• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Prone Ally be shifted?

keterys

First Post
Prone has generally meant 'A couple melee people have combat advantage, a couple ranged people have a penalty... until the creature's action, when it stands and either attacks or charges' in all my sessions so far.

It's _really_ tame in 4th.

yu gnomi

Explorer
Do prone enemies stand up if they are shifted?

Imagine this scenario:
Wizard uses Icy Terrain on nearby foes. (He also has Lasting Frost feat)
His Fighter buddy (with a Frost weapon) then uses Come and Get It on the same round.

Regarding any of the foes who were struck and knocked prone, and who have not taken a turn before the Fighter: Do they stand up before they shift? or do they "Come and Get it" on hands and knees?

Danceofmasks

First Post
But .. that scenario is unimaginable!
Ahem..

On a serious note, come and get it says they must shift if possible.
Doesn't allow them to stand, and if they can't shift 2 to be adjacent for whatever reason (obstacles, stunned, difficult terrain), then they don't.

yu gnomi

Explorer
forced movement ignores difficult terrain

So the rule on forced movement ignoring difficult terrain wouldn't apply?

Oops, re-read your post and now think I understand better what you are saying.
That seems sensible, if a bit unfortunate for the victims of this combo.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I'm not sure that anyone at WotC cares about the rules we suggest here but I'm sure you lovely folks do. If you rule that whilst prone, all terrain is difficult terrain, then you can't shift unless you are an Elf (which represents them rolling gracefully out of the way) and you move at half speed by default. You can be pushed, pulled and slid as normal - in the case of forceful powers you are essentially thrown back and in the case of 'trick' powers then you almost get to your feet, are thrown off balance again and find yourself prone in another square. I guess there's a bit of a disconnection for Fighter powers that pull you towards them, but I'm sure someone can come up with something for that.

yu gnomi

Explorer
I don't understand why all terrain would be difficult while prone.

PHB pg 288 has rules for crawling, and they don't say anything about that. I was simply wondering if enemy monsters would take minimal steps to preserve their dignity, like standing up, or if they would crawl towards their enemy.

Unless I misunderstand what people have said, the foes in question (under the influence of 'Come and Get it') would crawl to the fighter, unless obstacles, people, or difficult terrain made the path impossible.

keterys

First Post
If it's possible to shift while crawling. If it's not possible to shift while crawling then they can't at all.

If it costs double movement, then they shift at most 1 square (which may be enough).

Some day. Some day we'll have rules for prone. Really.

gnfnrf

First Post
Come And Get It doesn't push, pull, or slide; it is not forced movement.

Rather, it causes the opponent to execute a shift.

So, what you're saying is that it's not forced movement, it just forces them to move?

--
gnfnrf

EDIT: grammar monkey wouldn't stop howling

Last edited:

Remove ads