D&D General Campaign worlds: fluff crunch or canon?

Coroc

Hero
While Wotc has brought out some stuff for classic campaign worlds other than FR, some unexpected new things like Ravnica, some material which has been received mostly positive like CoS, some other stuff like Eberron seems to be controversial.

Here is my question:

What do you expect most from new setting material?

A complete description of the world aka boxed set which allows someone new to this specific campaign world to get enough knowledge without any previous material to run a campaign there?

Rule conversions which take into account the signature quirks of former editions which made this setting different fromstandard material?

A continuation of the established plotline with an adventure path?

In short: Do you want fluff, crunch or canon?

ChaosOS

Legend
I think adventure paths are so-so if they're trying to make a metaplot. Eberron for example has stood by never having a metaplot, while for other settings I think metaplots risk making the setting inaccessible over time - you have to buy all the things to get caught up!

In the age of internet people don't have to spend money to get fluff, lore or background because we only to read the wikis about literary sagas, movies, videogames... and usually a sourcebook about lore only is readen once or twice.

Usually I have wanted to buy books about new classes, PCs or manual monsters.

aco175

Legend
In a new setting book I want to see an intro adventure that highlights the new world and shows how it is different, and also the same. A new book should have a chapter on the general world and what makes it different. Some stuff on classes and races like warforged or artificer. New gear like dinosaur mounts or lasers can fill more space. Maybe detail a kingdom or starting base like what FR did with Phandalin.

It should be enough to sell me on the world and not be that light that I mistake it for another region of FR, unless it is Al-Qadim

Remove ads