Can polymorph change you into ANY creature imaginable?

gooeylouie

First Post
As long as the new form is not an outsider, undead or construct, could you use Polymorph and Polymorph any object to change yourself or another creature into any creature even if that creature does not exist? For example, could you use the spell to create a jackalope, pikachu or octopus-human hybrid?

delericho

Legend
No.

For the simple reason that the mechanics of the game simply don't support it - a creature that doesn't exist has no hit dice, no Str/Dex/Con scores, no movement modes, and no extraordinary attacks. You can't polymorph into a non-existent creature because there's nothing to polymorph into.

(Of course, you could, in theory, stat up such a creature, run those stats by the DM, and then polymorph into the creature... but that would depend on your DM agreeing to admit such a creature into his game.)

Argyle King

Legend
As long as the new form is not an outsider, undead or construct, could you use Polymorph and Polymorph any object to change yourself or another creature into any creature even if that creature does not exist? For example, could you use the spell to create a jackalope, pikachu or octopus-human hybrid?

No (as said above)

I do believe there is a Prestige Class which is built around the idea of mixing forms though.

No (as said above)

I do believe there is a Prestige Class which is built around the idea of mixing forms though.

I'm not so sure about mixing forms, but switching quickly between different ones can be achieved through at least two PrCs: The Master of Many Forms from Complete Adventurer and the Warshaper from Complete Warrior.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not so sure about mixing forms, but switching quickly between different ones can be achieved through at least two PrCs: The Master of Many Forms from Complete Adventurer and the Warshaper from Complete Warrior.

Without digging out the old books, I seem to recall a PrC which allowed you to pick 'favored forms.' Then, at a certain level, you could mix and match features from your favored forms. For example, you might shift into a bullete with a blue dragon's breath weapon if those two creatures were among your favored forms.

Greenfield

Adventurer
My own version of "The Truth" on this one is a definitive "Yes, and No".

If you're the DM you can create any monster or creature you like, with or without Polymorph spells.

If you're a player, your character can Polymorph into anything the DM will allow in their game.

I've had people want to turn into "Winged Folk" (an early edition of Avariel Elf), in a game world where they didn't exist. The race had been documented in a Dragon article, and is currently in the Faerun source books. But my game wasn't set in Faerun or whatever world that Dragon proposed for such a race, so I said no. DM's prerogative.

Whatever you want to Polymorph into has to be approved by the DM. You can generally presume that anything found in that DM's game world is fair game, but even that can be vetoed. If you want some new race/creature, or something from a different setting you need to work it out with the DM to determine what's allowable and what isn't.

By the RAW there is no actual limit, beyond hit dice and restrictions like Outsider.

MarkB

Legend

No, because it would be ridiculously abusable. You could simply say "I want to change into a fantastic creature that's humanoid like me, but has wings, 20 points of natural armour, a breath weapon like a blast furnace, and can go ethereal at will", and Polymorph has no built-in dials to prevent any of that.

Remove ads