• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a dead character be healed by RAW? (Forked Thread: Bloodied vs. Dying)

Stalker0

Legend
In the forked thread mention, an argument came up that says there is technically nothing in the core books that says that dead characters cannot be healed. They are still dying and bloodied, and nothing says that healing can't apply.

I think we will agree that its not the intention, still...its a fun debate in RAW. So let's see what people can find. Is there RAW to say that dead is in fact dead...or is this a true oversight in the rules?

Journeymanmage

First Post
(not directed at OPester) I get tired of seeing the "It doesn't say I can't argument" ...

Can they point out where in the rules it says you >Can< heal a >Dead< character.

4th is a Permissive system. If the rules don't say it, you can't do it. (consult your local gm/dm for further details and exceptions).

Otherwise, someone could ... roll a d20 and call out "18" (die shows a '7') ... rules don't say you can't call out random numbers. (Gee, the DM just assumed that's what I rolled and it hit....) Nor do the rules say "Don't Cheat". It's one of those things people usually learn before finishing their first few years of school: Don't run with scissors, Share, Play well with Others. (Don't eat the paste).

I'm guessing anyone that wants to >seriously< argue that you can heal a dead character (in the context of 4th ed.) must have missed the lesson on paste.

keterys

First Post
You can heal them by RAW as far as I can tell, but it doesn't remove the death unless the power says so...

So, very well preserved corpse.

Mahali

Explorer
In the forked thread mention, an argument came up that says there is technically nothing in the core books that says that dead characters cannot be healed. They are still dying and bloodied, and nothing says that healing can't apply.

Some things are so obvious they don't waste space on them.

The designers attribute a certain level of intelligence to those who play their game. I think they frequently are very optimistic.

Same reason they setup base rules instead of spelling them out on every power.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
On a related note, since it only takes a portion of the corpse to raise a dead character, what stops you from using other portions to raise a few more of them?

eriktheguy

First Post
You can heal a dead character by RAW, but the rules simply give conditions for a character to become dead (less then bloodied in the negetive hp or 3 failed death saves). The book does not state any conditions for a dead character to become 'not dead' that involve HP. Your corpse could be at max HP.
Any sane DM will ignore this, since its essentially book keeping. But still, funny.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads