• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can I meet the requirements for a PrC on the level I take it?

Tidus4444

First Post
For Exampla: I am a 5th level fighter with 4 of the 5 feats needed to become ootbi. At 6th level I get a new feat. Can I use this feat to take the required feat and take ootbi the same level?

Quidam

First Post
Nope

The first thing that happens when you level is choosing the class. If you don't qualify, then you can't proceed in levelling.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Quidam is incorrect.

If any one choice at a given level would qualify you for another choice at that same level, you're golden.

IOW, if upon advancing to 6th level, you need Feat X to get Class Y, but you meet all the other prerequisites -- you can take Feat X, then declare the level gained as a level of Class Y.

There is NO rule that says you have to follow a specific order, and while I can't find it ATM (I'm somewhat pressed for time), I know there is a rule in the PHB which has been cited here before, saying you CAN do as I've described above.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Quidam is incorrect.

I'm pretty sure he's not... you have to meet the prerequisites before you level.

If you're a 5th level Wizard with 15,000XP, you qualify to go up a level... but you don't have to. You could choose to spend some XP on item creation instead. You don't get the feat until you're a 6th level character... and you can't be a Wizard5/Undecided 1. You have to pick a class to level in, or you haven't levelled!

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
All the designers are in agreement that the "Level Advancement" ordering on PHB p. 145-146 is mandatory and not optional.

The first item on the list is "Choose Class". Hence, no other benefits (such as feats) are acquired in sequence to help satisfy class prerequisites. You'll have to wait another level for that.

Last edited:

hammymchamham

First Post
If I am a 5th level fighter and reach 15000 XP, I can not take a level of barbarian, why? Because I am of lawful alignment. I don't meet the requirements for the class

If I am a 4th level fighter and reach 10000xp, I can't take a level in Eye of Gruumsh. I don't meet the Base Attack Bonus requirement.

if I am a 6th level Druid, have great fortitude, reach 21000xp, but only have 3 ranks of swiw, I can't become an Ooze master, I don't meet the criteria of 4 ranks of swim, and can not take a level of the Ooze.

SamuraiY

First Post
I don't think this is really covered in the books. Isn't that chart for creating new characters, or am I thinking of something else? I would say that this is up to your DM.

hammymchamham

First Post
SamuraiY said:
I don't think this is really covered in the books. Isn't that chart for creating new characters, or am I thinking of something else? I would say that this is up to your DM.

dcollins said:
All the designers are in agreement that the "Level Advancement" ordering on PHB p. 145-146 is mandatory and not optional.

The first item on the list is "Choose Class". Hence, no other benefits (such as feats) are acquired in sequence to help satisfy class prerequisites. You'll have to wait another level for that.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Quidam is correct. The list is on page 145-146 of the
PHB. You can take a prestige class the level AFTER you qualify for it.

Last edited:

Remove ads