• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Called Shots: Aiming at specific body parts rule and discussion.

The short and long answer to Called Shots is no.

I tend to agree. Having played in systems that allow them (and add'l damage or effects because of them) it seems that all combat just becomes an exchange of called shots to the head. D&D already has a mechanic that allows for similar effects - critical blows. Also I think it's important in 5e to accept that combat is an abstraction and that changing it to allow for more complexity just means more time in adjudicating combat to little gain in the play experience.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
My short and simple: Call all the shots you want. It's a normal attack unless you crut. Then I might consider some extra effects (possibly for trade off of extra damage).

Simple, but more involved: Disadvantage on a hiy, trade at least half damage for an appropriate effect of DM's choice. Effect might not last more than one round, but that's up to the DM.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Ganymede81

First Post
For my table, "Called Shots" are merely when a PC does a massive amount of damage with a single hit. In other words, it is just an abstraction for when PC's land an especially telling blow.

I'll say, "you lock your aim dead-center of the orc's unibrow, and the arrow strikes true."

GlassJaw

Hero
Round 1: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 2: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 3: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 4: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 5: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

DM: Do you really have to keep aiming for the crotch?

Round 6: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Go for the nuggets Boo!!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

schnee

First Post
Not bad, not bad at all. Feels pretty 5E. Please consider these ideas for a few tweaks.

1) Make the condition temporary in the combat. Like, it lasts for 1-3 rounds, or the victim saves every round to overcome the condition, like most spells that do that sort of thing. That is very 5E.
2) Define what conditions you can get ahead of time. Hit the knee to slow to half speed, head to get stunned, weapon hand to give disadvantage on their melee attack rolls, whatever. Make it defined so players don't constantly try to game it to get more.
3) Scale the damage to go with the condition. Blinded is worth a LOT, so reduce damage. Stuff like that.
3) No groin shots. C'mon. That's just asking for trouble. :D

Erechel

Explorer
Called shots should also slow you down, since technically you're aiming and the more precise the shot the longer it takes and the tougher it is to make. Having shot several courses of USPSA your standard point of aim is center-mass. It is your fastest, standard shot and should land in an area 6"x11" for best score. However, occluded (target has cover) and head shots are definitely harder to make at speed and require more accuracy. Precision in the heat of competition is different from lining up a shot with no stress, as well.

Given this I would lobby that a Called Shot should consume a second attack (for the time needed to aim for a specific location) and increased difficulty to hit (probably a static AC modifier). This means that only classes that get more than one attack per Attack action would get a Called Shot ability and doing so would consume both attacks. Other classes either don't get them or need to use an Attack action in the round before the Called Shot to set it up.

That's why I said that it's a readied action that triggers when the foe attacked has done its action. It's basically the same reason, but working inside the system.

Erechel

Explorer
Not bad, not bad at all. Feels pretty 5E. Please consider these ideas for a few tweaks.

1) Make the condition temporary in the combat. Like, it lasts for 1-3 rounds, or the victim saves every round to overcome the condition, like most spells that do that sort of thing. That is very 5E.
2) Define what conditions you can get ahead of time. Hit the knee to slow to half speed, head to get stunned, weapon hand to give disadvantage on their melee attack rolls, whatever. Make it defined so players don't constantly try to game it to get more.
3) Scale the damage to go with the condition. Blinded is worth a LOT, so reduce damage. Stuff like that.
3) No groin shots. C'mon. That's just asking for trouble. :D

Groin has half cover and disadvantage :p. Nevertheless, this is in draft form, but the fact that I do not give specific conditions is that I tend to leave that to the DM or the player. I've sometimes played and I make extensive use of stunts as a character (I've posted an example last week of my fighter bashing the head of a grappled enemy against a wall to stun him), and I kind of like the freedom of improvisate an action. And also, recharge the list with specific effects is kinda the opposite of 5e. I think that making a specific list goes against the spirit of D&D (too constrained), although I could give a list of possible effects. Also, not every weapon works well with some conditions. It's a negotiation between the DM and the player, I think.

About the damage and the condition, that's up to the weapon. Blinded is a difficult condition to apply, unless you throw sand to the eyes of the rivals. Some weapons will be better at inflicting certain conditions, and some to give damage (a greataxe, EG, is more a killer weapon than a "stunning" one). I think that a mace is better at stunning than a dagger, but ultimately, it's up to the players to describe their actions to achieve certain effects.

But I think you are right about the duration of the effects and conditions. Maybe a save each round is the way to go.

Remove ads