Can Demons and Devils have class levels?

Matafuego

Explorer
Most of them (I think all of them) advance by HD... Does it mean they can't get class levels?
Can a Balor be a Barbarian or a Kyton be a monk??
What do you think / what is allowed?

Thanks a lot!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dragons also advance by HD, but are frequently presented with class levels.

There are even examples in the SRD which advance Outsiders by class levels.

So I'd say it's pretty kosher, even if the general rules don't spell it out.

(Also, given how sweet Outsider HD are relative to all other HD, I'd say it's even balanced most of the time.)

Cheers, -- N

robberbaron

First Post
It's my favourite way of spicing up an outside encounter.
A few levels of fighter for mastery of an exotic weapon (spiked chain), a few levels of ranger for two-weapon feats, heck, even a few levels of paladin (IMC paladins can be any alignment - they are holy warriors. Plenty of evil gods).

Helps keep the players on their toes.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Matafuego said:
Most of them (I think all of them) advance by HD... Does it mean they can't get class levels?
Can a Balor be a Barbarian or a Kyton be a monk??
What do you think / what is allowed?

Well, you tell that devil/demon that he's not allowed to have class levels! :p

Basically, everything is allowed to have class levels (though there might be restrictions based on int - basically, everything with int 2 or less or without int might be left out. But even those might be allowed). In addition, many creatures can also just advance in their monster type.

rgard

Adventurer
robberbaron said:
It's my favourite way of spicing up an outside encounter.
A few levels of fighter for mastery of an exotic weapon (spiked chain), a few levels of ranger for two-weapon feats, heck, even a few levels of paladin (IMC paladins can be any alignment - they are holy warriors. Plenty of evil gods).

Helps keep the players on their toes.

They covered variant alignment paladins in UA. The spell lists change slightly as well some of the skills.

Thanks,
Rich

Garnfellow

Explorer
In general, any creature with a 3 or more Intelligence is eligible for taking class levels.

The aboleth is another example of a monster listed as advancing by HD but can also take class levels, as shown by the aboleth mage in the SRD.

Remove ads