• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can sheathe the sword, cast one spell, and drow the sword WITH Interacting with Objects Around You ?

An arcane trickster, using a SHIELD (he have the feat), and a sword, can sheathe the sword, cast one spell, and drow the sword WITH Interacting with Objects Around You (free action)?

By RAW, yes. You can interact with one object. A sword is an object.

At my table I'd even let you actually do it. Some DMs will not, but I would, because it seems to me within the spirit of the rules. It does mean that you have to choose in advance whether you're going to be Shielding or threatening opportunity attacks, and you can't use an arcane focus without dropping your sword outright.

Galendril

Explorer
I consider the chance of the character being both a thief and an arcane trickster at the same time to be rather unlikely.

You got me, Merric! I just read the title of the thread without re-reading the entire thing. I play a thief with a dragon mark and was thinking from that perspective.

See war caster feat.
W a r C a s t e r
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting spells in the midst of
combat, learning techniques that grant you the
following benefits:
• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws
that you make to maintain your concentration on a
spell when you take damage.
• You can perform the somatic components o f spells
even when you have weapons or a shield in one or
both hands.
• When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an
opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction
to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making
an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting
time o f 1 action and must target only that creature.

This is what you are wanting.

Conclusion: You can do what you want in a single turn, but it involves dropping your weapon and picking it up rather than sheathing and drawing it. (This might be a problem if you are dangling from a rope.) Alternatively, you could ask your DM if he would let you refluff the drop and pick-up scenario as holding onto it with your shield hand while you cast your spell. I allow that because I think constantly dropping your weapon looks stupid, and it comes out to the same mechanical effect (not counting the rope dangling, of course).

Or you can take a feat.

slaughterj

Explorer
ConcluAlternatively, you could ask your DM if he would let you refluff the drop and pick-up scenario as holding onto it with your shield hand while you cast your spell. I allow that because I think constantly dropping your weapon looks stupid, and it comes out to the same mechanical effect (not counting the rope dangling, of course).

Exactly, that's how I run it. Otherwise it just looks ridiculous.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads