Byzantium on the Shannon III

CleverName

Explorer
Yeah,

It's tough adjudicating stuff like that. I don't like putting PCs in moral dilemnas that are as "off the cuff" as that. That is, I don't mind it at all, and in fact, enjoy it when it is a structured part of an overall story. It does bother me somewhat when I feel obliged to have an NPC act so ruthelessly and 'kinda rub the PC's noses in it. That was not my plan, but I could not play Vycos any other way. (Palaestra is meant to have plenty of gray between the black and white moral poles.)

The PCs actually had rather lenghty arguements as to the disputation of the slaves when they encountered them. In the end the PCs decided maintain their ruse as slavers and use the slaves as props and release them later. They even sold off the goblin slaves.

But, I found it interesting that this rather hard-line mollified as time went on. When they got to town and used their prentense as slavers to get a meeting with Vycos (to determine what he might know of the goings on in the area). They were rightfully repulsed when he wanted to buy the Alfar slaves off of them for dinner. This meeting, of course, scared the hell out of the slaves and an 8 ft. half ogre with small army at his back impressed the PCs as well.

Afterword they assured the slaves that they would be freed after the PCs finished their business in town -- the PCs even used their money to buy weapons, clothing and armor for them, gifts for when they got out of town.

Getting jumped by Bethas and Cryda outside the barn where the slaves were kept was not part of their plan. Bethas' power scared the heck out of them(Gudlag went from 90+ HPs to about 10 in a round in a half.)

I personally believe that the party was willing to risk that some of these slaves might have had to have been sold into slavery when they went to Medoc, due to circumstances that they could not control, in order for the PCs to maintian their ruse as slavers. I do not think the PCs really considered the fact that the slaves could be killed because of the slaves association with the party. Of course I say that as the DM who knew the players were being hunted by Cryda and Bethas (and some others) -- there were a lot of factors that were beyond their control. For instance, Copoc did slip up and give Cryda his real name -- that was a genuine, honest mistake that really made her question just who these strange "slavers" were. OTOH, the PCs decided to interrogate a couple of the slaves who they thought had some info on them. They did this in the stable, where I had decided Bethas, with improved invisibility was spying on them (tipped off by Cryda). Then, as part of the interrogation Copoc dropped the alter self spell (via hat of disguse) and revealed his true, scaly visage to Bethas.

Quick villian (DM) mathematics:

NPCs looking for Malcomb the Cimbri, and Copoc the Lizardfolk.

Meet weird slavers in town, and a human named Copoc (not a common name) + find out "Copoc" is lizardfolk = party is disgused = we ambush them and try to kill a couple of them.

They had no way of knowing that happened of course.

I personally feel that the "good" PCs should be pretty upset about what happened and realize that putting the slaves at risk was the wrong thing to do in the long run, even if the PCs did not directly kill them. After all was said and done, I remember more than one of the PCs saying, "Never again." I think that was learned.

Last edited:

AutoSponge

First Post
har har!

I wuz playn lawful nootral!@!@@!!!!

dat aflarr got pwnzord!

/inside joke off

Kuldar is fairly stoic. He has a mild sense of humor, but he is constantly reminded of his purpose and the short time he (and I) have to accomplish the tasks at hand.

The slaves were property under the law. The goblinoids especially were nothing new as a concept of property for cheap labor--he's a dwarf. Yes they were in danged, but no more than they were alone in the forest staked to the ground. The first thing I did when meeting them was feed them (someone left that out).

Kuldar's actions wouldn't repulse him, so I don't let them repulse me and if someone in the party makes a comment or shows distaste I think they just don't understand dwarves... they make the same face when I belch at dinner.

So far I'm playing Kuldar true to what I thought he'd be. I may be playing him too intelligent, but that's suppose to be offset by the tight timeframe I'm working in and his vast experience in political settings.

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 17 (6/18-19/497)

Deadly Ascensions
by Copoc Kitzam (David Nickerson)

After Kanul Yat Balam had hypnotized the strange yuan-ti/ cimbri amalgamation named Cryda, and we had interrogated her thoroughly, it became clear that we would have trouble getting any useful information. I asked the wretched creature to give us one reason that we should not kill her immediately. She claimed to know of a secret entrance to the Nothroc's valley and offered to lead us to it in exchange for her life. Up until now we only knew vague directions to the Nothroc's vale -- a game trail leading east towards the mountains, a day's walk outside town. Cryda swore an oath to Gudlaug and the Druids that she would not fight us or help her brethren if they were encountered along the way.

The bloodlust was upon Kuldar. He was frustrated that the sorceress Bethune refused to be cleaved in our previous encounter, and I knew that his axe would soon put Cryda’s wicked spirit to rest. It mattered not. I suspected that any further aid we might receive from her would be unintentional. She had chosen her fate. At least the fanged mutation had provided a small amount of treasure that could be used to further our cause. We collected some +1 studded armor, a masterwork scimitar, 2 potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 20 platinum pieces, and 400 gold pieces before binding her fast and venturing out to finish our clean up of the barn and inn.

Big Nate was at the inn surveying the damage and we found Vykos dragging out the remainder of the slaves for a feast. I vowed silently not to masquerade as a slaver in the future, at least not in a way that would put innocents at risk.

We explained to Big Nate how we were assaulted in the inn by Cryda and her mistress Bethune. We also offered to pay restitution for the ruined barn. As Kuldar handled this well, and Gudlaug inquired of Nate as to where we might find the residence of Solviss, the Nothroc healer that had vanished from the town, and also that of our attacker, Bethune. We suspected that the two might somehow be connected.

It happened that Bethune resided some miles outside of town, so we decided to visit Solviss’ home first, before leaving. As Malcolm sought and removed the various traps protecting the healer’s dwelling, Big Nate glanced at our work from the porch of his inn across the street. He appeared to be stockpiling water buckets, perhaps to ward off future conflagrations. He shook his head and quickened his pace when Kuldar smashed the door open.

Soon we found ourselves in some sort of herb emporium, with narrow stairs leading up. Slowly ascending, Malcolm probed for traps once more. There was a yelping noise as Malcolm deftly dodged a wicked spike that was no doubt dripping with poison. He then announced that the place was now free and clear. The two rooms upstairs proved to be a bedroom and a lab of sorts, the walls covered with scrolls describing various herbal concoctions. I was regretting that I had failed to complete my training in herbal lore when a patch of writing on one of the scrolls caught my attention, pulsating rhythmically in a bizarre hue. As I approached the scroll, I silently thanked Kanul Yat Balam for bestowing upon me this magical vision. I could now see the various auras given off by enchanted items. I also imagined that I saw a snake uncoil from the scroll and strike at my neck. Momentarily startled, I shouted perhaps too loudly “Hey friends, I think I have located another trap!” Slightly annoyed at the laughter erupting from my comrades, I turned to see that Andreas and Dario had mysteriously joined Kuldar, Malcolm, Gudlaug, and our prisoner!

Confusing explanations followed, in which much was revealed. I was quite surprised to discover that I had indeed located a trap-and set it off! A Sepia Snake Sigil I was told. I had been cloaked in amber energy, unable to move or think. It sounded far fetched to be sure, but there was no other explanation.

Having finished with their pressing business in Ephesium, Andreas and his cohort Dario had scryed Gudlaug and then teleported to his side. Andreas had subsequently been able to free me from my prison, a fact that I am most thankful for and will remember.

We informed Andreas that we were hunting for the Nothroc, a sept (sub-tribe) of the Siluri in league with the yuan-ti, and that Kuldar had joined us at the request of Queen Nighean of the Vacomagi. We had only one clue -- that a yuan-ti operative named Krace was, or had been, embedded within the Nothroc. After recounting the story, Gudlaug focused his attention once more on Cryda.

“Did you ever have contact with Solviss?” he asked

“I saw her at the Nothroc village.”

“What is the connection between the yuan-ti and the Nothroc?”

“There are lots of Nothroc now loyal to the cause. The others are our prisoners.”

“What cause? Scaly supremacy?” blurted Andreas.

Cryda smiled and her brusied and bloodied fate was lit with some insane joy, "I was told that you destroyed a lesser leader of the Yuan-Ti, Wulvera. No matter. Krace was her better. Krace has layed the eggs of your kind's destruction all about you. Krace has restored to us, Galavesh, who is greater and more Terrible than any. You will join us, or die. The eggs are already hatching..."

Sickened at this point, Andreas described a hideous new spell that he had recently acquired called acid fog. If Cryda was intimidated, she still failed to speak more.

We were soon distracted from the interrogation as Malcolm discovered a cubbyhole behind the hanging scroll trap. It contained several additional scrolls detailing a list of herbs, and also a note written in cimbri questioning the need of some of the items. Someone had sent Solviss shopping.

I wasn’t sure if it was the recipe for a potion, but I did use my herbal knowledge to identify most of the ingredients. My teachers would be proud. Some of the herbs were not indigenous to this area, but common in the southern climes. Also there were some low grade narcotics and poisons- herbs that only kulkans cultivate as far as I know. Very strange. Malcolm also found lots of potion brewing equipment and sniffed out a secret compartment in the headboard of the bed. It contained scrolls in old cimbri, extremely fragile, that recounted tales or myths of the Nothroc. We took these as well as the ingredient lists.

After collecting our cart and donkeys we departed. We noticed two men leaving the Medocii fort and heading into town, but continued our trek for about three hours and then set up camp.

That night we studied and rested as Malcolm captivated us at the campfire with stories from the scrolls he had discovered. Two stories we found particularly interesting and perhaps relevant to our current quest. One described an ancient Cimbri tribe and their discovery of a mountain valley with one end filled with fetid swampland. They entered the valley and encountered a strange race, the ard-nothroc, which Malcomb translated as "noble serpents." These ram horned serpents formed a bond with the charismatic leader of the Cimbiri. The leader of the ard-nothrac presented the chieftain with his very daughter, and the Nothroc tribe was born of that union. The Cimbri continued to protect the ard-nothroc in exchange for the serpents' great wisdom and knowledge as alchemists and healers.

Another tale revealed a terrible civil war within the Nothroc tribe. Apparently a powerful creature "with a head like a nest of serpents" found its way into the vale and resided there for a time. Some of the nothroc tribesfolk fell under its sway and led some of the cimbri astray, effectively splitting the tribe an engendering a war. Finally the ard-nothroc rose up with their protectors and fought this creature. When the destruction had ended this agent provocateur had been bound up and sealed in a barrow.

The next morning we continued our journey with Cryda in the lead. She was apparently content to lead us to this Nothroc stronghold with its mysterious “back entrance,” and slyly neglected to make it clear that Bethune’s residence was in the opposite direction. At around midday we found ourselves in a clearing of sorts, deeply forested on both sides. (When a voice from the sky suddenly made inquiries about our marching order we knew that there would be trouble.)

Several of us heard a terrible whooshing din and we turned to see the very grass in our wake being flattened to the earth by an unseen force. This invisible blast approached too rapidly to dodge, and we were shaken to our core as a black dragon suddenly appeared, soaring overhead and laughing. A terrible miasma of acidic gas engulfed us and most of our poisons and all of our water spoilt.

Two of my potions of neutralize poison were clouded and I heard gasps of dismay from Malcolm and Kuldar as they lost potions as well. The dragon spun in the air ahead and I recognized a chance to test the mettle of one of my newer spirit allies- Ikali Mox, the Living Storm! Fingering Tempest, the ice blue gem that anchored Ikali Mox to this plane, I called upon her to rush toward the earth, pummeling the black wyrm with a column of turbulent air in an attempt to bring him before us. The downdraft failed and the dragon continued to fly unperturbed. Was it my imagination or did he glare at me? Still quaking inexplicably, I was unsure. Dario fired an arrow and missed. The black dragon hung in the air, laughing, and we could see that he was both horned and fanged, and also covered with a swirling patter of green scales. In retrospect, I felt rather fortunate that Ikali Mox had failed!

Gazing upward and with a mixture hope and fear Cryda cried out “Cyranog!”

“You know this wyrm?” shouted Kuldar, grabbing her arm.

“Of course! Cyranog helped Krace to unlock Galavesh’s prison and was rewarded with ascension, like myself! Now he guards the unascended traitors.” Cryda struggled to against her bonds.

Malcolm fired another arrow and missed. Cyranog laughed again, then retreated, lazily to the east just as suddenly as he had arrived. When would he return?

He was replaced, however, by three new reptillian shapes in the sky. I grasped my blade fashioned from the claw of a devil cat and implored Xmukane Kan to encase me once again in stoneskin. Just as the three wyverns descended, Bethune teleported several yards in front of us with four cimbri guardsmen. Gondoc appeared before me and chaos ensued.

Like a rabid pack of blink dogs, Gondoc’s spirit minions were leaping and snapping at his thighs and elbows, begging to be released into the fray. Deeming himself the master strategist, Gondoc directed me, or I should say commanded me , to attack the sorceress. I think he forgets sometimes who, exactly, is running the show! Maybe I have not gone toe to toe with the Black King after fighting my way through his dread nest, but I know a thing or two about who is posing a threat! Gondoc was happily preparing to release his ghost dance when Andreas dropped an acid fog on the sorceress and her four defenders. The towering spirit was disappointed at first, but seemed well pleased by the screams that soon erupted from within the sizzling mist.

“Save me mistress!” hollered Cryda, and began running forward. Kuldar, who was already charging, turned to yell, “Stay put wench!” When Cryda continued attempting escape, Kuldar rushed her and cut clean through her torso. So much for our guide.

Malcolm meanwhile continued firing at the wyverns, and several of his shots rang true. Suddenly the sorceress and three of her, now steaming, cohorts appeared behind us. We were all exasperated by this constant teleporting, so I had Xmukane Kan haste Dario in hopes that some extra speed would prove useful. As Dario hurdled toward Bethune she shouted in draconic for the wyverns to “get the sorcerer!” All three monsters swooped toward us, but luckily Gudlaug had prepared a chain lightening and was able to kill one while severely injuring another. Wailing in agony, the second wyvern closed on us, slashing me with its jagged claw. I was knocked aside, but hardly felt the blow through my stony flesh. Andreas roasted my attacker with a scorching ray before it could continue its assault while Kuldar and Malcolm decimated the third wyvern.

Stamping his feet and howling, Gondoc would be denied no longer! He released the spirit warriors of his ghost dance and they surrounded Dario, Bethune, and the three remaining cimbri. They seemed to be awaiting instructions so I directed them all at Bethune. The maddened pack tore into her immediately, ripping and raking with delight as they strove to drag her down. She screamed with rage and then Bamf! She was gone once more.

Xmukane Kan was growing jealous at the attention being given to Gondoc and urged me to enter a barbaric frenzy and demonstrate his might. Dario had already killed two cimbri, however, and the kulkan spirits were practically devouring the unfortunate one who remained, so I chose to refrain. I did not wish to become a liability or pose a threat to my companions. Xmukane Kan does much to protect me in battle and I will reward him soon with an impressive display of his barbarian rage.

All of the dead wyverns were ascended, covered with green scales and horns and other nasty protrusions. As we inspected the dead cimbri and collected our loot we discovered that they were mutated as well. We salvaged three mighty +2 longbows and some masterwork studded armor. The cimbri also had a total of nine potions. The vials were indeed surrounded by a magical aura, and strangely enough were labeled in a neat script as cure light wounds and cure critical wounds.

I withdrew from my comrades to bleed myself and make sure that Gondoc was sated He had surely proven himself to be a worthy ally. I noticed several crows circling a small cottage set in the woods and then returned to find Malcolm and Kuldar greedily drinking the potions. Suddenly Malcolm keeled over. He was pale and shaking and drooling a lot. I shook him but he did not respond. Before long he was green and well on his way to full blown ascension. Guldlag cast a neutralize potion, which seemed to slow the trasfromation. Andreas cast a break enchantment and that seemed to finally disrupt the transformation. Within minutes the weird coloration was gone and Malcolm appeared to be normal.

We inspected the remaining potions, all cure critical wounds. We discovered that these, and in fact all of the vials, were marked with the Nothroc symbol -- includig the ones taken from the orc slavers two days ago! Kuldar secured the tainted elixirs, claiming to be immune to any ill effects. This did not strike me as a good idea, but I must admit that Kuldar did not appear to ascend. At least not in the manner that Malcolm had experimented with.

We approached the cottage and were welcomed by the stench of charred flesh emanating from the corpses of fifteen Siluri. There was a damaged wagon and a strong box that had been cracked open. We assumed that there would be a Rogulkan mercenary waiting in Medoc for the second half of a payment that now would never arrive. Vycos would not be pleased.

Inside the cottage we uncovered two crates of neatly labeled vials- healing potions of deadly ascension. There was also a list of destinations including Silurus, Medoc, Trien, Perna, Arras & Laon. All checked off.

Now some of this began to make sense. The mastermind of this insidious scheme would start a war between the Cimbir, weakening both tribes and manufacturing troops for its cause at the same time. Gudlaug summoned two ravens and sent messages to the half ogre Vykos in Medoc.

The hastily scrawled parchment read: "Your payment is not coming. Someone has killed the messengers and stolen the gold, we found their bodies about 10 miles up the road towards Silurus. Beware potions marked with the horned serpent, they are poison."

Andreas also suggested that he send Kuldar and Gudlaud to deliver dream messages via a spell. It will be interesting to see what this means and how it will be accomplished.

Of all the spell users I have encountered in my travels none of them have been trained in the old ways. I have heard rumors of non-kulkan shamans, but in reality they seem not to exist. It is difficult to fathom, but I have witnessed these mammals harnessing magical forces -- powerful forces -- while bypassing the Spirit World entirely I feel that I must learn more.

None of my ancestors had this ability, but the Spirit World abounds with those who have followed this path. The lost souls of wizards and sorcerers and priests call out to me as other spirits, searching for a shaman to latch onto, desperate for a means of ingress into our world. Many are the emotions I sense in passing, with a mixture of motives. I must find one who can further the goals of Kanul Yat Balam. I will give him a peek, let him gain purchase in our reality and then see what he can teach me. As always, I look to my Guardian for guidance.

We gathered our goods together and set off towards where we believe the trail to the nothroc villiage lies, determined to get closer and then wait until nightfall when we have the best chance to have the dream spell function. The targets, Sativola and Nighean, must be asleep for the spell to work.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Dream Message 1

Kuldar's Dream message to Queen Nighean
(Paul Grenier)

As your trusted and loyal servant, and per our agreement, I have assisted those your highness requested to seek and return a Yuan-ti specimen.

We are being forced to go directly to their base of operations and will not be able to return with a proper specimen any time soon. However, we have learned enough that you can probably find a Yuan-ti or at least their servants very close to Vacomagus -- perhaps too close.

The Nothrok tribe of Siluri has been creating and distributing potions of healing with their symbol on the label. We have reason to suspect that these potions have been delivered through the northern territories of Vacomagus but not within Vacomagus proper. These potions do have curative effects, however they also have a chance to transform the imbiber into an "ascended" creature, something closer to a "pure-blood" Yuan-ti.

[I'll create an image of the dead Cimbri, Cryda, with her fangs. ]

These ascended creatures seem completely loyal to the leaders of this cult. It is my belief that the Nothroc intend to incite the entire northern region into a war to create demand for their potions. An army will instantly be under their control if this is allowed to happen, and their plans for the Vacomagi are unknown--but I assume the worst.

A wizard friend of the group I am with learned that this transformation can be stopped by a "break enchantment" spell. However, we do not know if it can be reversed and even after death the transformed beings retain their snake-like attributes. While I'm not a study of magic, it seems that it is a potent substance indeed and something that could be the undoing of all Cimbri peoples.

Most recently the Rugulkun band of mercenaries in Medoc, waiting for their payment from Silurus, are a wild card. Their payment was sacked by the Nothroc. The mercenaries may decide to collect their payment from Silurus hides, they may fight for themselves to plunder all in the Cimbri war, or they may just go home--although I suspect they will not.

Wish me luck. We will soon begin our assault in earnest. But be wary of spies in your court. There have been two attacks on us now by a sorceress and her Yuan-ti minions. [I'll also try to summon a vision of Bethune.] Only the members of your court and the guests present that day knew of our plans to travel toward Silurus. Someone has involved this sorceress, Bethune. While she has not been successful in killing anyone, she is difficult to catch and seems to be bringing more help each time. If we do not reach the Nothroc, she alone will be the reason why and all hopes for averting this most dangerous war may be dashed.

Be wary, be well.

Last edited:

CleverName

Explorer
Dream Message II

Gudlaug's Dream Message to Sativola
(Jon Hanna)

Sativola. I, Gudlaug, come to you in your dreams via the magic of a human Wizard to warn you of a grave danger. The queen sent us to discover information regarding the Yuan-ti invasion of the Silure lands. We have found some information which promises harm for more Cimbri than just the Silures. We believe the Yuan-ti are hidden among the mountains of the Saluri with a tribe known as the Nathrach. They have been brewing a potion that can heal wounds, AND turn the drinker into a Yuan-ti servant. The victim will gain snakelike features, and will presumably be under the control of the Yuan-ti. Large amounts of this potion have been distributed among the Silures, the Brigantes, and in some vacomagi cities. We don’t think they have been distributed in Vacomagus itself, but we can’t be sure. If any healers that you know of have received healing potions from the Nathrach, they should be destroyed.

We believe the Yuan-ti are behind the upcoming war between the Silures and the Brigantes. They will play both sides against each other so that there are a large amount of casualties. When these casualties drink this healing potion, they will become slaves of the Yuan-ti. The longer and bloodier this war is, the more victims there will be. We know that the Yuan-ti have been in this region for some years, so they could have brewed a tremendous amount of the potion by now.

We also think there may be a Yuan-ti spy hidden in the queen’s court. The Yuan-ti had agents waiting for us in Medoc. They knew where we were going and when we would be there. Be careful.

We are continuing on to find the nest of the Yuan-ti and kill them. We have learned of a Black dragon that they control. We have also heard rumors of some type of demon that has Yuan-ti connections. We will proceed carefully.”

CleverName

Explorer
Adventure 18

Drinking Gudlag's Water
by Andreas (Keith Martin)

The following morning, their Dream messages delivered, Gudlaug and Kuldar discussed how best to proceed into Silurus – and how best to prepare for whatever might befall them there.

“We’ve no provisions left” Andreas reported. “The passing of the black drake not only ruined our healing and other magical elixirs, it fouled our drinking water and spoilt our food as well. I don’t fancy walking all the way to the Silurii homeland on an empty stomach.”

Gudlaug sighed. “How quickly you forget, my human friend. I’m a Druid. I can certainly find more than enough game and fodder along the way to keep even Kuldar’s belly full. And if need be, I can make water.”

“Big deal” Malcom replied at once. “Hell, any of us can make water. In fact, if you will all excuse me a moment . . .” The brash young Cimbri walked off behind a nearby tree to demonstrate his point.

“If it’s all the same, I’d as soon not lower myself to . . . drinking Gudlaug’s water” Andreas said.

“Bah, that’s not what I meant and you all know it!” the dwarven druid blurted out. “Our provisioning need not concern any of you. Of more pressing concern is what do we do next?”

“Go to Silurus. Kill everything.” Kuldar said at once. “That’s the plan I’ve advocated from the beginning.”

Andreas bodyguard, Dario, rolled his eyes at this, but said nothing. The group fell into debate about how best to proceed. Kuldar and Malcom advocated using Gudlaug’s magics to travel via the shadow plane and thus cover the distance in as short a time as possible. Andreas and Gudlaug were less interested in this approach, both being somewhat familiar with the danger inherent in such a plan. In the end, they elected to travel by foot, keeping off the road as much as possible, and relying on Gudlaug’s woodcraft and magic to both enable them to pass undetected and find the path towards the high mountain valley where the Nathrach dwelt.

The first evening out, replies came to the previous day’s magical Dream messages. Gudlaug learned that the druidical order had been informed regarding the apparent plans of the yuan-ti as well as the tainted healing potions. From the court of the Vacomagi, Kuldar learned that the identity of the suspected spy had been uncovered and he had been dealt with.

The next day, Malcom spotted a group of mixed cimbri and half-orc warriors moving up the road towards Silurus. Gudlaug spied them out in the form of a bird and reported that they seemed by their dress to be both Brigantii and Silurii, as well as a few strange lizard seeming creatures. Copoc was intrigued at this report, ever hoping to find the connection between the yaun-ti and the Black Kulkan of his own myth.

“Here’s our best chance yet to get started. Let’s ambush ‘em and wipe ‘em out!” said Kuldar. “How many, you think?”

“Fourty, at least.” Gudlaug replied.

“I’m good for twenty, you lot handle the rest” Kuldar said. He hefted his axe in anticipation.

“I doubt we need concern ourselves with them overmuch” Gudlaug said. “My guess is, this is but a tithe of those who will soon be coming up the road towards the Nathrach. I think these are deserters, essentially. The first few to fall victim to the tainted healing draughts. All well on the way to becoming like our late friend Cryda – half yaun-ti themselves.”

“We could shadow them” Malcom said. “Follow behind, out of sight, and see what becomes of them.”

The group agreed to do just that. Gudlaug continued to cover their tracks, and Malcom kept the Cimbri band in sight. The rest of the company followed at a safe distance. They seemed, by all accounts, to be making directly for the valley of the Nathrach. That night, more magical sendings arrived from Vacomagus. More fighting was breaking out, and an assassin – possible Bethune herself – had delivered a tainted kiss to Kegan, who fell ill at once.

Andreas brought up the group’s plan – or lack thereof. “As usual, we seem to be charging headlong against a foe about which we know little, with no real course of action. What, exactly, are we planning to do when we reach the Nathrach region?”

“Well,” Kuldar began, “I propose that we . . .”

“Cut them all in half?” Dario finished for the dwarf.

“Something like that, yes” Kuldar replied. “You catch on quick, for a human.”

“If it’s all the same to you, I’d prefer a plan less likely to result in us all ending up dead, or worse.” Andreas said. “Taking on the entire Nathrach nation doesn’t seem like such a plan to me.”

“We need some inssssight into Bethune’s actionsss” Copoc hissed. “Some clue asss to her plansss.”

“I have a scrying mirror in my haversack” Andreas mumbled, half to himself. “If I had some possession of hers, something she’d owned or handled, I might be able to see what she was doing.”

“What about the potions?” Malcom said. “We know she was involved with those. If she didn’t actually brew them she at least handled them.”

“It’s worth a try, I suppose. Let me see one of them.” Andreas prepared the components for his spell.

With the potion in hand, he made a few passes over the mirror, saying things in High Illerian that none of his companions could understand. “Bethune is a sorcerer and an accomplished one at that” Andreas warned the group. “Her will is strong, this may well fail or even alert her to our presence. Shall I proceed?” As no one seemed to object, or have any better suggestions, Andreas went one with his incantation. Slowly, the surface of the mirror clouded over. He seemed to see, as from a great height, a collection of buildings. Warm light spilled out of many windows, and Andreas was gripped with a momentary twisting, sickening feeling in his stomach as his point of view seemed to fall rapidly towards the largest structure in the town. With a rush, he seemed to fall through the roof of the building, down into some chamber below . . .

When the scrying trance ended, Andreas reported what he’d seen to his companions.

“I saw Bethune abase herself before a great serpentine form, a massive, scaled creature with arms ending in cruel, taloned fingers and a broad, flat, snake-like head.”

“Krace . . .” Copoc mumbled. “Aye, that would be Krace.” Malcom affirmed.

Andreas continued “To one side of the cimbri sorceress was a map, clearly showing all of the cimbri lands north of the Skia Thalassa. Small potion-bottle icons dotted most of the Siluri and Briganti villages. Krace seemed to be congratulating her. She gestured towards another map, this one apparently of the Nathrach valley. I could make out what seemed to be a vast swamp, lying between the valley entrance and what I guess to be the Nathrach city. Just north of that swamp as a marking that looked rather like a cave mouth. Depicted over it was the form of a horned serpent, chained and bound.”

“The ard-nathrach crypt, perhaps?” Gudlaug said. “The resting place of the original Nathrach, those that the tribe supposedly takes its name from?”

“Perhaps.” Andreas agreed. “It was not clearly marked, at any rate.”

“If it is, though, it bears investigation” Kuldar said. “Our list of allies could use a little lengthening.”

“What, you don’t want to cut them all in half?” Dario asked. “losing your edge, master dwarf?” Kuldar scowled in reply. “Look, lad, I’ve had about enough of your lip. Why don’t we . . .”

Andreas interrupted “Why don’t you both simmer down, there’s more. On that same map was a palisade fence, it looked to me as if it closed off the end of the valley itself, so it mut be some miles in length. It seemed to me Bethune was reporting a tally of something – five score markers were depicted near this symbol, and as she spoke to Krace, Bethune added a few more.”

“In another day or so she’ll add another forty, I guess.” Malcom said. “She probably reports on the effectiveness of the tainted potions in gathering new ‘converts’ to the cause.”

“I hadn’t considered that. You may well be right. I saw one other thing, most troubling. I saw a shadow fall over both figures, Bethune and Krace both hurled themselves face down in fear and abasement. They looked fairly terrified to me.”

“What cast this shadow?” Gudlaug asked. “I could not tell, but it had a singularly un-nerving outline. A large creature, certainly, and its head seemed to – writhe.”

“Writhe?” Copoc said. “Like a snake?”

“Like many snakes. It was our snake-headed demon, of that I am fairly certain. I saw only the thing’s hand – a very large and powerful looking hand, at that. It gifted Bethune with what looked to me like an entire skin, flayed from a living man. Or a living elf, I suppose.” Malcom looked a bit queasy. “Whatever it was, it was – tattooed all over. And it was still moving. Bethune donned it as one might don a silk robe and it – joined itself to her, is the only way I can explain it. When this was finished, she looked even less like a Cimbri than before. Her skin was decidedly scaly looking.”

“Wonderful.” Gudlaug said. “She slips further and further into full-blown reptile-hood all the time!”

“That’s not all. When this was finished, Krace gave her a case of wine, which she took and then magiced herself off somewhere. My spell ended at that point. I think she teleported herself someplace.”

“Wine? A case of wine, you say?” Kuldar said. “I think I’ll need you to make use of that dream message again, wizard. The Vacomagi import a great deal of wine from Siluri. Some of it at least comes from the Nathrach.”

Andreas made preparations to do so, and allow Kuldar to warn his people against the possibility of tainted wine. Gudlaug, Copoc and Malcom debated the merits of attempting to reach the cave or crypt that Andreas had seen on Bethune’s map. All seemed to think this was a wise plan, though of course there was considerable danger involved.
“North of a swamp, it looked to be, you say?” Said Kuldar. “Black dragons live in swamps. We know they’ve a black dragon involved in this plot.”

“Cyranog” Copoc said. “Cryda named it Cyranog. She seemed to know about it.”

“And she said that Cyranog guards the unfaithful” Malcom said. “At least, I think that’s what she said, we didn’t get a chance to discuss it at length, her desire to chitchat was cut a bit short by Kuldar’s axe.”

“Bah. She had it comin’” Kuldar spat. “I told her if she played us false, or tried to flee, I’d see her dead. So I’m a dwarf of my word.”

With all in agreement to seek out this cave, the group set out the next morning on the last leg of the trip to the valley where the Nathrach dwelt. By late afternoon they approached the palisade fence that Andreas saw on Bethune’s map. The group of forty partially-transformed Cimbri were there already. A few yaun-ti guards examined them closely before allowing any to pass through the gate.

From hiding, the group concocted a plan to pass the gate and seek out the lair of Cyranog. Gudlaug would transform himself into a bird and fly ahead, seeking out the swamp and the cave, if possible. At a pre-determined point, Andreas would scry him out and then use his magics to teleport the entire group nearby. Gudlaug unpacked the last remaining gear from his mule, Gertrude, then sent her loose to make her way back towards Vacomagi as best she could. “She’s uncommonly bright for a mule” the dwarf said. “I’m sure she’ll be fine, just fine.” Dario thought he detected a bit of uncertainty in the dwarf’s tone, but said nothing.

The group put this plan into action, and Gudlaug, in the form of a great night bird, had little difficulty spotting the hunting ground of Cyranog the drake – the panicky wildlife was his first clue. The sudden appearance of the dragon, as it dove into a small herd of deer was his second. Luckily, dragons take little interest in the doings of screech owls, and the druid was able to scout out a potential camping spot with no troubles from the drake. At the appointed hour, Andreas spied out the dwarf’s location and brought he group there via his magic.

“Sleep as best you can, we’ll likely be tangling with the thing tomorrow. I spied the cave, it’s a few short miles north of us, just outside the swamp proper.” Gudlaug said.

“Know any charms to ward off the thing’s acid breath?” Kuldar said. “I mean, I have no need of them, but the others might want a bit of protection . . .”

“Aye, I do, as does Gudlaug I am sure” Andreas said. “It will take more than that, though, but I have a plan . . .”

The next morning, the company made their way towards the cave entrance, spells prepared, and a plan of action in mind. Outside were a few scaly-looking characters, including what Malcom at first thought we a group of Kulkan – Copoc’s people. Suddenly, the shaman hissed through clenched teeth “Black Kulkan! Scourge of the ancient nest! You will die by my hand!” He pulled forth his great, two-handed war-club and charged. It seemed to Andreas that he cast a spell of some sort first, but he had never seen the lizard-man in such a red rage before.

One of the Black Kulkan quickly revealed himself to be more than it appeared on the surface – a great pair of black wings unfolded as he charged into battle. He belched forth a line of caustic bile that burned Gudlaug and Malcom as they came to grips with the others. Cyranog’s brood were quickly overwhelmed, however, between the battle frenzy of Copoc and the axe and spear work of Malcom, Kuldar and Dario. The half-dragon hissed something in draconic (which Copoc could have translated for the group, were he not in a berserk frenzy) and the last few black kulkan withdrew quickly into the cave itself, leaving the scattered and wounded others to fend for themselves.

The group quickly dispatched these few and then made hasty preparations to enter the lair itself. Abjurative magics in place, they made haste, hoping to catch the drake where it could not use its powers of flight to dictate the course of the battle. Malcom crept forward invisibly to position himself for best effect, but the smell and hearing of a dragon are at least as keen as its eyesight, and the drake seemed to guess at the half-elf’s location. With a spell, it plunged the entire cave into pitch darkness. Only the two dwarves could see Cyranog and his two surviving black kulkan lackeys.

Andreas cursed and spent a few precious moments dispelling the gloom. Malcom charged, but his blows were easily tuned aside by the dragon’s thick scaly hide. Dario rushed the kulkans while Gudlaug called up a mighty pillar of flame, which badly wounded the drake and felled one of his defenders.

“First blood!” the dwarf cried. “Get at him, quickly, Malcom won’t last against that thing.”

Indeed, the dwarf’s words were almost prophetic, for Cyranog unleashed a terrible torrent of claws and venomous bites at the poor Cimbri. Malcom, sorely wounded, fell back as best he could towards Copoc, who readied some healing magics. Kuldar closed with the drake, and dealt it a few terrible blows – any doubts Dario or Andreas had about the dwarf’s ability to combat something other than a bound and terrified cimbri captive were dispelled.

Cyranog turned his attention towards Kuldar, and the dwarven defender was sorely pressed to bear up under the drake’s assault. “I thought you had a bloody plan, mage!” Kuldar cried out.

In answer, Andreas let forth a shimmering, ruby beam of energy, which struck the drake point blank. The dragon visibly grew weaker, its massive muscles shrank, the mighty wings and tail seemed to droop feebly. “That’s more like it!” Kuldar cried. The dwarf threw himself into the fray again, while Dario and Copoc dispatched the half-dragon kulkan.

But victory was elusive, and Cyranog was canny enough to know when he was beaten. The dragon withdrew, and slithered down a passage in the back of the great cavern where it laired. With a cry of rage, the dwarf gave pursuit, charging down the twisting passage as best he could. The dragon was just fast enough to stay outside the reach of his axe, and the tunnel emerged at last in a large chamber with a pool of foul-smelling liquid. Into this Cyranog the black dragon dove, even as Kuldar cried out curses at him.

“Damnit, you big scaly coward! Get back here and take what’s coming to you!” The others burst into the room behind him. “Bah! The damn thing’s given us the slip! Some plan, wizard.”

“That was but half the plan, dwarf. I didn’t expect the thing to turn tail so soon, though the spell of enfeeblement I hit it with was especially potent. It must have been sorely wounded.”

“Damnit, anyway” Gudlaug said. “We’ll not get a better chance at this. I tire of our foes fleeing just as we are about to finally strike them down, first Bethune and her damnable hit and run tactics, and now this!”

“The fault is mine.” Andreas said. “The thing shrugged off a few of my spells, I should have been better prepared. Next time, I’ll take a simpler approach.”

The group gathered at the edge of the pool. “Who here is our best swimmer?” They all looked at Copoc. The lizard man looked none to excited about chasing a black dragon into the murky depths. “I can’t breathe water, you know . . .” he said. Suddenly Malcomb pointed towards the back of the chamber.

“Look, there. Looks like a passageway. As much as I hate to leave Cyranog behind us, we may find what we came here for in that direction . . .”

[Game mechanical notes – Anyone who doubts the usefulness of the Empower Spell feat need only have been present for that battle. One Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement sent Cyranog from a strength of 23 to a strength of 8. Of course, the dragon wisely decided to haul ass at that point – more’s the pity, as Andreas never got to fire of the Everard’s Black Tentacles spell he’d meant to use to pin down the weakened dragon. As I said, though – next time, a less complicated plan.]

Last edited:

Gideon

First Post
Shamans

Clevername, how is the mongoose shamans book working out for you? My players are embroiled with some of them and I would like to simulate a spirit based system of magic more than a druidic base. It is getting to be about time that I am gonna need some numbers. Thanks for the opinion.

CleverName

Explorer
Gideon said:
Clevername, how is the mongoose shamans book working out for you? My players are embroiled with some of them and I would like to simulate a spirit based system of magic more than a druidic base. It is getting to be about time that I am gonna need some numbers. Thanks for the opinion.

I definitely would reccommend it with some caveats. I really like how the interaction between the spirits and the shaman works out -- lots of good roleplay potential as the shaman tries to keep his mob happy. In game play it seems balanced, but David is really into his character more than powergaming -- YMMV.

But it is a fair amount of paper prep work, since the DM and player have to prepare each spirit beforehand. The template provided is too complex for my liking, and David and I are working on re-doing that.

Here's Gondoc for example:

Gondoc, Legendary Kulkan Warrior

Description: Gondoc appears as a Large Kulkan with deep red scales dressed in the skins of emerald serpents and jaguars. His maw is always caked with dried blood. He is an ancient hero, but craves blood above all else.

Favored Ally

Level: 8

Domain: Warrior (Invocation DC 18)

Anchor: A small ceramic bowl caked with dried blood.

Pact/Tasks: Each day as a Favored spirit, Copoc must spill the blood of self or allies equal to 1/10th of Copoc's maximum hit points, or sacrifice (1 hour ritual) the blood of enemies equal to current hit points x 10.

Granted Power: +1 to all attack rolls

Spells:
1st — Shield, Enlarge Person
2nd — Ghost Combatant (CotW), Bull’s Strength
3rd — Curse of the Impeding Blades (MHb 34)
4th — Magic Vestment, Inflict Critical Wounds
5th — Ghost Dance (CotW), Slay Living
6th— Tenser’s Transformation
7th — Gondoc’s Club (Mordenkainen’s Sword)
8th — Iron Body

Last edited:

Remove ads