Can any enemy be made to attack itself?

babinro

First Post
Rules as Intended - Sure, why not. It's fun for powers to work against enemies. Players don't enjoy watching their powers fizzle because of misunderstandings on the rules.

Rules as Written - No. You do not consider yourself an enemy. The power would have to say the attack is against a target, or a creature for you to target yourself.

As a DM, I tend to use all rules as intended until clear abuses or game imbalances become apparent.

Iceman

First Post
Rules as Written - No. You do not consider yourself an enemy. The power would have to say the attack is against a target, or a creature for you to target yourself.
Actually, I'm pretty sure this one works as written. The reference in the power to Enemy is from the acting character's perspective, not the view of the one being slid and forced to swing.

In other words, if I had an at-will that said "One enemy" as its target, then I could not use it against myself. That's the issue that spells like Hypnotism sometimes run into.

The Red King

First Post
Rules as Intended - Sure, why not. It's fun for powers to work against enemies. Players don't enjoy watching their powers fizzle because of misunderstandings on the rules.

As a DM, I tend to use all rules as intended until clear abuses or game imbalances become apparent.

I would let it work, but as always..... anything a player can do, an NPC or monster could do.

Zuche

First Post
I don't let such powers force creatures to attack themselves because it's more interesting to see the alternatives players will attempt if they don't have that option. That applies to the opponents they face as well.

Balesir

Adventurer
The point of this line is to decide whether the first attack hits or not. So, for clarification:
When someone attacks Pazuzu, they make to make the attack and ALSO slide 1 and attack someone with an at will. If the second attack hits, then the first attack (The initial one, the one against Pazuzu) takes a -4 penalty.
Note, however, that the attack against Pazuzu goes in second, not first, since this power is an Immediate Interrupt, not an Immediate Reaction.

And, yeah - welcome to ENWorld! :)

Remove ads