavesh once more, but he seemed to shrug off the wounds that now covered nearly half of his enormous form. As Gudlaug and I discussed the possibility of unleashing some elementals to put more pressure on Galavesh, Andreas blasted our foe with a ray of enfeeblement. I had seen this powerful spell work previously on Cyranog and it proved just as debilitating to the Yuan-ti Anathema, allowing Malcolm to break free and roll to safety. Kuldar and Tyrell continued their attempts to free Dario while Andreas prepared a feeblemind spell. Exuberant as they were to exert themselves in the material world, Gondoc’s warrior minions were becoming frustrated and yearned to attack the nearest and most vulnerable targets. It took all of my concentration to keep them locked in on Galavesh. They clawed and chewed at the towering monstrosity, unaffected by the acid that gushed from wounds as they tore off strips of scaly flesh. The feeblemind failed, but Andreas was desperate to save his bodyguard and finally he put Galavesh down with an empowered scorching ray. We all stared at the demonic fiend, not believing that it was truly over. I was shaken briefly as I imagined (?) two small bits of stringy meat moving ever so slowly toward the core of the carnage. Was it regenerating? Illusion or not, it was soon dispelled, as Kuldar, Malcolm, and Dario pulverized the corpse with axe and sword. As we moved out of the chamber to investigate the door we had seen earlier, Gondoc stood fast over the heaping mound of shredded flesh and entrails, arms folded across his massive chest. He looked perplexed. “What, we’re not eating?”

The door was indeed trapped, but Malcolm disabled a device that was designed to drop the room’s very floor. Thankful to avoid the unknown perils below, we moved into a small alcove filled with scrolls. These proved to hold vast amounts of valuable information. Eight of them comprised the diary of Krace, interspersed with alchemical formulae and drawings. We determined immediately that we would destroy any formula that revealed the recipe for demon’s breath. The diary was written in both Yuan-ti and common.

From skimming the scrolls we learned that ten years ago the Emperor of Navinda, a Yuan-ti city in Akkadia, decided to send an expedition to Skia Thalassa. He chose Krace, a respected priest of Merrshaulk; Wulvera, one of his most trusted spies; and Ophia, one of his courtiers. Unknown to the other two, Krace had motivations other than the spread of “scaly supremacy” and the undermining of the Akkadian Princes’ wealth from the distant West. He wished to locate an ancient evil, the Anathema known as Galavesh. Wulvera settled in Kostelna and set about taking over the prostitution and drug business. Ophia ensconced herself with the Three Mothers- notably dwelling in a floating palace/port called the Shadow Barge.

When Wulvera and Ophia learned of Krace’s plans to unleash Galavesh, they drove him from the “nest” leadership. He had hoped to return to their good graces via the Demon’s Breath formulae. Adept and determined, Krace managed to strike up a friendship with the Nathrach and eventually learned the whereabouts of Galavesh’s prison (an old barrow) in the swamps. While searching for the barrow, Krace encountered a black dragon named Cyranog. They formed an alliance and the dragon helped Krace and his followers to free Galavesh Krace turned Cyranog into a ti-halat, and Galavesh gave it the scaly skin graft-making the dragon’s armor almost invulnerable. Cyranog moved its treasure into the old tomb, becoming a warden for Krace’s prisoners and a guardian for the holy weapon that Galavesh fears.

About two months ago, two of the Yuan-ti purebloods that escaped the temple in Kostelna came to Krace and told him of Wulvera’s fate and the adventurers that killed her. They also warned Ophia, the third Yuan-ti leader who lives with the Three Mothers.

Ophia and Krace set about hunting down Wulvera’s murderers. They mostly used Bethune and Cryda for this, but there were reports from unnamed spies and it seemed like Ophia had also joined the search. They were never able to locate the sorcerer Makar, but found Gann in Ulforsi, and Copoc and Malcolm in Jormunsteinn. They captured Gann, tortured him, and converted him to the cause.

I thought of our first encounter with Cryda and felt a rush of guilt. Although disguised at the time, I had helped to reveal our location when I spoke my true name. This had subsequently led to an ambush by Bethune. I would have to be more careful in the future, but truly, who could have imagined that Copoc was such an uncommon name among the mammals?

We were also fortunate enough to discover new information from the scrolls concerning Galavesh- the chosen of Merrshaulk. Three scrolls were of Kulkan skin and written in Kulkan script. They were difficult to decipher, but revealed that Galavesh was driven out of his birthplace, Navinda, by nobles who were obviously jealous of his power and majesty and resentful of his rightful rule as their god-emperor He fled the West on a ship and discovered a large city of Kulkans called Tikul on a snow-capped and mountainous volcanic isle.

Outside of the city Galavesh encountered a nesting pair of black dragons in some swampland Some escaped Kulkan slaves from Tikul were living with the dragons as their servants Galavesh used magic and potions to turn them all into his worshippers, and then helped to foment a revolt among the slaves of the Tikul, bringing hundreds into his power. He then used scaly skin grafts and the sorcery of the dragons to transform several of the Kulkan slaves into great warriors. They proceeded to sack Tikul and forced the rightful rulers into the swamps. For a period of about five years the Black Kulkans held sway, turning the tables on their former masters.

Eventually a hero arose among the dispossessed Kulkans driven from Tikul. His name was Gondoc After several failed attempts to unite his people and drive off the Black Kulkans and their new God Galavesh, Gondoc called upon one of the nearly forgotten dark gods of the Kulkans, Chac: the Blood Rain. Gondoc used his newfound powers to route the Black Kulkans and destroy Galavesh’s most prized and evil creation- the Black King. But the price was terrible. Gondoc’s own two children were sacrificed to Chac. Galavesh cursed the city to never flourish again and fled north this time, swimming eventually into Skia Thalassa.

I was both shocked and disappointed. Gondoc’s sacrifice seemed severe and also quite insane! I remembered being warned as a child of the horrors of Chac and the Blood Rain. No rational being would ever dare to approach this dark god! But then no one had ever accused Gondoc of being rational! I considered the dire circumstances and determined that I was not qualified to judge him. After all, the future of my entire race hung in the balance and the scales had been tipped in favor of Galavesh and the Black Kulkans. I was just thankful that I had not been forced to face Chac and the Blood Rain! Few can comprehend such evil, powerful enough to swallow Galavesh whole and spit his black bones in the face of Merrshaulk

We walked out into the sunlight to find Sativola and his Cimbri preparing once more to seal the compound. Myra, the Siluri Ambassador to the Vacomagus Court, was also present. Everyone was surprised as we emerged, and there were hushed whispers as monies were exchanged. Gudlaug approached an unbelieving Cimbri, lighter now by several weeks pay, and said “Never bet against the dwarves!”

Questions filled the air and I unwisely suggested to my comrades that we ask White Dragon about the Shadow Barge. “You guys know a dragon?” asked a very loud Cimbri. Sativola was staring at me once again.

“White Dragon is just a nick name,” Andreas assured everyone, covering once more for my slippery tongue.

“Yessss,” I added, “a very knowledgable fellow.” Gudlaug quickly agreed. Luckily, such a close call reminded us all of our surroundings. Collectively we made a mental note to carefully monitor what was said in mixed company. We were somewhat relieved when Sativola dispatched some Cimbri to burn the remains of Galavesh. Whispers of white dragons continued amongst the remaining Cimbri warriors however.

Myra offered to teleport us all to Vacomagus for a celebration. This invitation was well received to be sure, but we announced that first we must retrieve our ship and attend to a few other pressing matters. “Well let’s get the talking ship and go!” blurted Kuldar.

“You guys have a talking ship?” inquired another very loud Cimbri. Soon everyone was chattering excitedly about talking ships. “Strong dwarven ale’” Gudlaug suggested with a smile. Sativola did not appear entirely convinced.

We were all exhausted and what followed seemed a blur. Kuldar, having successfully completed his assignment, teleported back to Vacomagus with Myra. Andreas teleported Gudlaug to Medoc so that he might convince the Rogulkan captain Vykos to take his troops into Siluri lands and annihilate anything that even remotely resembled a snake. Sativola grew feathers and flew away. When Andreas and Gudlaug returned we had a serious discussion about how best to deal with Kuldar’s blunder and the growing “talking ship” buzz.

My mind wandered. Kanul Yat Balam reminded me of the very first spirit that I had ever cajoled, a mischievous chaoswisp named Gopas. He had served me well and his only wish had been that I aid him with his practical jokes. On several occasions we had arranged elaborate rituals centered on the burning of vision weed. We had then set about making my spiritblind brethren believe they could now see the spirits! Gopas had then cast his spells and we shared many laughs as rocks and bushes called out the children’s names and sent them on silly quests

“Magic mouth,” I suggested. “Problem solved.”

Everyone agreed and Andreas teleported off to procure a wand of magic mouth to attach to white Dragon’s rigging.

Soon we had boarded White Dragon. He was not pleased with Kuldar’s indiscretion, but seemed at least temporarily satisfied with our solution. After hearing our adventures and of the ensuing battle with Galavesh, White Dragon surprised us by revealing that he had decided to go ahead and test the shadow sail. He was weary from its use, but informed us that it indeed provided a means of entering and traveling through the Shadow Plane. Gudlaug was anxious to try it as well and read a few pages from the instruction manual. We immediately phased into the Shadow Plane, and I must say that it was a most wretched place! It was dark, and cold, and everything seemed shrouded within an impenetrable mist. I was able to communicate with Kanul Yat Balam, Gondoc, Bel, and Ikali Mox, but my lesser spirit allies seemed to fade away. They all urged me to leave and I agreed with their assessment. This place was the antithesis to the comfort and splendor of the Spirit World. I felt as if I were trapped, suffocating. I shivered uncontrollably. It was similar to the way I felt performing the summoning ritual for Dalas Salik…

Gudlaug read some more text and brought us out of the Shadow Plane. He was thoroughly exhausted, but satisfied with his mastery of the transition ritual. I was very happy to be home and sailing for Vacomagus.

We arrived in the Cimbri city already heroes! Queen Nighean feasted us and granted us boons. She offered us aid, free passage through her fair city, and also said that we would always be welcome to stay in her court. Malcolm was commissioned as a captain in the Vacomagus “Navy.” All in all we were treated as royalty. We told our tale over and over and were questioned incessantly about the Yuan-ti, Galavesh, and talking ships! I was most grateful when the Queen agreed to pass along any information she might receive concerning the location of Tikul We all agreed that our first order of business would be to locate and destroy Ophia. We would spend a month or so in Vacomagus, sort through our treasure, and then hunt down the last of the Yuan-ti “nest” and the Three Mothers

This having been decided, I asked my comrades for their future aid in locating the lost city of Tikul. Despite their many obligations, Andreas and Dario agreed to help “Of course, of course,” Malcolm proclaimed, raising his wine glass in a toast. “You have been a fast friend Copoc.”

“Copoc is never fast,” Gudlaug replied, joining the toast.

“Well now, that would depend on how long I’ve been in the sun wouldn’t it?” I corrected.

For unexplained reasons my friends thought I had delivered some sort of punch line. They laughed and laughed but refused to explain the joke. I swear I will never understand mammals!

*GM NOTE: I hit a few more times than reported, but not much more. As with any of the fights at the climax of a story arc, I make my rolls in the open. Most of the time I needed something like a 6-8 on the die to hit, and true to Copoc's tale most of the time I missed!

Ack!

Even Keith (Andreas'player) was rollin' better than I, and that's saying a lot!

;) So it goes sometimes...

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 21

Draconic Rashômon

GM's NOTE: The last session was one in which I pulled out each PC for a bit of solo gaming as the party went through a month's downtime. I asked each player to write up their experiences. Unfortunately, we got some mixed news. Remi found a job, but it will mean that he will be out of the game for at least a month or two.

Andreas' Telling (Keith Martin)

Andreas shifted nervously from foot to foot, awaiting his audience with Queen Nighean. The typically silver-tongued wizard was unaccustomed to dealing with someone in her position, and he feared his glibness would desert him. Even in Iconium, his home, where he was well versed in the customs and protocols of the Nobility, he was unaccustomed to dealing with actual Royals. In the court of the queen of the Vacomagi, he was entirely out of his element. He tried to pay attention to the matter currently before the court, but was unable to keep his thoughts on the affairs of the cimbri. He thought again on his unexpected discovery of a Logosian shrine right here in the heart of eastern faerie.

He was on his way to the docks to confront a certain cursed White Dragon with a few insights he’d had when he noticed it for the first time – a small archway, and beyond, a simple mosaic figure on the wall, a figure of St. Attalus. A warrior-saint so puissant that the bodyguards of the High King of the Faerie had declined to slay him when they might have, out of respect for his skill at arms and devotion in battle, Attalus was well known as the foremost warrior of the early days of the Iconian empire. Andreas himself revered Decius, the Saint that had devised (or stolen, as the fae would have it) the secrets of arcane lore, previously the domain of the fae alone, and made them available to man forever afterwards. But he could not fail to recognize the Patron of Paladins, with the famous flail in one fist and the ever-present tankard of ale in the other. As he watched, a young human stepped out of the doorway, dropping a few silvers into the plate as he did so. Andreas, of course, could hardly pass by without at least investigating.

The shrine itself was small, simple, and somewhat sparse – Attalus, Andreas thought, would approve, assuming of course that at least one convenient tavern was nearby. The cleric was a middle aged man with a long cimbri-style braid, named Christobel. Andreas conversed with the man for far longer than he’d intended. As they spoke of various matters – the priest’s cimbri wife, his past as an adventurer, the blind eye turned towards his church by Queen Nighean in exchange for his failure to proselytize, a thought came to Andreas.

“Tell me, Father, even though we are in faerie, this place where we stand, it’s holy ground, yes?”

“Indeed it is. Consecrated by the Bishop of Ephesium when the church was founded. It is hallowed ground whereupon any rite of the church may be performed.” Andreas thought a moment. “Any rite, you say?”

“Yes” the cleric replied. “Any rite requiring a sanctified location. Marriage, confession, confirmation . . .”

“Burial? What of burial?” Andreas said. “Well, yes. If need be.” The priest said. “Though few of the faithful have passed here in Vacomagi, and as most are sailors they typically are buried at sea . . .”

“Father,” Andreas began, “You may know a story of a knight of the Holy Order of St. Uriah, the slayer of demons, who supposedly passed into faerie and out of human knowledge many years ago. I know the truth of that story.”

The priest’s eyebrows arched in interest. “Do go on, my on. I suspect you have much to tell me.”

Andreas was startled from his thoughts by the sudden clash of arms. Spears on shields were not a sound he was expecting in court. He reached reflexively for the leather pouch of reagents at his belt and brought to mind the words and gestures of a half-dozen abjurative enchantments. He had excused Dario for the day, certainly not expecting to need a bodyguard in the court of the queen herself. Suddenly he realized that no one else seemed the least concerned. No panic, no shouts of fear or outrage, indeed the queen’s guards had not moved a muscle. The sound he’d heard was that of a retinue of some Cimbri noble – he wracked his brains to remember the man’s name even as the herald was announcing him to the court. “Really” Andreas mused to himself. “Now comes the interminable bragging before he gets to the point – some neighboring lord has stolen half his calves, or something, and he seeks redress.” Andreas thought on his plans to recover the remains of the ancient knight of St. Uriah from the lair of the dead drake Cyranog and inter them in the little church. The priest had seemed quite pleased when he’d offered to pay for the project himself.

Dragonkind had played a prominent role in his life lately, he thought. Or at least, dragonkind and faux-dragonkind had. He tried to concentrate on the complaint of the faerie lord before the queen – he was wrong, it was sheep in dispute, not cattle. “Must have been some damn spectacular sheep to bring it all the way to the queen herself” he mumbled. “The lord, he’s her favorite” the Cimbri next to him said in accented Iconian, and with horror Andreas realized he’d mumbled aloud. “They were raised together” the man went on. “there’s some as say he and she have been more than just sovereign and subject, if ye take my meaning” he leered. Andreas did his best to appear uninterested. Queen Nighean was the powerful monarch of a sophisticated realm, but in many ways her court seemed quite rustic to the Iconian, though they would no doubt be equally put off by the eness formalities of human politics. He tried to concentrate on the phrasing of his request, but not surprisingly, his mind wandered again and again to the revelation that the White Dragon, the ship he and his companions had sailed the Skia Thalassa on, had made to him earlier in the day.

Of the crew that had originally befriended the White Dragon, Andreas was personally familiar with only Malcom and Copoc, the lizard-man. He gathered that a human paladin had briefly been privy to the secret of the talking, cursed ship, but the unfortunate knight had been slain in a confrontation with a sea hag during that episode. Another wizard had apparently known about her as well, but of his fate no one seemed to know much. When Gudlaug and Andreas had been rescued by, and then befriended and joined forces with Copoc and Malcom, they had been made privy to the secret as well, and both had sworn never to reveal it, as nearly had the loose-tongued dwarf Kuldar.

Since that time, Andreas had come to regard the ship as something of a friend. It had been instrumental in the destruction of the sea-hag Abashag, the same fiend who’d slain the paladin – Theon, his name suddenly came back to Andreas, Theon Agricola. But even beyond that act, The White Dragon had in all ways been a trustworthy and faithful companion. Even so, all Andreas knew of the thing was that it was not really a ship at all, but was in fact some other manner of thing under a dread and powerful curse. The others had told him of how they’d slain a giant and fed its heart to the White Dragon, thus breaking one-third of the curse, but beyond that he knew little of the creature – or had known little, prior to that very morning.

Andreas tried again, with little success, to pay attention to the court of Queen Nighean. Now she was hearing a complaint between two sorcerers, the issue of the missing sheep having been settled, at least for the moment. Andreas’ command of the fae tongue was good enough to get by on most of the time, but the subtleties of court language escaped him. He could not fully understand the nature of the complaint, even though he suspected he might be intrigued by the details. He wondered what the two arcanists would think if they knew of the shape-changed, cursed creature floating as a ship in the harbor below. He thought again on the course of reasoning that had led him to confront the White Dragon that morning, and of the conversation that followed . . .

“Clearly, and I mean no disrespect by this, but clearly, you, ah - you are no dragon at all.” The serpentine masthead regarded him with eyes cold and black as the bottom of the sea itself. “I am not an expert, exactly, but I know a little of the ways of dragons, white dragons not least of all, and they are – well, to put it bluntly, white dragons are ruthless, stupid and altogether violent. Not like you at all, really.”

“Was crushing Abashag to paste not violent enough for you, mageling? I can arrange another demonstration if I must.” The masthead-dragon smiled, but Andreas frowned. “Not at all, it was quite – aggressive. And what’s more, a little too clever for a true white dragon, who would have breathed forth her breath upon the thing, perhaps, even despite my having already pointed out that she was warded against cold. Furthermore, you’ve had any number of opportunities to betray us, and you’ve not done so - also rather un-draconic. Or at least, not very appropriate for ‘Draco Blanco’, if you take my meaning.”

The back orbs were unreadable, but Andreas imagined that the dragon-ship rolled its eyes in a good natured way. “You are my friends, if I may say so. One does not betray one’s true friends. You as well have been faithful to your promise to me, yes?” It was not really a question, for the ship was well aware that, despite the carelessness of Kuldar, its secret remained safe. Andreas smiled. “Yes indeed, though that does not weaken my argument at all – white dragons do not exactly make friends of humans, half-elves and dwarves. Snacks, certainly, slaves, possibly, but friends – never.”

“Perhaps I am an exceptional white dragon.” The ship replied, although from the tone of its voice Andreas knew he was on the right track. “Or perhaps” the wizard replied “you are, as I said, no dragon at all. Who – or what – are you, really? Surely by now you’ve no fear left that we will betray your secret. As you said, friends – true friends – do not behave thus.” The ship stirred uncomfortably, the water of the harbor slapped its sides softly. Andreas glanced about, but no-one was near enough to have overheard or noticed.

“Gather the others” the White Dragon replied. “What I have to say is for them to hear as well. But be warned, though – you may not like what you are about to learn. You may not like it at all.”

“You may approach, barbarian.”

Andreas was startled from his recollections of the White Dragon’s troubling revelation. The Queen’s herald was addressing him, he realized. He gathered the folds of his robe and approached, bowing just deeply enough, or so he hoped. With sudden relief, Andreas felt his old confidence return – he was a wizard of the College, educated and studied in the lore of the fae, not some sycophantic courtier or fawning nobleman. He knew he could be persuasive without offending the faerie queen, and she was already predisposed to favor him. Yet he would need to be glib, for the favor he had in mind to ask of her was no trifle. The fae guarded the remaining secrets of their magic from the human empire very jealously, and his request for new magic unknown in Iconium was a bold one. What would she think, he wondered, if she knew that which he himself had learned scant hours before? That even as they spoke in her court, one of her oldest and most dangerous foes, indeed the very same Three Mothers assassin that had slain her own uncle, was currently afloat as a white ship with an exquisite draconic figurehead in her very own harbor? Pushing these thoughts from his mind, Andreas knelt on one knee at Nighean’s feet and began his plea.

“Your Grace, I crave a boon . . .”

Gudlag's Telling
A Month in Vacomagus

Continuing the Journals of Gudlaug Hamarson (Jon Hanna)

After the group had spent some days feasting with the queen and her court, we were allowed to get back to a more restful situation. I spent a few days wandering around the city, getting to know where I was. I have not spent too much time in large Cimbri cities, so I found the time enjoyable.

Andreas called me down to the boat one evening. He desired to have a conversation with “White Dragon,” and did not want the conversation to be overheard. I cast my Natural Sounds spell on us so that the conversation would sound like the squawks of seagulls and the like. The conversation with the boat proved interesting. So interesting in fact that I went and retrieved the other party members, so that they could be a part of it. We learned that the boat is not now, nor has ever been a dragon of any type. It turns out that he was a Rolgulkan assassin prince who worked for the Three Mothers. They had cursed him for some bit of personal treachery decades ago. Over the course of the last 75 years or so, he has mellowed in his desire to be a killer, and just wants to have the curse removed. We all agreed to help him finish this quest. We will definitely need his experience with the Three Mothers in our quest to hunt down the final Yuan-ti, Ophia.

A few days later I decided that I would cross over into the Shadow Plane, and scout the area in and around Vacomagus. Knowing that the Three Mothers liked to use the Shadow Plane for their travel, I wanted to be sure that they didn’t have agents lurking there. When I got to the dark plane, I did notice large strange bird creatures that were lurking around. They kept their distance from me, and I from them. The Shadow Plane version of this city turned out to be less dark and disturbing than the area around Tavia, the human city where I lived for awhile. Vacomagus itself is not that old. There was a ruined city on the other side of the river from the current city, which had many shades wondering around in it. I did not go there.

I went to where the Queen’s residence would be, and found a barrow. I did not examine it too closely. Some things are best left undisturbed. I then went to where the druid’s grove was, and found a very thick, deep bit of forest. It was guarded by Shadow bears, which recognized me as a druid, and therefore no threat. It seems that Sativola and the other local druids use this place as a secret hiding place, in case they need to evacuate Vacomagus in a hurry. They have stores of fresh food and water there. The Bears had seen no unusual activity.

Then I went around other points in the city to see if there was anything amiss. I discovered that there was a version of the Ley here in the Shadow Plane. This was the magical road that members of the queen’s court could use to travel around the city quickly and safely. Now I got a notion of how it worked. Here there was a version of the Ley following the same path as the golden street in Vacomagus. This one was made of bones laid end-to-end. It seems that the sorcerers are tapping into the power of the Shadow Plane to speed up their travel. Interesting. I went back to my natural plane at this point.

The next day I met up with Sativola in the grove. He had some questions for me regarding our boat, as I knew he would. He knew that the boat was more than just a ship with Magic Mouth cast on it, and wanted to be sure that there was no danger there to Vacomagus or the queen. I assured him that to my knowledge there was no threat, and that the only reason we had acted so strangely when Kuldar mentioned our talking boat was that we, Kuldar included, had sworn an oath to not talk about it. He accepted this, but warned me that the Three Mothers were actively seeking out magic boats, and buying them. He said that it was dangerous for the information about the boat to spread. I agreed, and told him that the Three Mothers situation was exactly why we had been sworn under oath to remain silent.

I spent the rest of the month in comfort at the grove with Sativola and the other druids, and recovered from our resent exertions.

Copoc's Telling

Conversations with Guardian Spirits and Varnian Kings

(Or Chatting with Kanul and White Dragon)

(David Nickerson)

For the most part I had a terrific time in Vacomagus, pondering my boon and touring the city with Malcolm. We no longer had access to the Ley and I was able to experience many aspects of Cimbri life. Despite a prevailing uneasiness that we were being observed by Ophia or one of her spies, I remained preoccupied with determining the location of Tikul. I asked many Cimbri sailors and was offered several possible locations. It seemed there were many volcanic islands that fit the description I had. No one, however, was aware of any lost Kulkan city, and in fact the general consensus seemed to be that Kulkans lived as tribes or in small villages and didn’t build cities. Gondoc claimed to know the exact coordinates, but when questioned further I was convinced that he knew nothing of navigation and was just bloodthirsty and itching to cause trouble somewhere.

Gudlaug informed me that Sativola had a brother in the city of Iconium that had access to the Ambassador’s Palace, so I decided to pen a letter to Brone. I still had reservations about him despite his aid in our battle with Wulvera, but I thought it only fair that he be warned. Without revealing the names of my accomplices, I informed him that the purveyor of Demon’s Breath, Krace, had been flushed out and killed. I also told him about the scrolls and that we were being hunted by Ophia. I did not reveal that his name had been suspiciously absent from Krace’s diary. I also asked him if he planned to rejoin us and if he had any information concerning the lost Kulkan city of Tikul. Perhaps this was the true reason that I had written. I still await a response.

Many days I spent on the beach, swimming and hunting with Balamob. I had ample time for research and preparing my rituals and subsequently was successful in summoning and retaining two new spirits. The first was Otema. She was a kulkan and a great priestess of Ogokwu, the god of sanctuary and healing. Otema gave me a crystal prism to anchor her spirit and to direct her healing powers. Honestly I don’t know much of Ogokwu. As shamans grew in power my race seems to have lost touch with the old gods. I know of Shabok Gali’, the moon goddess, only from my dealings with Xoholos Xulu and other ancestor spirits. Unfortunately I also remember Chak. I was terrorized as a child by stories of Chak and his Blood Rain Cult and find myself quite shaken to learn of his involvement with Gondoc. That is why I have also summoned Bombaska, the Burning Sun. Such a great and powerful spirit may prove useful if my future is indeed tainted by the touch of Chak. I wear Bombaska’s golden medallion even now, and it burns with an intense warmth, as if it has absorbed the very rays of the sun.

Several days ago I retreated to my chambers to meditate deeply and consult with Kanul Yat Balam. To my surprise he dismissed my entire entourage with a wave of his hand and then manifested before me. He looked much older on this plane, and deadly serious.

“You have done well my brave young shaman,” he spoke, “to seek after our lost Tikul. You have found your true path, but you cannot do this alone.”

“I have found many powerful allies,” I responded, “both here and in the Spirit World.”

“Yessss…..” Kanul seemed to pause in thought.

“You must lead me to this city so that I may uncover our heritage.”

“All in good time Copoc. There are many riddles yet to unravel. Much information must you attain. Events must transpire as foreseen.” Kanul paused again, his eyes glassy. “The board is set and now the pieces move to assume their rightful place in destiny.”

“I doubt you not Kanul, but you must give me more…something I can sink my teeth into!”

“Very well Copoc. Perhaps you are ready. First you must know that the curse of Galavesh has prevailed. The exact nature of this curse, its precise wording, is unknown even to me. But make no mistake- Galavesh did not do this alone. Chak is up to his eyeballs in the blood of our kin!”

“But how? Gondoc paid the dark god’s price when he sacrificed his firstborn children!”

“Little is understood about their actual pact, and attempts to attain this information have only enraged Gondoc. He is merely a shell now of his former self. I do know that when he died his children rose as vampires. Many of our people were slaughtered outright and the survivors were driven from Tikul. Chak’s Blood Rain Cult devastated our once great empire and made the reign of Galavesh seem like a short bask on a sunny shore.”

“So Gondoc is responsible for our plight?”

“In part, yes. But it is also prophesized that Gondoc may lift the curse. He must destroy his children again, and you Copoc, must allow him to do this.”

“And then the curse will be ended? Our great city will be restored to its former glory and our people will be set free?”

“That is my understanding, yessss…”

“But how? How will all of this be possible?”

“Only you can answer these questions Copoc. A small group of Kulkans fled to Skia Thalassa after the Blood Rain commenced. Your ancestors were among these. And you, my shaman, are a direct descendant of Gondoc.”

I was in shock and my head was spinning as I searched for answers. “And how does Dalas Salik fit into all of this? I have become increasingly convinced that she springs from the Shadow Plane.”

“She seeks something from that vile dimension. She may help you, yes. And your earthly allies. But her role in the endgame is unclear.”

“I’ve recently summoned Bombaska to aid us in our future endeavors.”

“You have done well Copoc, but look not only to the spirits, for our grasp on this plane is tenuous at best. Seek priests of the Sun God. Do not underestimate the power of flesh and blood and steel.”

I sat and meditated for days, reeling still from these revelations.

Not long after that incident I found myself the recipient of more startling news. I was having a drink with Malcolm in his favorite tavern when he informed me that he would be taking temporary leave of our company. As a captain for the Queen he had new duties and responsibilities. Before I could even try to convince him to stay, Gudlaug burst through the front doors. “Quickly…the beach,” he rasped before rushing back outside.

When we arrived at the beach we found White Dragon. Andreas was on deck and we boarded just in time for some more surprises. White Dragon felt that he could trust us now, and revealed that he was actually an ogre-mage and the King of Varnia to boot. Seventy-five years ago his younger brother had betrayed him, leaking information of his romantic involvement with all three of the Three Mothers! Apparent lover to the trio, the Rogulkan prince was also their most trusted and deadly assassin. He was soon captured and cursed, and his treacherous brother went on to become king. White Dragon’s spirit was trapped in the ship, and that is what I had detected so many months ago. It was a chain curse, and each of the three components could only be dispelled with willing help- the act of true friends. Feeding White Dragon Wodlaw’s heart had broken the first part of the curse and allowed him to speak. The remaining hexes could be removed only by stealing the loot from the Three Mother’s pet hydra and then getting some beard hairs from a dwarven king (?). I understood finally why White Dragon’s secret must be kept- from the Three Mothers and from the Varnian king. I put my thoughts of Tikul and Ophia aside and wondered if we would be able to help our friend.

Malcomb's Telling (Remi Treuer)

Will post ASAP.

Cezar's Story (Wayne Peacock)

I am no dragon, or even a ship -- well I am, cursed to dwell as one by the Three Mothers. Long have a waited to tell my sad, ignoble tale to ones I believe I can trust.

My true name is Cezar, I am...no, I was a Rolgulkan lord [DM:eek:gre-mage], the elder brother of Dimas, the current King of Varnia. I was spoiled and indulged as a youth. I eschewed the rough arts of war that comes naturally to my people and took to the magic of song and power of well spoken word. In this I excelled.

By the time of my coming of age, I had my father’s court in complete turmoil. I had cuckolded most of the males and driven the rest of the court mad with jealousy or desire. My father gave me a choice -– take the magical boat my father had commissioned for me -- a flying boat that could sail itself – on an extended tour of Skia Thalassa, or begin fighting my own duels.

Over a hundred years ago I took to the sea, and have never been back to my home, but not out of my own choosing. I bested my old misdeeds a hundred fold; I reveled in my own evil. I used my innate abilities to masquerade as a hundred men, pirated, kill…well, let us say I supped large and unashamedly at the bounty that was around me. I dallied with lojosalfar vixens, parodied Cimbri lords, broke the heart of a frost giant king’s daughter, lightened the treasuries of several dragons and whenever things got too “hot,” well, it’s good to be the favored son of a Rolgukan King…

My father doted upon me, perhaps wishing for the freedom I had. Few know the burdens of the ogre kings of Rolgulka, or the price for their power. My brother Dimas was left to learn the arts of leadership that I should have been studying…

Finally, as a last act of roguery before setting my sail for home and throne, I took it upon myself to seek out the pirate queens known as The Three Mothers and bend them to my will -– for the sheer bravado of the deed. For a while I was successful, each of the three loved me like no other, but I forgot how hate is the jealous twin of love.

One morn I awoke from a night of epic debauchery to find myself bound to the mast of my ship, my three lovers debating my fate. They gave me a choice, death or life as their slave and assassin.
I took the latter, with little forethought at the time. An invisible, flying killer, with my talents was a huge success for them. Fifteen captains died under my knife. Chiefly, you should know, I killed Queen Nighean’s father, then Lord of the Sea for the Vacomagi. But there were others. My evil grew.

Eventually, I grew tired of their demands as a killer and a lover and so I fled one day towards home. But I was caught and for my “treachery” they cursed me as only a coven of half-demon hags could. They stole my future, my kingdom, my name, my body and my honeyed words from me – binding my body and soul into my prized ship. Furthermore they set three impossible tasks that would have to be fulfilled were the curse to be lifted. Moreover, my tasks could only be performed by true friends, without trickery or deceit on my part. Honesty and honor were all that could save me, and at the time I had none.

Anezka, the sea hag, said that to regain my voice, I would have to be fed the heart of a giant, since I had no heart of my own.

Tanis, the green hag, said my noble form would be returned to me if a true friend would but pluck three hairs from the beard of a dwarven king and give them to me.

Marya, the annis, said that to regain my songs and magic, I would have to take back my lute from horde of Decimachus, a half-fiend, ten-headed, lernaen, cryohydra who guards one of the Three Mothers hordes on the ill-fated isle of Kritos.

To drive my slavery home, I served as a private “yacht” for the hags. They enjoyed showing me off to their evil horde. After several years they gave me to one of their servants, a ljosalfar pirate called Erik. Iconians caught the ljosalfar raiding their ships and in the great sea battle that ensued, Erick was slain. The Iconians sunk me, but did not know I could repair myself.

I escaped and lived alone for a few years, wallowing in my self-pity and fearful of being another’s slave. Eventually I grew lonely and hopeful that I could escape the curse. Then one day I was cruising near the coast and came upon a Cimbri fishing village. Swimming towards shore was drunk Cimbri cursing fate that his only ship had been lost. I took a chance and appeared before him, and adopted him. For a time I was happy as a mere fishing boat. Gilroy raised a family on fish poured onto my decks and I was prized by him.

When I finally revealed my magical nature to the Cimbri, Gilroy foolishly blabbed it all over town after too much drink. Some adventurers found the poor sot and slit his throat on my deck. I killed them all and then fled.

Again I lived alone for many, many years. This time my solitude was ended by another lone swimmer; I rescued a ljosalfar who had been attacked by some of the Three Mothers’ pirates. The alfar, a bard named Hrolfnir, was grateful and never divulged my abilities. Eventually Hrolfnir figured out much of my nature and through some truly humbling questions and answer sessions -- remember I could not talk then -- he discovered my need to eat the heart of a giant.

Hrolfnir took it upon himself to outfit a crew and go after Wodlaw. But again my hopes were dashed. It was Hrolfnir that was killed by the Demon’s Breath addled pirates just before I met you. It was he that I was avenging when I met Copoc and Malcomb on Wodlaw's isle. [DM: see Adventure #1.)

So now, you know the bulk of my story. It is simply up to you to aid me or not. I am at your mercy now.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 22

The Silence of the Donkeys

Continuing the Journal of Gudlaug Hamarson (Jon Hanna)

We were enjoying our rest in Vacomagus. It had been about a month since we had killed Galavesh, and everyone seemed to be relishing the down time. Queen Nighean had loaned us the use of a house in her city, and it was quite comfortable. On the evening in question, I was in my room on the first floor discussing the day’s events with my rat friend Hal.

“So Hal, what did you do today? And please don’t tell me you hung out down at the docks again. You’ll get a reputation that way.”

“Nah,” Hal chattered between bites of a moldy crust of bread I had given him, “ The docks aren’t as exciting as they were now that Big Bertha got the claw.” Big Bertha was a wharf rat Hal had been seeing on the side. Unfortunately, a mangy cat got the drop on her a few days previous. Hal continued, “I’ve been hanging out with the pack down at the palace. Those guys are in dire straits. There’s no leadership at all. They all just kinda mill around listlessly. There’s nothing sadder than a bunch of listless rats, let me tell you. I’ve been thinking of getting’em organized, you know, into a cohesive group. Then they can get things done.” He popped another glob of mold into his mouth.

“What type of things.” I nervously asked

“Oh, you know, the usual stuff. An organized pack of rats can get their point across, in the big picture. For instance, when you’re in the kitchen at night, and you want to get into the lard tub, 20 rats is much more likely to score than one or two. Also, they can stand up to the man better.”

“Which man?”

“The cook, and those nefarious dogs of his. Some kind of rat terriers.” Hal shook his head in disgust. “If I have my way, the man won’t be loosing his dogs on us much longer. I have a plan.” Hal leaned in closer. “First, you need to get a ball of string, a single hair from the queen’s pillow, and a greased weasel…”

At this point, our discussion was cut short by shouts coming from above. I distinctly heard Dario telling Andreas to stand away from the wall, and Andreas shouting at the top of his lungs for help. I bolted from the room and headed up stairs. I arrived at the top of the stairs to see Copoc moving towards the room that Andreas and Dario shared. As I moved closer, suddenly, a horrible apparition shot forth from the wall and attacked Copoc. It appeared to be some sort of horrible wraith-like creature. It had the visage of a Rolgulkan, and was carrying ghostly slaver’s chains with neck irons. There seemed to be a neck iron for each of us.

The creature struck at Copoc, missed, and then quickly disappeared through the wall again. We were all jabbering excitedly and looking around, not knowing where the thing would appear next. I prepared to cast a Heal spell on it if it got close enough to me, knowing that if I were successful, it would grievously injure an undead creature. I heard Dario and Andreas yell again from their room. It was attacking. Dario got in the way of the Shade and blocked an attack aimed at Andreas. Copoc started chanting to his spirits, imploring the spirit of some Sun-god worshipper to heed his call. When the Wraith appeared again, he tried to Turn it, as a cleric would, but was not successful.

“Skink droppingsss!” Copoc cursed. “That was my best shot at thisss thing!”

“Enough!” Andreas shouted from his room. “Everyone to me. We are leaving!” Copoc and I hurried into the room as the Wraith appeared again. Just in time, Andreas teleported the lot of us down to our boat. Cezar, our boat, was startled, and his Dragonlike head turned to eye us. “Quite an entrance.” He murmured.

“What, by all that’s natural, was that? I asked Andreas.

“Some type of Wraith, but not a type that I have heard of before. It was fast. And it seemed very intelligent. It knew who we were, and mocked us.” He looked at Dario. “Dario was hit by it, and it seemed to drain the very life out of him.”

Dario did look haggard. Copoc moved to him and began to cast a spell.

“Describe this wraith.” White dragon was looking queerly at Andreas.

“It was Rolgulkan, and it bore slaving chains.”

White Dragon sighed. “I know this dread wraith. It works for the Three Mothers. It was once an ogre magi named Lord Andrej -- a foul creature that sold his own family into slavery. A priestess of Nyag fed him to another wraith two centuries ago, but Andrej has grown even more malevolent in undeath.” We all were shocked. None of us had heard of a wraith that moved about that readily, much less hired itself out in a mercenary fashion.

“What doesss it take for payment?” Copoc asked

“40 lives.”

We were all silent for a moment. Braying and shouting coming from the city broke the silence. “I know that Bray!” I shouted. “Gertrude!” I turned into a hawk and flew straight towards the commotion. Gertrude was my mule, and my animal companion. I found her cornered by a group of town’s people. She was kicking and snapping her teeth at anyone who got too close, braying loudly all along. I changed from hawk form to dwarf form, and moved towards her.

“Everyone please back away from the mule.” I told the crowd as I walked up. They were startled by my appearance, and started talking at once, eyeing me suspiciously.

“That mule was running down the street, being chased by some type of flying shadow!” A Cimbri man said. I looked at Gertrude. Now I could plainly see that she did have the same drained look that Dario had, after having been touched by the creature.

“What happened?” I asked Gertrude, using my druidical abilities of animal speech.

She was still not calm, and her eyes rolled as she bared her teeth at me. Finally she said, “A nasty thing came out of the wall at me in my stall! It hurt! It hurt!” She started bucking again, and I tried to calm her. “I charged the stable door,” She continued, “I kicked it open and ran. It followed me and snapped at my tail as I ran.”

A man came pushing through the crowd, and stepped forward. I recognized him as a human priest of Logos. I recognized him as someone I had seen Andreas with. “Father,” I said “May I speak to you in private?” He nodded. I turned to the crowd. “Please go back to your homes. There is danger out tonight and you should be home with your families.”

“There was a ghost chasing a mule! A bad omen!” A man shouted. He held a cage with a dead chicken in it. “My bird died when it flew past! Evil times! Evil!” He shook the cage and a few feathers fell out.

“My dog ran into the wall of my house and knocked itself out!” A woman yelled. She held up a limp cur and shook it at me, its tongue lolling out of its mouth.

“Fine,” I said. “Go tend to your dog, and you go eat your chicken. Just go home!” The crowd began to mumble, but it did disperse. I turned to the priest. “I am a friend of Andreas. I believe I have seen you with him?”

“Yes. My name is Christobel. I am a priest of St. Attalus. Tell me what has happened.”

I told Christobel of the attack at our house, and that the Wraith was different than others I had heard of. He told me that wraiths could have an effect on animals and insects, and that the presence of a wraith drove living things away and caused great unnatural fear. I took Gertrude and led Christobel down towards the docks, where we met up with the others. Andreas talked to the priest, and it was decided that we should stay at the small church of Attalus for the rest of the night. We all walked to the building, warily watching around us for shadows.

The next day we went to the court of Queen Nighean. We thought we should tell her personally of the events of the night before, and I was curious to see if a weapon I had asked for was ready. Queen Nighean had given each of us a boon for our parts in killing the demon Galavesh. I had asked for a hammer to be forged that would be of use against undead. I wanted to be better prepared when I fought against the necromancer again, and I figured that sooner or later we would be fighting the Three Mothers, who seemed to employ such creatures. She sent word to fetch the Hammer, which was enchanted with a Disruption effect.

Queen Nighean was most disturbed to hear of the wraith in her city. She seemed quite keen on us hunting and destroying the thing before it could hurt any more of her people. Apparently two of her guards had been killed two nights previously, by means unknown. They were found shriveled and lifeless. She had their bodies brought to us, and indeed, it was apparent that they were victims of the wraith. While we were talking, a messenger ran in and we learned that a druid of Sativola’s grove had also been found dead, that morning. On his chest was scratched a message to me! “Gudlaug.” It read, “Come out and play.” The wraith was mocking us.

Sativola and Nighean were very angry. She gave Andreas a potion of Undead detection, and gave us permission to travel on the Ley, the magical road that allowed fast travel through the city. “You will find this creature and destroy it.” She told us in no uncertain terms.

We traveled outside of the city, to the west, and waited until dusk. The three dead bodies had been found on this side of town, and it seemed like as good a place to look as any. When the sun went down, Andreas drank the potion of undead detection. He headed deeper into the woods, and we followed. We came to some ruins from the fist Cimbri city in this area -- the original Vacomagus.

“The wraith is near.” Andreas said. “Be wary”

“What elssse would we be?” Copoc mumbled

Unfortunately Christobel had been unable to accompany us, but we were all as prepared as we were going to be for fighting undead. I had taken many high level healing spells, and also had my new hammer.

Suddenly, the wraith appeared from what looked like an old stone stairwell, that now lead to nothing, and attacked me. The pain was horrible as its unearthly hand passed through my chest. I felt my life essence flowing out of me into its fist and my strength fade from my arms. As quickly as it attacked, it moved back. Unfortunately for it, Andreas cast a spell that captured it in a cage of force. It was trapped!

The wraith shrieked in rage as it found it was unable to escape the trap. Andreas then cast his acid fog spell, but converted the acid to fire. The wraith howled. I joined in with a flamestrike, and Copoc again tried to turn the creature, to no effect. Unfortunately, the force cage and the now flaming fog hid him from our view – only its unholy scream revealed that he was still bound.

“To me my slaves! Kill the wizard!” The wraith hissed. Two wraiths in city guard uniforms rose up from the ground and attacked us. They were no match for us, however. I did learn the power of my new weapon, however. The satisfying shriek of the undead as they are destroyed by a hammer of disruption is particularly lovely. The wraith of the druid also attacked, but was also easily dealt with.

The Lord Andrej in the cage began to plead with us. “I will leave, and never threaten you again, if you release me! I will tell you where to find Ophia, your enemy.” It begged.

We were, of course, not interested in dealing with it. It continued to take damage from the fiery fog for over a minute - though it seemed longer.

Unfortunately, our luck ran out. Just as the wraith seemed to be on its last gasp, the force cage disappeared! The wraith glared at us with malevolence, and sank into the ground. We cursed ourselves for not being able to finish the thing off when we had the chance. We knew that if we were attacked by it again, it would not be so easily captured.

“Skink droppingsss!” Copoc cursed.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 23

A Beard's Errand
By Dario (Keith Martin)

Dario looked down at the crumpled form of Andreas, his employer for the last three years. Blood was flowing freely from the axe wound in the mage’s neck onto the deck of the White Dragon.

“No” he thought “Cesar. The ship’s real name is Cesar. Have to remember that.”

“Well, druid. Is he dead?” he asked.

Gudlaug made to answer, but was interrupted. “Not dead, not dead, not yet at least.” The dwarven cleric Dain replied as he stooped over the mage’s pale form. “Not going to be, either, not with me handy. Give me a little room.” Dain Ivansson made a short prayer to his patron god Tyr, the Dekkalfar god of battle and war, and place one hand on the mage’s brow. The flow of blood stopped, and Dario watched with interest as the color crept back into Andreas face.

“He’ll live then?” the human soldier asked. “Good. Kept him alive all this time, hate to lose him like that.” He turned away from the dwarf to regard the corpses of the slain merrow scattered across the deck.

“You don’t ssseem too concerned, human.” Copoc said. “Isss he not your friend?”

“I’ve buried other friends, shaman. Goes along with soldiering. Never buried one at sea, though. Looked to me like you took a worse blow than him, anyway.”

“I will . . . recover.” Copoc replied. “Our new companion is most adept at healing, and Kanul Yat Balam tells me that my spirit .”

“Good. Glad you won’t be dying either.” Dario interrupted. “Gudlaug, give me a hand, let’s heave these bodies overboard.”

“Save one, I would question the dead.” Dain said. Dario looked at him uneasily, remembering his encounter with Gudlaug and Andreas’ necromantic enemy many months earlier. “Hrrmph. Fine, we’ll leave that big one for you, I suppose. He looked to be the leader at any rate.” Dario smiled grimly, remembering the combat only scant minutes earlier, and how the huge aquatic ogres had clambered suddenly aboard the ship in the middle of the night to catch most of the group unprepared or even sleeping.

Dario himself had been merely dozing, sleeping the light sleep of the seasoned campaigner. He never slept well aboard ship at any rate, and the recent attack on the group by undead agents of the Three Mothers had left him a bit uneasy. Nighean, the Vacomagi queen, had been glad to learn of the group’s departure from her city, presumably drawing the dread wraith after them and away form the populace. Andreas had somehow charmed a favor out of her without the queen’s realization, and she’d given them a letter of introduction to the court of some dwarven Eorl that Andreas and Gudlaug hoped would get them access to the King. They’d shipped out that very day and had been at sea no more than six hours by sunset. Dain, the newcomer, was keeping watch along with Copoc when the merrow attacked. They did their best to raise the alarm and defend themselves as the rest of the group came to their senses, but things had gone badly at first.

Copoc was the first to go down, leveled by a single blow from the apparent leader’s huge axe. At the time, Dario thought the lizard man was certainly dead. He remembered thinking, absurdly, how very red Copoc’s blood was as it splashed across his tunic. Almost at once he had drawn his sword and attempted to reach Andreas, who was threatened by two of the things.

One of the ogres vaulted across the gunwale between Dario and the leader, but two quick thrusts just under the thing’s ribcage quickly put and end to it. Dario remembered hearing the braying of Gertrude, Gudlaug’s pet mule coming from the stern of the ship, followed by a heavy splash. He could only assume that the beast had kicked her assailant overboard. He had no time, though, to worry about the druid’s animal and needed to look after his own responsibilities. Gudlaug and Dain were engaged with foes of their own, but Andreas was undefended.

Before he could reach a position from which he could guard his charge or engage his enemy, however, Dario heard the familiar phrases of some spell coming from Andreas. The wizard had been speaking in one of the faerie tongues, and not in High Illerian, and Dario knew from past experience that usually meant he was under some duress. There was a flash of fire, the great ogre leader stumbled back, angry red burns crisscrossing his body – but it was not slain, merely enraged.

Before Dario could move, the huge merrow leapt forward, yelling something in a language Dario could not understand, and drove the wizard to the deck of the ship with a pair of brutal blows. Andreas flailed about horribly, clearly having taken a mortal wound. Dario sprang forward at last, wary of the ogre’s reach. Relying only on its size and strength, the merrow was a clumsy fighter, and Dario easily slipped under a great, two-handed swipe of the thing’s axe. With his first thrust he had driven his short sword into the ogre’s leg, inside the thigh, where he knew from experience much blood would flow. The ogre staggered forward, bellowing something in its alien tongue, but slipped as it did so and fell to one knee, blood already pouring from the wound in its leg. Dario stepped easily to one side, reversing his grip as he did so, and brought his blade down with both hands into the ogre’s neck. It crashed to the deck and did not move again.

“Dario?” Gulaug asked. The warrior brought himself back to present concerns. “Deep in thought, there, mate? Let’s tend to these corpses, right?” Dario and Gudlaug proceeded to roll the heavy bodies off the deck and back into the sea. Gudlaug watched the last of them sink below. “Let that be a warning to you, bastards!” Dario was more interested in what Dain was doing than in yelling threats at any unseen enemies still lurking beneath the waves.

The dwarf Dain had been an unexpected arrival, materializing on the group’s doorstep in Vacomagus without warning. He claimed, as best Dario could piece together, to have been sent by someone named Prince Vahana, who Copoc and Malcom were apparently familiar with – more familiar with Brone, the name Vahana was traveling under whilst spying against the Three Mothers when the two first met the erstwhile prince. After extensive recitations of his family history and pedigree, and a brief explanation of the tenets of his faith, Dain had more or less placed himself at the group’s disposal. From what Dario could gather, this Brone fellow owed Copoc and Malcom some sort of favor, and Dain owed Brone some sort of favor, so Dain was here to repay his debt to Brone and Brone’s debt to Copoc at the same time. Or something like that, it was rather complicated and Dario assumed at once that there was much the dwarf was not telling them, but he didn’t trouble himself with that – Andreas could worry about such matters. Malcom was leaving the group at that point, to “take up his commission in the irregular Vacomagi Navy” – which Dario assumed meant he would become a pirate like the rest of the godless half-elves. So another hand was welcome at that point, and a healer not least of all.

Dario watched now as the dwarf seemingly made a prayer to his heathen gods. He heard the word “Tyr” more than once, which he remembered was the dwarf war-god that Dain served. Eventually, the lips of the dead ogre began to move, and Dain questioned the thing’s corpse for some time, though the answers were in some faerie tongue and Dario could not make out any of them.

“So” Gudlaug said at last. “The Three Mothers were expecting us to leave by sea, it seems. Ophia's set this whole tribe of merrow to be on the lookout for us – five warbands at least.”

“Sssurely they cannot guesss our errand?” Copoc hissed. He glanced at the ship’s figurehead as he did so.

Dario watched Dain closely while this was going on, but if the dwarf had any suspicions about the true nature of the ship he was standing on he did not betray them. The choice to let Cesar reveal himself to Dain in his own time and manner instead of taking another stranger into their confidence was a welcome one to Dario. “Never trust a dwarf” was about to become his personal motto after Kuldar had nearly betrayed the secret of the living ship.

“Hrmmph.” Dario grunted. He looked at Gudlaug. “Think it’s possible? Think they know where we are heading, and why?”

“Doubtful” Gudlaug said. “They likely expect us to be looking for Ophia at this point, hunting for the Shadow Barge. Or even trying to track down the dread wraith for a re-match. I expect those things they would be prepared for us to undertake. But not this, not us suddenly heading to Jormunstein. I expect this attack has nothing to do with that. But who knows.”

“Our dead friend there indicated that many hunters were sent out, trying to cover all the likely trade routes out of Vacomagu.” Dain said. “I think they expected us to leave by ship, but didn’t know which way we would be heading.”

“Where . . what . . “ Andreas stirred, finally. Dario looked down at the mage. “Took a bad wound.” He said. “You nearly didn’t survive.” Andreas looked around, clearly confused. “Still at sea?” he asked.

“Yes.” Dain replied. “Still off on this mad errand to snatch hairs from the beard of a dwarven king. This friend of yours must have made a powerful enemy if it takes something like that to lift his curse.”

Andreas grimaced, still clearly in pain. “Ahh . . . yes. Powerful enemies are not in short supply around us, it seems. Thank you, Dario, you r service has been exceptional as always.”

“Wasn’t me.” Dario replied. “Couldn’t reach you in time. I did do for him, though.” He pointed at the dead form of the merrow leader. “Dain, here, saved your skin. A useful healer, just as promised.” If he felt any shame at his failure to protect his charge, Dario didn’t betray it.

Without comment, Andreas turned to the dwarf. “Then you have my thanks, master dwarf. Should my bodyguard be . . . unavailable again, I hope you will be as quick with your magics. I’d surely have perished otherwise.”

“Think nothing of it.” Dain said. “Dario there had his hands full as it was. He’s quite capable a fighter for all that he’s not a dwarf. More to him than meets the eye.”

“Yes, well.” Andreas eased himself to a seat on the gunwale near the prow of the ship. He place one hand easily on the White Dragon figurehead and looked up into the glassy black orb of the dragon’s eye. “I think you’ll find there is more than meets the eye to most of us.”

Last edited:

Remove ads