Campaign writeup (2 updates September 7th)

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
First things first, I can't take any of the credit for the writeup; it comes from one of my players who I don't think exists on the boards at this time. However feedback is (as ever) welcome, and I think session 2 is in about a month once we've finished another campaign, then we're likely to become more regular!

---------------

The Cast (So Far):

Durzon Blint – (Revenant-Drow, Assassin-Executioner)
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs23/f/2007/319/c/e/Altair___Assassin__s_Creed_by_Rahll.jpg

A dark elf assassin who works for the thieves guild, at some point in his career he got careless or took on a job greater than his skills allowed and found himself bleeding in an alley, but that wasn’t the end for Durzon, raised by the Lady of Fate he is still coming to grips with his newfound un-life. Perhaps in death he’ll be a better assassin than when alive.

Brick – Goliath, Bard
http://dungeonsmaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/exiled_goliath.jpg

A gentle (somewhat) giant of man (or at least half of one), he’s plied many trades working as a courier, bouncer, enforcer and even an entertainer to make ends meet, his thoughts have recently turned to politics, believing he can make a difference in the city if only he can find enough people to hear his voice!

Uriel (or possible Yrriel) – Human, Paladin
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.wowinsider.com/media/2009/02/zach_tlahtsi_paladin-tank-dummies.jpg

Sadly I’m coming up a little blank here, so I shall leave this for Kevin to apply a little bit of info (and the correct spelling of his name).

Ashelyn – (Tiefling, Hexblade)

An asset of the thieves’ guild, a blind and scarred beggar girl that would tell peoples fortunes in the street. They took interest when her predictions were found to be truthful, kept in simple comfort her predictions have steered the guild to profit and power for the last decade.

Location Information (Copy & Paste from the Hand Out)

Ragesian Empire – The Ragesian Empire is located on central lowlands dominated by many lakes. While the core of the empire is populated heavily by orcs and half-orcs, the outer regions have wildly diverse cultures and populations, the result of having once been many separate nations, conquered by sword and torch. Their leader Emperor Drakus Coaltongue has recently gone missing and the key to his empire’s success the Torch of the Burning Sky along with him.

A side effect of this is that the deeply distrustful agents of the Empire have started a Scourge, their inquisition snatching Arcane Spell users for interrogation.

Shahalesti – On the far side of the mountains that mark Ragesia’s eastern border spreads the Shining Land of Shahalesti, ruled by Lord Shaaladel, a middle-aged eladrin who rose from being a military commander to the nation’s ruler during the ascension of the Ragesian Empire. Shahalesti was in danger of being conquered like Ragesia’s other neighbour’s, and Shaaladel’s aggressive displays of force—including the conquest and destruction of two nearby elven lands that were hostile to him—are credited as major reasons why Ragesia has so far not looked east for conquest.

Gatepass – Gate Pass lies in a rocky mountain pass running east to west between Ragesia and Shahalesti. Sheer cliffs mark its northern and southern borders, and fortifications built over centuries have made the city highly defensible, making it difficult to be annexed by either nation that surrounds it. These same fortifications, likewise, make it equally difficult for anyone to leave without going through any of the numerous gates that give the city its name

Dassen – The Kingdom of Dassen lies to the south of Ragesia, and the southwest of Shahalesti, its borders defined by craggy mountains defended by hundreds of small dwarven strongholds. Dassen’s people, a swarthy assortment of humans and dwarves, cherish their land, to the point that superstitious cavalrymen even put dirt in their boots so never have to stop touching the soil of their homeland. There are no mighty cities in Dassen, only thousands of farms and towns growing out from the nine castles of the king and his dukes. The largest city, Bresk, lies on a major river beside Steppengard’s castle, and is a hilly community built both above and below ground.

Lyceum Academy – At the end of a swampy isthmus on Dassen’s southern tip, the town of Seaquen is home to a school called Lyceum, devoted to teaching magic of all kinds. Students of Lyceum are encouraged to learn a variety of magical styles, and are trained in spelldueling techniques similar to Gabal’s in Gate Pass. They were relatively unknown in the region until recently, when Simeon, headmaster of the school, sent out a call to all the people in and around Ragesia, asking for them to stand up against the threat posed by the Ragesians and their new leader Leska.

The Academy is also the unofficial home of the Wayfarers Troupe.

The Wayfarers – Every port in the region has at one time or another been host to the Wayfarer Theatre, a beautifully-decorated ship that is both home and base of operations for the Wayfarers. The Wayfarers are both master acrobats and skilled mages, prone to dress in elaborate and eclectic costumes with elements cobbled together from dozens of lands.

Session Summary

New Year’s Eve, normally a time for great festivity and celebration but this year danger looms over the city. The Ragesian Scourge is slowly creeping closer and magicians across the city have gone missing, fled or taken. The more prominent spell casters of the city have called upon the people to stand united against the Scourge, but when two of the most vocal council members vanished support vanished. “What have they ever done for us, sat in their towers messing with things they shouldn’t” is a sentiment shared across the city.

The city is thick with snow, more than usual for this time of year but the people soldier on, its they do. Tonight there is a meeting at the Poison Apply Pub; three strangers each make their way to a secret meeting “Side Door… Midnight… Torrent” is their instructions, each given by different people for different reasons.

Uriel received his note from Helda Claearcal, a disciple of the Goddess of Strength. Durzon has been sent as a representative of the thieves’ guild, tasked with aiding torrent with her plan, what aids the city aids them. Finally brick, whose note was no doubt, was directed towards someone else. A man at a pub merely placed the note in his hand along with twenty gold coins; Brick believes he has been hired to perform a new year’s celebration.

They reach the pub to find it closed, confirming each is here for the meeting. Then they notice the windows are all boarded up and a notice nailed to the door proclaiming that the owner has been arrested and under interrogation with the Ragesians.

Inside awaits Torrent, a white haired warrior cleric and member of the Resistance, her axe set to one side as she sits at the lone table lit by a single candle. Beside her a young tiefling woman, bandages wrapped tightly around her eyes slowly sips beer from a small cup. Invited in person by Torrent, her handlers at the thieves guild accepted her terms at the insistence of the girl herself, ready to leave her secluded life.

“Our friends have arrived” says the girl quietly moments before there is a quiet knock at the side door and a deep whisper “Torrent?” she lets them in and guides them through the darkened tap room to the table, where brief introductions are made. Outside the Bells toll, ringing in the New Year, toasts are made and then business is conducted.

She explains her mission, the resistance has obtained military intelligence directly from the imperial palace, she must get this information out of the city (which is now under severe lockdown) hopefully before the empire attacks, and their army is only a day away. She has contacts at the Lyceum Academy to the south and a plan to get there if only we can get out of the city.

We must meet with a resistance spy that has been undercover for the last few years as a servant in the palace, a gnome called Rivereye Badgerface. His usual contact has been killed but Torrent has in her possession a signet ring and password to establish a meeting at the Depository, an armoured tower in the city that has rents out secure lockboxes.

However before we can conclude our totally super secret meeting the pub is attacked by thugs. Sadly it does not go well for them as everyone proves themselves quite competent including the blind orphan who transforms into something demonic and wrong wielding a blade of twisted metal and oozing shadow. Before people can question the transformation of the girl however the city is attacked, pots of alchemical fire a rained down from above by wyvern outriders and the pub itself is bombed forcing us to retreat. The city quickly descends into chaos, under guidance from torrent we head towards the depository.

On the way we are given chance for some daring do: First we meet a husband and wife, both badly burned leading their children away. Brick lends his aid, healing their wounds with his melodic magic. Secondly we find a damsel in distress atop a burning building, Uriel steps up, clambering up the side of the building, rescuing the lady from her balcony mere moments before it falls, earning a kiss as a reward.

We reach the gate separating our current district from that of the Depositories and find it choked with people, all in disarray, wounded and carrying scant possessions while the guards try to keep a modicum of order and civility. A dark shadow passes over the gate and the guard captain pauses mid speech, leaps off the top of the barricade screaming and tries to run away… the shadow strikes the crowd and they buckle causing a stampede of people trying to flee, we ourselves are overcome with fear (which once we’ve calmed a little deduce to be Dragon Fear, somewhere high above a massive dragon is soaring, lending his aid to the attack).

However the Dragon Fear panic has left the gate unobstructed and we continue, the tower of the depository in sight when we are approached by a rather foppish and distraught merchant desperately trying to find his pet weasel Kiki. The loss of a pet stirs something in the bard’s heart and we are lured into side questia, easing the mans fears and following the weasels tracks to an abandoned building, inside we follow the trail to a kitchen and a drain surmising the weasel is in the sewers a few experimental gropes down the tunnel, some weasel wrangling and a few weasel bites later Kiki is reunited with her master and we had found a mysterious box shoved down the drain and

tucked behind, no doubt someone’s stash spot and our Bard is rewarded with a set of shiny chain mail (no one else wanted to wear something they found in a sewer).

Finally we reach the tower and its guards, 3 burly looking orcs led by a dwarf. Torrent steps forward and presents her key, testing it on a lock attached to a wooden plaque worn on a chain around the dwarf’s neck. With a click the lock is sprung and the guards looked relieved, standing down. We are allowed in, passing through opulent gardens before reaching the high tower, where another guard lets us in and warns us against doing anything stupid like trying to open the wrong box. Upstairs we meet our gnome, but something isn’t quite right about him and within a few moments we realise he is an impostor and attempts to flee, where we meet his accomplish a ball of elemental energy known as a soul wisp.

(They were constructed by the primordial’s as troops to fight the gods, but were never good enough. With the primordial’s defeated they were forgotten, going their own way to promote balance and peace, so instinctively good creatures)

Chasing the “gnome” up a few flights we deduce that he’s using some kind of illusion, and his plan of climbing outside the tower comes to an end when he is outpaced by the bard running up the inside and booted off the balcony, falling four stories and landing with a bone breaking crunch. He is finally brought to an unconscious end by Durzon abseiling down after him. His illusion drops to reveal a Shahalesti (eladrin). The assassin happily steals the Eladrins boots (of spider climbing) for himself. Having cleared things with the guards about “our attacker” they let us take him inside for questioning provided “we can get a crack at him afterwards!”

After a little chat we manage to track down the location of the real Badgerface (locked in a lockbox above) and question the elf, he is a spy for Shahalesti and was after the military intelligence for themselves (the notion of sharing didn’t seem to occur to them) and they have the sealed lockbox with all the information in themselves, planning to flee the city in a tunnel they’ve been digging but it is still several days from completion. We then leave the elf to the guards, one particularly mean looking orc opens up a locked pulling forth all manner of sharp objects… we leave the tower quickly, aiming to reach a resistance safe house underneath the temple of wine and revelry.

However are trip is interrupted half way by an epic battle waged above us, one of the Gatepass gryphon riders is taking on a Wyvern rider, the two beasts and the riders are dragged into a death spiral with the nimble gryphon swooping out at the last moment, the scaled wyvern however slams into a house a few meters from us, its dead carcass strewn over the broken remains, inside of the ruins building a baby starts crying “Nooo not my child aaaaaaaaa” comes a female voice and then nothing. Kicking open the door we find a huge orc, a babe in one huge arm, his axe at its throat “Back away… I aim to be free of this place!” he growls.

At first Brick attempts to talk the orc down, he weakens his resolve with soothing words but not enough, the blade is brought back “no, none of your tricks!”. Uriel attempts to intimidate the orc, questioning the courage of a man that hides behind the child, the Orcs eyes go dark with rage and sweeps his blade across the babes throat, tossing it aside and licks the blade clean before giving us a royal kicking, we finally bring it down but at all left broken, bloody and spent. We limp our way to the temple, push our way passed the crowd of desperate and wounded and Torrent clicks open a hidden door down to the cellar and home of a small resistance cell, we take rest here, tomorrow we must find the elves, retrieve the information and flee the city. Gatepass has been brought to a panicked standstill by merely the advancing scouts and outriders of the empire, god knows what the full force of their army will do.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wish I'd been able to make it to sit in on the first session. Sounds like it went well!

Eccles

Yeah. Sorry about the short notice - previous game plan fell through at short notice! Went really well, though - next session's in a fortnight, then I think we're a regular weekly thing. 8-9 books behind the other group, I wonder how long before we catch up? ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. Sorry about the short notice - previous game plan fell through at short notice! Went really well, though - next session's in a fortnight, then I think we're a regular weekly thing. 8-9 books behind the other group, I wonder how long before we catch up? ;)

Pretty quickly, I imagine. I bet you're running the AP ahead of me by the end.*

*Won't be possible because I get them first!

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Great start my little game is running here at ENWorld...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playin...ing-sky-campaign-saga-scouring-gate-pass.html

As it is pbp I have to tackle the problem of "to much combat" slowing it down and edit things around.

I cringed when I read the part about the wyvern rider killing the baby. (Gave me a good//bad mental image). And you didn't say but it looks like to me you are using 4e (like the soul wisp concept)? And are you the DM?

HM

Eccles

Yeah. I've played to level 21 of it in 4e which Morrus has been running, and now I'm running it from the start for my group. We'll be starting properly a week on Saturday in a group with 2 strikers which plays for an hour or two more each week than the Thursday group with no strikers - so I'm serious that we're going to catch up at a rate of knots!

Eccles

Session 2 over. Went well if I'm any judge. One fatality (which got fixed very quickly) and 3 good fights.

Also we got to have a 'bard-off' featuring the awesome power of the goliath jazz flute. (Not a euphemism).

And a complete re-write of the crypt encounter.

Eccles

With some of us a bit broken and bloody we reach the temple of wine and revelry, but it certainly doesn’t live up to its name. Filled to capacity with the wounded and dieing, people came seeking refuge and found as much as the priests could spare. Here we follow Torrent as she seeks a way through the crowd, urging people to make space as we carry the wounded body of the gnomish spy (rivereye badger face) deeper into the temple until finally we reach the head priest Beuron (and leader of the local resistance cell), a large friar who looks happy if stretched to the end of his rope.

http://jonathanturley.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/f40.jpg

He gives Torrent a welcoming hug, glad that she is ok and her mission a success and leads us down through concealed doors into the crypts where a resistance safe house has been set up. Racks of simple weapons and supplies rest against stout walls and he points out a few side rooms with simple sleeping pallets that we can take rest in. Badgerface is taken away by a couple of priests, no doubt to heal his injuries in a more serene part of the safe house and we are left to our own devices for a moment before Beuron appears at the door, his eyes lingering on the goliath.

“my fellow, I wonder if I could crave a boon… we have a complication upstairs that I’m sure your…” he says taking the bard by the arm, squeezing it softly “strengths… can overcome”, never one to turn down work Brick agrees, Ashelyne pads along quietly behind the pair as they head up, the sounds of a dirge like song getting louder as leave the crypts. The source of the music is a hulking female Half Orc singing in a deep baritone as she strums along listlessly on her mandolin, around her the crowd watches on awkwardly. Listening for a moment it becomes clear her “song” is about her now dead female lover, snatched cruelly away by the Ragesian flames.

Across from the room stand a priest and a paladin, the paladin in particularly looks galled by the bard, his hand clenching and unclenching rapidly over the haft of his cudgel, a peace-tie of pink ribbon lashed quickly around, securing it to his belt loop. “as you can see, its quite killing the spirit of our flock, perhaps you could do something to raise the mood, inspire and encourage, anything must be better than this?” asks Beuron “leave it to me” says Brick enthusiastically, patting one huge hand upon the friars shoulder and reaches for his “large flute”.

And he begins to play his Jazz flute, at first he seems to just be playing random notes, but catches the attention of the crowd, soon his notes flow falling into a pattern, drowning out the dirge with their bohemian wildness. Lost in the music he begins cavorting, darting here and there, the crowd’s eyes follow only him as he builds to a feverish crescendo.

Half Orc Bard http://www.elfwood.com/art/y/e/yenk/the_half_orc_bard.jpg

Jazz Flute Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy Movie - Jazz Flute | Video « MOVIECLIPS

Meanwhile forgotten and ignored the half-orc finishes her song, listened to only by the blind girl as she reels of line after line of her lost love and their death pact. While the goliath skips left and right behind him she shoulders her mandolin, glares a hate fuelled gaze to those how ignore her loss and stomps outside, quickly followed by the paladin and two lackeys, in turn Ashelyn follows them into the cold night air. Beuron is quick to squeeze Brick in thankful embrace “you’ve done wonders my boy, wonders”, concerned about his fellow performer (no matter how dire!) Brick disentangles himself from the friar’s clutches, makes his excuses and dashes outside.

In the dark street outside the paladin and his two comrades stand facing the Half Orc “you’re not welcome here, do not return” he says sternly, fingers wrapped tight around his cudgel, still at his waist but the peace tie is gone. She simply glares at them, defiantly until a ball of muddy snow catches her in the face, more snowballs are flung by the paladin’s allies until eventually cracks “I hate you all, no one understands us!” and she flees in tears into the night. Brick watches her leave and then heads back inside, his large hand patting little Ashelyne on the head as he steps passed her “she has a troubled soul” he says sadly. Now alone the girl looks up her

“vision” picking through the blizzard above to see the stars clearly and the beings amongst them staring down at her “don’t we all...”

In the morning we meet with Beuron, he tells us that both Torrent and Rivereye left early this morning to meet contact and informants regarding Gaball’s School and Shiallis (the Shahalesti mage who currently possesses Rivereyes box of military intelligence), he tells us it’s something to do with the Singing Chasm and a tunnel. Our own interrogation of a Shahalesti in the depository had mentioned them trying to flee the city in a tunnel that was not yet complete.

He also has some resistance work that needs to be done, and two additional “recruits” to introduce “they came in late last night, survived the fire and thankful we are for that small mercy. Their talents are unusual, but I’m sure you’re used to that!”

Kain – Half Orc Rogue

A relatively unknown enforcer for the thieves’ guild and resistance, a former member of the Ragesian army, he “left” in one of its infrequent times of peace. He arrived in Gatepass leaving a trail of muggings and petty thefts behind him and has been here ever since, living a life of simple luxury afforded by his lack of scruples and love of other peoples money.

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderRPG/PZO1110-Assassin.jpg

Crossed with http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/HalfOrcAssassinmini.jpg

Lembit – Deva Confused Wizard (Shaman)

In stark contrast to his companion Kain, Lembit shines with statuesque beauty. Strong of Jaw, high of cheek and a noble brow he would cut a fine figure if only his attention span would pass muster. Lembit appeared in town a few years ago, enrolled at Gabal’s school but has made great progress as an academic and historian, but his practical magic is wild, primal and untamed… far outside the remit of Gabal’s curriculum, and eventually charity wore thin and he was asked to leave.

The Deva Race

Deep in the recesses of memory, devas’ recall what they once were: immortal servitors of the gods of good, spirits who chose to bind themselves to the world in mortal flesh. For millennia, their souls have been reborn to wage an endless war against the forces of darkness.

Like most of his race Lembit has lived many, many lives, being reincarnated upon each death, to learn from his mistakes and continue the fight. Unlike other Devas’ Lembit spent a considerable number of these lives replaying the same lives or similar as a wizard, such memories are hard to let go, old habits die hard so they say, and so do Deva’s!

http://static.plaync.co.kr/pr/aion/event/091111_devaday/deva/bg_deva_wizard.png

Gabal’s School

Gabal, a famed evoker who helped drive the Ragesians out forty years ago, maintains a school of war. This large cluster of squat towers connected by covered bridges and surrounded by a moat and fence is jokingly known as The Castle. Gabal’s students — identifiable by their red robes — are generally viewed as arrogant and hot-tempered, but their mentor forces them to sell their services for low prices, particularly in matters of defense and construction, and a handful of wizards serve in the city military. Gabal is said to scorn magic-users who do not study spellbooks for their powers, and has a particular dislike for sorcerers and warlocks, commonly saying he doesn’t trust people who have that much charisma. Charm is a personality flaw Gabal proudly lacks.

With the introductions over Beuron tells us that another of the resistance members who works at the depository has information regarding Ragesian Infiltrators, we meet the dwarf and he spins a tale of a “cat like beast” that fades into the night, he followed one of their wounded members back to a warehouse and will gladly show us the way. In way of thanks for services rendered (and future service to be rendered) Beuron hands us a satchel “I’ve secured these from supplies, they should serve you well I hope” inside is a collection of healing potions and some gold for our efforts.

Soon we are out of the temple and back on the streets huddled up against the snow and chill wind that whips through the pass, nearly every street shows sign of fire damage, and the air is thick with the smell of charred wood or worse. We pass groups of peasants sat idle in the streets waiting for death to take the, while others form work gangs, clearing away fallen stone and the bodies they cover. More than once Kain breaks from the dwarf’s lead, clambering over the wreckage coming back with minor spoils and trinkets… the fortunes of war.

Soon we reach the district in question, lanes and alleys clogged with fresh unsullied snow, the tracks of visitors clear for all to see. “that’s the one there, can tell by the way those Ragesian bastards gave it a wide birth” says the dwarf spitting into the snow and takes his leave, but his point rings true the warehouse is untouched, with only slight damage to the buildings near it. Kain and Durzon go scouting, with the assassin making it onto the roof, slowly sweeping snow away from one of the ventilation hatches he peeks inside, spotting a number of bandit / guard types along with a mage in robes. We plan to go in the front door while he will slip through the hatch.

Our “ambush” goes true to form with Kain lifting the bar from the door silently however the thing then drops as it clears the hooks and clatters to the floor, the Ragesians inside take cover behind the crates.

Highlights

* Durzon manages to enter the warehouse more stealthily than the rest of us (perhaps because we were standing in the doorway like lemons) and manages to shoot on in the neck with his hand crossbow, the three bandit types retaliate by hurling daggers at him that miss.

* Our brave “charge” into the warehouse becomes more of an amble, ending with Ashelyne falling into a 10foot pit that had been concealed along the main path.

* The Cat Beast turns out to be the mage’s familiar a Psuedodragon, a long thin reptile with wings and a barbed poisonous tail, this manages to do a number on Durzon bringing him very close to dropping but not for his undead hardiness. o http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/pseudodragon72_med.jpg

* Ashelyne manages to find herself trapped between the wizard and her familiar, eventually dropping unconscious because of a combined magic missile and tail lashing, leaving her very close to death on the floor.

* This is then confirmed when the assassin shoots the dragon with his hand crossbow and kills it, causing it to explode in a poisonous explosion that rains crates down upon the little blind girl crushing her.

* With his familiar dead the mage attempts to flee but is outflanked by the assassin and gutted like a fish.

Ashelyne finds herself in the darkness, cold, empty and alone… she is scared, a heavy weight rests upon her, crushing and squeezing the life from her, suddenly there is an intense heat burning inside, a spike of pain to her mind and the visions begin.

* First she sees a war fought between unknown soldiers

* Second a great Stag made of flame charging towards her

* Thirdly a great beast of green tentacles battling a huge devil

* Fourth, a bearded devil armed with a large glaive attacking her

* Fifth a man dressed in fine pink clothes walking away from her

* And finally the face of a gigantic dragon, appearing and breathing fire, reducing her to ashes

As soon as it came the heat vanishes, leaving her alone, incomplete… empty.

When the others move the crates the girl is lying there, the same but different, scrawnier like all the fat has been burnt from her body… pale and still like the grave, but then finally takes a sharp intake of breath… born again.

Giving the girl space and time to rest, they search the warehouse, from his clamberings atop the crates duzon spotted a chest hidden within taller stacks and using the key found upon the dead mage they click it open finding a small hoard of treasure and a series of documents detailing the groups’ orders. They were to arrange a diversion near Erdan Menash’s house to allow another group a chance to abduct him.

Erdan Menash

Erdan is a council member, the third council member to stand up against the scourge, and the only one of the three that hasn’t vanished under mysterious circumstances. He is known to be flamboyant, bohemian (and closely homosexual) that from time to time sponsors adventuring groups, usually outfitting them with matching outfits and lavishly detailed (in a camp style) weapons and equipment.

Lembit takes the mages staff, a length of black fire hardened wood capped at each end with red iron. While Kain finds a fancy dagger inside the chest, its blade waved like a flickering flame, touching the rune stamped into the hilt causes the short sharp blade to ignite. (Also possible he found a new coat and boots among the dead Ragesians, and a few odds and ends from the warehouse as well).

We return to the temple, where the priests treat the worst of our injuries, seeing the state of the girl Beuron offers to take care of her personally and guides the waif away from the others, sitting her down and begins his prayers and sets his hand upon the girls head. There is a brief “manly” squeal from the friar before he dashes away quickly, clutching at his hand in pain, skin pallid and sweaty “I… ah… need some air… she’ll be fine… fine” he stammers quickly heading away as fast as possible while still looking reasonably dignified. Ashelyne meanwhile finds a deserted tunnel in the crypts and sits silent in the dark, distraught, empty and alone...

A few hours later, suitably recovered the Friar calls us all together, asking us to join the resistance “you would do us a great honour in joining, with your actions over the previous days you’ve certainly caused a stir” he chuckles “You’ve inspired the men, I’m sure some of them would be”… he begins eyes settling on the little girl and his voice changes from up beat to confused “follow you into the depths of hell…” and winces, his good arm reaches to squeeze his bad reassuringly. He manages to muster a smile when we accept and begs leave to rest “I feel a little queer, brick my fellow perhaps you’ll play for me a while, sooth my nerves, yes?” he asks, the goliath accepts, waving his flute eagerly.

Alone in the friars room he tosses back and forth in a restless sleep but eventually the soothing lullaby tones of Brick’s flute manage to calm him into a more peaceful slumber but he remains asleep until the morning. The rest of the party are stuck as it were in the crypts safe house awaiting the return of Torrent and Rivereye. Content that his playing is no longer needed Brick leaves, closing the friars door behind him and pads (as quietly as a seven foot man can) along the corridors, he turns a corner and glimpses the trim of a jet black cloak, images of the Half Orc bard flash in his mind and on instinct he calls “hello?” but this only hastens her footsteps, he follows in earnest until finally reaching a dead end in a seemingly abandoned tunnel, large footprints however show signs of passage through the dust choked corridor and scrape marks of a door.

Utilising his “great” strength he manages to heave the door open, a waft of stale air comes fro the passageway, he calls again “hellooo?” his only reply is the sound of distance chanting punctuated with a ghastly wet scream “Are you ok in there?”, he takes a hesitant step inside and then stops, sense overcomes valor and he runs off in search of friends, barging into the shared common room “there’s a wounded Half Orc in the under crypt!” he burbles, the mention of a Half Orc raises Kain from his amusement (turning the fire enchantment of his knife on and off) and soon Brick is leading the rest of us back to the secret doorway.

As we approach a figure stumbles through the doorway, a badly made limping skeleton made from odd length bones, broken blades strapped where its hands should be and a flickering purple fire where its heart would be. Kain lobs his knife at it, the flaming dagger crashes into its ribcage and the whole thing explodes with a sharp crack, blasting fragments of bone all over the place (but none close enough to hurt us). Lembit rushes forward to investigate, turning the larger sections of bones over in his hands. “Ah the bone shard skeleton, a staple of low ranking necromancers and cultists, still a tricky customer in a narrow area” and quickly begins the tale of

one of his many, many deaths adventuring “although the one that got me was much better constructed, sloppy workmanship, you can see around the hip bones, different sex legs for a start”. Standing up the “wizard” bangs his staff into the ground, its iron cap sparks and the whole staff glows a deep red illuminating the way “after me gentlemen” and steps fearlessly into the tunnel, Brick brings up the rear, shutting the secret door behind him.

(Middle picture) http://dndd.yolasite.com/resources/monstermanual.jpg

On our way down the corridor we meet a few more undead, this time dwarven skeletons with stout shields and sharp axes that make a bit of a mess of our rogue Kain. We eventually find a catacomb with some more undead, Durzon attempts to sneak in first, but strays into the sights of three skeletal archers, inside we find a much larger (or perhaps well built) undead warrior and what was described to us as “a puddle of flesh”. Both Kain and Durzon are knocked unconscious (possibly twice) during the fight but eventually we bring them down and can investigate the gruesome remains.

A study confirms what we suspect (the remains are of the Half Orc), piecing together the evidence at hand Lembit believes that a dark ritual was cast with herself as the target. He holds the flaps of skin and flesh together and points out a weird gap at the neck “usually the focus of these types of things are a necklace or amulet” and predicts we would be dealing with more than just a skeleton, “she’s probably come back as a Wight, that’s a kind’ve undead thing fuelled by hatred, quite nasty” his gaze then follows the bloody marks we had missed in the red glow of his staff leading back up the corridor to the secret door. “You don’t think she got out while I was getting to you?” asks Brick.

We return to the secret door and upon opening it the screams of the dieing are finally audible “I think that confirms your thoughts Brick” adds Kain for once un-eager to throw himself into battle. We follow the trail of destruction and slaughter up and out of the crypts to the temple proper. In the main chamber is the Wight and a small force of bloody skeletons, battling against a lone priestess and a handful of resistance thieves. The priestess calls upon her god, smashing her holy symbol in the face of one skeleton and triggers a chain reaction of bony explosions killing the priest and her allies. Dark energy pulses from the necklace around the Wights neck, and the skeletons of the recently fallen pull themselves free of their flesh and the large gem in the necklace shatters.

We battle the Wight and its risen allies, managing to destroy any bone shard skeletons away from everyone (especially the peasanst still in the room as they try to flee for their lives). This fleeing is further complicated (or possible aided via scary herding) as Ashelyne transforms again into something wrong, wreathed in flame and ichor, horns and tentacles. Brick takes his lumps in this fight, being the target of the Wight “soul draining great hammer” more than once or twice, each hit siphoning off his resolve. But with the undead inside the temple destroyed we join the resistance fighters outside (along with the Paladin of St Cuthbert) and mop up any strays and we aid in cleaning the worst of the slaughter away, and with a snow storm predicted people would rather be inside and warm with a bit of blood on the walls than freeze in the purity of the snow.

Torrent and Rivereye finally return, and after hearing of our adventures share their own information:

* Shiallis (the Eladrin who is currently in possession of Rivereye’s case full of stolen secrets) was recently the focus of a big celebration at Gabal’s upon her progression to Paragon (level 11).

o As part of this promotion she has been given her own set of apartments within the school and has started investigating the Burning Sky and its cause (why people are set on fire when they teleport).

o She has a rival at the school a mage called Diogenes who disliked her noticeably and he himself could be a potent ally against her, such is the level of his displeasure.

o Secretly she is still awaiting the completion of the tunnel into the Singing Chasm so she can flee the city safely.

* Meanwhile Rivereye believes that an old contact of his is still within the city walls and that this ally rivals Shiallis in power (or at least closer to her than we are) and might be convinced to help our cause and retrieve his information so that we may leave the city ourselves and take it south to Lyceum Academy.

With all this information shared the pair is exhausted and after our own trials and tribulations all head to bed to get a good nights rest (or nightmare laden slumber depending upon who you are). We are woken before Dawn by an anxious Beuron (still nursing his hand defensively and wary of catching the little girls eyeless gaze) “one of my men has discovered the tunnel to the singing chasm will be finished earlier than our predictions, he claims it will be ready by the end of today. Torrent and Rivereye have left to muster their allies, you must find Shiallis and delay her anyway you can until they arrive!” and with that we’re hustled out of the temple with a rushed breakfast into the cold winters morn.

After a little trudgery we reach Gablan’s school and see that it certainly lives up to its nickname of The Castle (protected by a moat as well as a tall metal fence, the school resembles a keep more than anything else with four large towers poking out from its thick looking walls). Near the drawbridge is a robed figure, leaning against one of the stone supports proudly sporting a paunch, lazily puffing away at a cigarette as we approach Lembit recognises him as Diogenes. “What are you fine fellows doing here on such a fine summer’s day?”

Eccles

* At Gabal’s school we bump into Diogenes smoking Tabac, we engage in some chit chat and small talk, mostly led by Lembit wishing to display his many “familiars” in a flea circus style display, Diogenes is not amused by this performance at all.

* However he changes his opinion when we mention we’re here to see Shiallis and upon confirming his dislike of the Ragesians tell him that she has some of hers that we need to get back to aid the war effort / suffering of mages and he lets us in and after a bit of conspiring aggress to help us. Using an artefact from the school to encase us within a wall of force he will guarantee we get an audience with her that she can’t walk away from… (Of course will we…).

* Knocking on her door we’re welcomed in by an unsurprised Eladrin woman (Shiallis) looking ready for war or as much as an Eladrin can… (That is to say armour under her robes but still ready for a ballroom dance should the need arise). She knows us all by name (except Lembit and Kain, who weren’t in the presence of her familiar when we were accosted by her agent at the depository).

* She immediately tells us the box is safe, not here and we’re wasting her time, letting slip that she hasn’t and can’t open it yet, saying nothing of her imminent departure down a tunnel. We beat around the bush for a bit and Kain while snooping for things to steal spies a note on her desk that stands out against the missives of flowery cursive with its harsh lines. Another flea circus style performance from Lembit and some diplomatic talking from the paladin generations him a sufficient enough distraction needed to pocket the note.

* He quickly makes his uncouth excuses and asks to use the restroom, revealing the note is a map, does his business and has a rather unpleasant mouthful of Potpourri believing it to be a fancy Elven snack…

o The map itself leads to an area within one of the Eladrin Ghetto’s within Gatepass, obviously a hideout along with a clue to accessing it “Mundane before Celestial before Demonic”.

* Meanwhile the diplomatic measures of the Shaman and Paladin have altered her opinion upon sharing information and if we were willing to open the box for her, could take a copy of the information (as long as she keeps the original… or possibly kill us all if the information is considered too sensitive to share…)

* Outside the school we bump into Torrent who is joined by a rather quick-tempered Halfling storm sorcerer called Ferris (the back up…) who runs an underground school. Upon learning he isn’t needed tries to get the full fee but settles for a reduced rate and leaves, venting his fury upon a beggar who gets in his way.

* With him gone we share the map information and the offer of a deal, she lets us decide the best course of action so we decide upon using the map to the secret hideout.

* Reaching the ghetto we find the rough area to be one of three possible houses, this problem is rather diplomatically solved by Urien who asks one of the playing children politely if they knew who lived in the houses. One is pointed out as “where the new people lived, they moved in recently and came from the old country” surmising this to mean they came from the Shahalesti kingdom, that would be the hideout.

o Investigating the building we find tracks in the snow that lead to a hidden wooden doorway at the side, cunningly painted to look like brickwork. Upon it are icons related to various people and beasts, we enter the code on the map pushing first a peasant, then an angel and finally a devil. The door opens with a click, click, and clunk.

* Before we can enter the place we’re greeted with a mysterious invisible voice “You fella’s down there, you couldn’t help a fella out now could ya?” in a thick Irish brogue. After a little discussion the owner of the voice aggress to show himself, a red skinned imp in a badly arranged “angel costume”. He quickly returns to being invisible upon threat of pain from the paladin.

o However Lembit and Ashelyne coax the story from him, summoned by an unknown wizard “the fella had me over a barrel” to “find and collect the box the Shahalesti had taken and bring it back to him”.

o He regales us with his hopes of bettering himself and getting out of the summoned help game, perhaps moving up to being a familiar “those fella’s have it easy” listing off the various fringe benefits which includes “as many duck eggs as you can eat” a fact we were unaware of.

o However while his knowledge of the arcane and inane covers a lot he seems woefully inept at the basics of the mundane and mortal and is quickly convinced that “anything with bumps” must be a woman, noticing the stony nodules of the goliath greets him as a lady, and prompts the goliath to stomp into the building in a huff, alerting the (wait for it…) guard badgers.

o http://www.motleycollegefootball.com/Images/Angry_badger.jpg

* After a run in with the three guard “Feywild Badgers” and three Shahalesti, we managed to defeat most of them (one escaping by running upstairs and jumping through a window…) we search the place, find the box (which the imp wants, happy to wait for us to open it so he can take the empty box with him “that’ll learn the eeejit to be more specific with his fecking summons” as he put it).

o However the Imp (blarney by name) gets impatient, and settles upon taking any old box in the house that had been held by us, fulfilling his contract. He makes his leave slipping two calling (or is that summons) cards upon Ash and Lembit.

* We return to the resistance safe house, box firmly in hand. There we learn that the inquisition is demanding that a team of inquisitors be allowed into the city or they shall commence their full attack and given the council a single day to make their answer.

* Our plan of getting out of the city remains unchanged, with using the clout of a leading council member to grease the wheels for us. We’re told the runner they sent to Erdan Menash to warn him about the abduction plot was mostly ignored, safe with his own level of security. We decide to visit him in person in the hopes of swaying him to our course.

* We head to his manor, meeting his guards (all fine fit men in terribly camp uniforms and tabards), his butler informs us he’s at a council meeting but we can wait in the salon. A room clad in exotic weapons of all shapes, sizes and arrangement, a veritable gallery of death and cruelty apart from the fact that each and every one is awarded some kitch touch (blades shaped like animals or fruit shaped pommels).

o Kain takes one such weapon of death and destruction (a staff with two big axes blades at each end), takes a brutal pose and quickly puts it back when he notices that axes blades are shaped like two bunnies holding hands. o http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20081207/Easter-Bunnies-Holding-Hands-994098.jpg

* Soon Erdan arrives home, upset that it appears the rest of the council have caved, the inquisition will be let in. He quickly introduces himself and greets all his guests.

o Urien is first to be picked out amongst us as a potential favourite, his parentage recognised instantly “ah you’re Billy’s lad aren’t you, the third one they don’t mention at dinner” and quickly reminisces about “darling Billy”… uncomfortably stares all round.

o However he is quickly cast aside as the charismatic (except in name) Brick is noticed “oh my, well you’re a big one aren’t you… you know what they say about goliath’s don’t you”… nudge, nudge, wink, wink. The conversation quickly borders on the lewd when he hears of Brick’s flute playing. Enquiring if he has “that knack for breathing through your nose while your mouth is busy blowing the flute”

o He tells us tales of the cities brave efforts to fight back against the Ragesians, highlighting tales of a druid that shifted into a great eagle and joined two brave gryphons riders who “saw the dragon off!”, of a great earth elemental summoned from the sewers (an unpleasant image to say the least) and finally of a wyvern brought down, and a brave group who dealt with its riders, he becomes even more enamoured with Brick once he learns that it was us.

* Still he declines our offer of protection / idea of fleeing the city with us (being quite confident in his ability to hold off a small army with his own house guards, all hand picked by him “it was a long and hard vetting process, I can tell you…” but he has contacts including a friend of his “Captain Herriman” in the cavalry who still runs patrols out, he believes the captain will be able to smuggle us out with his troops and dashes off a few official (and unofficial) notes.

o Having heard tales of his donations to other adventurers Brick “butters him up” and he awards each of us a gift from his collection of magical gee jaws to aid us. (Most take rather flowery necklaces, Ash takes a small rod with a mewling kitten on the end, Durzon takes Ki Focus of a small topless male monk sat in a rather suggestive variant of the lotus position and is quickly tucked out of sight. Urien distrustful of all gifts from nobles refuses politely)

o Torrent accepts a falchion shaped like a dolphin but secretly confides it’s a gag gift to be given to a colleague at the lyceum.

* With these gifts given he asks two more favours the first, when Brick returns to the city he is to play for him. The second is magical blue box, found in some recent digging in the city. We’re to take it to “Dougan Rambousen” at the Lyceum Academy, where perhaps he can shine more light on whatever the hell it is.

o Finally his servants bring forth backpacks and sacks filled with “travelling ware” (tents, bedrolls, tin bowls etc) for our journey, everything we could need (and in a butch shade of lavender…)

* With everything set we head towards the Cavallry stables keen to see Herryman and be on our way. However noticed we’re being followed by the city guard and finally a group appear in front of us from an alleyway and say “we’ve been ordered to bring you in” however their outfits look a little on the cheap side and an obvious black armband (of the Black Horse Mercenary Band) gives the game away and a ruck ensues.

o One of the mercenaries sensibly surrenders, however his information is rather useless so we let him go. He doesn’t know how hired the band he worked for only his boss (who's dead now).

o We learn a little about the Black Horse Mercenary Band (who also attacked us at the poison apple pub on new years) and how Cathor Danaver is the current leader of the band (a man who is well liked around the city by the upper class, and by coincidence the son of the commanding officer of the Ragesian Army sat outside Gatepass).

* While picking over the dead a man slips from the shadows “a good job done there, thought I might have to swoop in and save the day but you had it all in hand”. It’s none other than the “Folk Hero” Rantel who has been meaning to introduce himself to us for a few days now, it seems that news of our resistance work has flittered through the grapevine.

o http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UA7CK7uuqQA/SwLRuROohFI/AAAAAAAAABY/rH5U4Gx_fVM/s1600/9werrol.jpg

* He has a sister who is a sorcerer (and a fiery red head and far too beautiful for her own good), Urien takes notice of this…) vanished shortly before the scourge began, he believes she fled to the lyceum. We expect him to want to join our merry band but instead settles upon us taking a missive for him instead which we are to hand over should we find her.

* Finally we reach the stables and meet the captain, slightly shocked to find he’s a Bearded Half-Orc (it would appear Menash prefers his men a little rough and ready), who upon reading the request starts laughing “that man’s crazy but ok, he’ll owe me another dagger for my troubles” and proudly shows off the dagger with its banana shaped pommel…

o We are duly fitted out as guardsmen and given horses, with orders to stay at the back of the group and avoid drawing too much attention to ourselves and soon we’re on our way following the patrol through the city towards the southern gate.

* Up ahead it seems a riot is going on in the streets, our escort breaks away from us keen to keep the peace and the rioters retreat quickly splitting into groups and soon our cavalry escort is out of sight leaving us alone in the street near a shop front, inside come a selection of flashing lights, incantations and then a scream…

Remove ads