• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I make the Whip work ?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jhaelen said:
MIC has several magical whips (in the specific weapons section) all of which do damage just like any other weapon.

Not quite - it has several magical whips (in the specific weapons section), two of which do damage just like any other weapon.

The Lash of Sands and the Water Whip deal lethal damage and can affect armored opponents. The Rod of Whips and the Whip of Webs do not carry the language that provides this exception; the Whip of Webs is just described as "this +1 whip", so it carries the normal whip restrictions, and the Rod of Whips "functions as a whip" and "acts as a +1 dancing whip", so likewise.

-Hyp.

Kat'

First Post
frankthedm said:
Nope. that line of "It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher." kills any plans for the whip other than tripping a foe with a whip and quickdrawing another weapon. :]

Sure, the whip wouldn't deal damage, but what about Arcane Channelling? The attack hits, so the spells are channeled, even if the WEAPON does not deal damage.

joshjurg

Explorer
KAt -

"If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally, then the the effect of the spell is resolved "

It may be a common interpretation that a hit is a successful melee attack, attack deals normal damage (usually 0) then the spell happens - cool.

I could this as a possibility of a semi-working whip wielder.

Kat'

First Post
joshjurg said:
KAt -

"If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally, then the the effect of the spell is resolved "

It may be a common interpretation that a hit is a successful melee attack, attack deals normal damage (usually 0) then the spell happens - cool.

I could this as a possibility of a semi-working whip wielder.

Works even better if you don't use a normal whip, but instead take a level of Pyromancer for the very nice Fire Lash class ability. All your attacks will deal fire damage and be touch attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads