• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Called Shots: Aiming at specific body parts rule and discussion.

Erechel

Explorer
I've seen players wanting make things like this since I begin to play AD&D 16 years ago. People always want to hit specific body parts to cause different effects, a thing that directly confronts with the HP system of D&D by introducing located injuries instead of reducing abstract vitality. AD&D 2e has its own rules, which are the base of what I've done here.

This rule is for those who want to aim at specific body parts instead of “the body”, but doesn’t want to mess with the HP system. You see, the problem is the adjudication of effects of targeting, and at the same time making it a risky tradeoff with the "normal" combat. (I've uploaded this in a response of a rpg exchange thread). I think that Conditions are the perfect resource for this, since they work in tandem with the HP to give some complexity and agency to combat, applying specific effects besides the decrease of health. The main issue with them is that most of this effects are unreachable by mundane means: often only magical characters have this complexity, because martials "should be an easy option" (-hence the Champion). I defy that claim, I think that conditions lkie Stunned are much more akin to martial means than magical ones. SO I merged the two facts in a single (almost simplistic) rule, which works within the mainframe of D&D 5th.

Called Shots

If you don’t already have disadvantage from any source, you can attempt a called shot. A called shot is a readied action triggered after the foe has taken its turn "opening" its defense, and the attack is made at disadvantage. Furthermore, certain body parts are considered to have half cover (such as the head and the groin), so it’s even more difficult to hit them.

The attack still does the normal damage, even if you hit the head of a foe: it might only be a dramatic scratch (remember how many fiction characters have scars in their faces, like Rurouni Kenshin). Nevertheless, in a called shot specific effects are applied. The main effects of affecting body parts are applying a condition if the shot is successful. The condition is decided by the player but it must have sense for the attack (such as stunning a foe with the pummel of a sword to the head) and the DM has to approve it, and the foe must succeed in a Constitution saving throw to avoid the effect. The DC of the save is 10 or half the damage taken, whichever is higher. The foe can repeat the save at the end of every round if it is conscious, ending the condition in a save.

If the attack is a critical hit, the condition is applied without save. Alternatively, if the attack is a critical hit, you could apply a lingering wound instead of a condition (see the DMG, p. 272).

Why this Could Work

• First, you have a called shot which makes sense in a fight- you have to aim, so you drop initiative until your foe acts. You also don't benefit from multiple attacks, as you can't use the extra attack feature in a reaction.
  • Second, you can't have disadvantage in the attack to even attempt a called shot, much like the rogue's Sneak Attack, thus you can't "pile" two disadvantages and say "well, I already have disadvantage, so I don't really lose anything if I try".
  • Third, you still benefit from advantage, but not so much that the Called Shot is an obligated feature, and it is always a tradeoff from a "normal" attack. If you already have advantage, it is cancelled the disadvantage from the called shot, but a normal attack would still have better chances to hit.
  • Fourth, groin and head are the most protected parts of the body, at least because the arms are moving and covering them so you apply half cover, increasing the difficulty of "one shoting" the head of the foes one more time.
  • Fifth, you still do normal damage to the character, no matter which body parts you attack. You don't "one-shot" a foe by attacking its head, but you still have a benefit (a condition which must have sense for the attack; no "stun" with an arrow), and the enemy has a fair chance to overcome it (a Con save). In a critical hit, you still have the benefit of auto-succeed the condition or use the lingering wounds rule of the DMG.

Battlemaster Disclaimer

Some people like to claim that this called shots "step in the battlemaster's toes", but they don't. Battlemasters don't apply conditions as reactions by attacking specific body parts with disadvantage. The battlemaster uses the basic mainframe of the D&D combat, but their maneuvers "improve" their normal attacks with special resources (the Superiority Dice, which usually increases damage) and also sometimes apply conditions (but not only; they have many effects, like giving reach to the attacks; parrying; tripping; reaching two other enemies; goading the enemies; give advantage to the attack; disarming, etc).

Also, attacking a specific part of the body shouldn't be a class feature. This are the specific things that any character could attempt, although, arguably, certain classes should have a better time trying these things. And they have. The Battlemaster is one of the main beneficiaries of the Called Shots: they have Action Surge (like the other fighters), which allows them to attack normally and also ready an action. They also have their maneuvers, which could increase the chances to hit (giving advantage to the attacks or increasing the precision), or the chances to apply the conditions (via increased damage, thus increasing the save DC).

Thougths? comments?

Last edited:

hastur_nz

First Post
Not a fan, but kudos for at least imposing Disadvantage on the attack.

See, not all Conditions are created equal, not even close. You're opening up a can of abuse-worms, by putting this into your game. Personally as a player I'd be trying to Stun enemies all the time e.g. "Kick to the Solar Plexus FTW lolz!", or if I was DM I'd be Stunning /Blinding / etc the PC's all the time and how much fun would that be? Pretty soon, you'd find you need to solidify exactly what can and can't be done, what penalties to attack, etc, then you've got a complicated table to refer to... and for what - 'realism' in a game that's deliberately Abstract?

Minor nit-pick - some would say that Every attack waits for the foe "opening" its defense (that's what the abstraction of Initiative represents, apart from the obvious Game element), so making a Called Shot a Readied Action doesn't make sense.

Anyway, there's a reason some of the old-school things got tossed out...

Last edited:

JValeur

Explorer
I've actually recently written rules for Called Shots, inspired by how it was done in Pathfinder. I impose flat negative values, however, since I like how it plays together with advantage/disadvantage. The lingering effects are dispelled with Constitution saving throws, so that higher level creatures aren't just put out of combat instantly, by suffering one of these injuries.

Bear in mind, I haven't yet playtested these rules - but right now I think I've managed to balance them on the side of less powerful, instead of more powerful, which is always the best place to start, in my opinion.

View attachment Called Shot.pdf

transtemporal

Explorer
I'm not crazy about it but for different reasons. A readied action is already a big trade-off for most martial characters so I would leave it at that but I would make the save DC 8 + prof + ability. The half damage DC would make the range of DCs wildly variable. I would also make the condition end at the end of the PCs next action.

When my players want to hit a certain body part, I'll just make them roll at disadvantage. After all, it's harder to hit a specific body part than hitting at all. That's well within the base rules of my power as DM.

I added a ruling for it lately, though, so my players don't constantly just go for the eyes or whatever weak point they see: Rendering body parts useless requires the attack to drop the target's HP below 50% of its maximum (e.g. if the target has 80/100 HP, the attack needs to deal 31 or more damage to succeed, otherwise it just does damage).

Called shots should also slow you down, since technically you're aiming and the more precise the shot the longer it takes and the tougher it is to make. Having shot several courses of USPSA your standard point of aim is center-mass. It is your fastest, standard shot and should land in an area 6"x11" for best score. However, occluded (target has cover) and head shots are definitely harder to make at speed and require more accuracy. Precision in the heat of competition is different from lining up a shot with no stress, as well.

Given this I would lobby that a Called Shot should consume a second attack (for the time needed to aim for a specific location) and increased difficulty to hit (probably a static AC modifier). This means that only classes that get more than one attack per Attack action would get a Called Shot ability and doing so would consume both attacks. Other classes either don't get them or need to use an Attack action in the round before the Called Shot to set it up.

JValeur

Explorer
Called shots should also slow you down, since technically you're aiming and the more precise the shot the longer it takes and the tougher it is to make. Having shot several courses of USPSA your standard point of aim is center-mass. It is your fastest, standard shot and should land in an area 6"x11" for best score. However, occluded (target has cover) and head shots are definitely harder to make at speed and require more accuracy. Precision in the heat of competition is different from lining up a shot with no stress, as well.

Given this I would lobby that a Called Shot should consume a second attack (for the time needed to aim for a specific location) and increased difficulty to hit (probably a static AC modifier). This means that only classes that get more than one attack per Attack action would get a Called Shot ability and doing so would consume both attacks. Other classes either don't get them or need to use an Attack action in the round before the Called Shot to set it up.

That's actually quite reasonable. Kinda sucks for the rogue, though, which would presumably be really good at Called Shots. But surely something can be done about that.

Round 1: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 2: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 3: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 4: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

Round 5: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

DM: Do you really have to keep aiming for the crotch?

Round 6: I ready an action and aim for the crotch.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ristamar

Adventurer
I don't think discrete penalties to hit vulnerable areas are a good fit in D&D if only because the combat system is already abstracting that very concept with Hit Points, Armor Class, attack rolls, and critical hits. Placing that system under a microscope usually results in exploitation if it's at all useful. Beyond that, it often throws a wrench in the flow of the game given the extra math and tables (and, IME, the petty squabbles regarding the rationale of said variant rules).

If you don't require a universal solution, I do believe you could emulate a called shot mechanic with powerful conditions if it's properly baked into an encounter utilizing preset requirements or cooperation from other party members. It may involve one or more steps, including (but not limited to):

• Hide/Stealth to approach a target
  • Athletics checks to scale a brute
  • Readied/Help actions to create a window of opportunity
  • Forced movement of the enemy to expose a weak point
  • Expenditure of a highly limited or conditional resource (e.g. Inspiration, a unique blessed arrow, etc)

Last edited:

That's actually quite reasonable. Kinda sucks for the rogue, though, which would presumably be really good at Called Shots. But surely something can be done about that.

Good point. You could rule that Cunning Action would fulfill the requirement for the extra attack with regard to a Called Shot.

Remove ads