D&D General Campaign Setting Contest: Should We Do It Again?

This was his first post in the thread.
Yep, [MENTION=261]Doc_Klueless[/MENTION] already pointed out my mistake and I gave him XP to acknowledge it. I've also edited my post to admit the mistake.

I'm fairly certain that someone calling something 'adolescent' in the context of why they dislike said thing is meant to disparage said thing.
I'm not. Besides, even if someone is disparaging something, their is no reason to get worked up in the defense of said thing.

As for the original topic of this thread.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a contest because it might just present something new and original. Never know. But I don't think WotC would do such a thing. It already has plenty of settings to revive if it so chooses.

As for an adventure contest... their is one going on right now and we are all first tier judges. It's called the DMsGuild and has been operating for a few years now. By purchasing, rating, and reviewing adventures and content we are all nominating to WotC concepts and authors that we think should make official products. And guess what? WotC then reviews those periodically and pulls in new talent from the Guild creators. Some they bring in for mapping, others for design, and some they name "Adept" and give them a psuedo-official license to create add-on content.

IMO, it's a much better long term method than any event based contest.

Aldarc

Legend
As for the original topic of this thread.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a contest because it might just present something new and original. Never know. But I don't think WotC would do such a thing. It already has plenty of settings to revive if it so chooses.
That's the thing. I think that Hasbro-WotC is primarily focused on IP management mode when it comes to D&D.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
No enumerated list could possibly contain my antipathy. The name of my hatred is Legion.

“Hey Lowkey? What do you dislike today?”

”Whaddya got?”

"...when asked what races and classes he hates, he answered "Gnomes and paladins, for they are many."

Mystara is actually pretty exotic and different. You got subterranean Aztec elves, a Japanese moon you can fly to, the whole planet is hollow with a sun suspended in the middle, with all sorts of interesting races and cultures inside (Black Lore/nonmagical elves, Aussie-Outback style Orcs).

If they do a Mystara product, how likely is it they'd give a good amount of space to the Hollow World? I love Taladas, but I'm sure that any Dragonlance product would focus on Ansalon (and more specifically the War of the Lance).

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
If they do a Mystara product, how likely is it they'd give a good amount of space to the Hollow World? I love Taladas, but I'm sure that any Dragonlance product would focus on Ansalon (and more specifically the War of the Lance).

Ah, yes, Taladas, love that boxed set (Time of the Dragon), another ahead of its time campaign setting, and the origin of Kits. Greco-Roman minotaur kingdom, Mongolian elves, depressed kender, gnomish death commandos, feral jungle illithids, Glass Sailors, so much goodness.

Aldarc

Legend
Eberron, Midnight, Dawnforge, Morningstar, and Peter Brett's Warded Man book series all came from that contest. It's safe to say that its impact was felt far beyond just the one that won.
Midnight for 5e seems like it would easily be doable with only a few adjustments.

I would love to see Dawnforge updated for 5e, as I think that a "prequel fantasy" to what D&D presumes is somewhat missing in the current field of settings, whether 3pp or official.

However, I also find that that the original Dawnforge a bit too conservative in presenting the "prequel to D&D" by having wizards unchanged, despite druids, clerics, and monks having replacement classes that were meant to be like prefigured versions of the classes. It seems like class dedicated to the study of magic would have also had an earlier version as well.

Nevvur

Explorer
And here I am, with my homebrew settings.

Tame Halflings who ride Giant Foxes...

Wait...

Why are Halfings always riding something?

Because the people who play them lack the imagination to invent personalities more complex than, "I'm small," and they need a crutch.

Remove ads