• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can sheathe the sword, cast one spell, and drow the sword WITH Interacting with Objects Around You ?

maritimo80

First Post
An arcane trickster, using a SHIELD (he have the feat), and a sword, can sheathe the sword, cast one spell, and drow the sword WITH Interacting with Objects Around You (free action)?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Here's how I'd rule it:

First turn: You sheathe your sword (object interaction) and cast a spell (action).

Next turn: You draw your sword (object interaction) and attack with it (action).

During the time in between, you don't have your sword out (so you can't make opportunity attacks or whatever).

If you were a Thief, I'd let you re-draw it on the same turn with Fast Hands. But then I guess you wouldn't be casting a spell...

MG.0

First Post
Here's how I'd rule it:

First turn: You sheathe your sword (object interaction) and cast a spell (action).

Next turn: You draw your sword (object interaction) and attack with it (action).

During the time in between, you don't have your sword out (so you can't make opportunity attacks or whatever).

This exact scenario happens quite often in my games.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As a side note, what's in the thief's other hand? You don't need two hands free to cast, just one (PHB pg 203 under somatic components).

Galendril

Explorer
Another side note: you can make an opportunity attack with your fist for 1 hp if they want. Or, I'd allow an attack with the shield as an improvised weapon.

Actually rereading the rules on opportunity attacks it says "You can use your reaction to do one melee attack". It doesn't even specify that it needs to be a melee weapon attack, so you could probably even do a melee magic attack. Or unarmed strike as stated above.

can't a rogue use his bonus action to interact with an object?

starting situation: Rogue with sword and shield

(free interaction) sheate sword
(action) cast a spell
(bonus action) un-sheate sword
(move action) make a little dance?

can't a rogue use his bonus action to interact with an object?

starting situation: Rogue with sword and shield

(free interaction) sheate sword
(action) cast a spell
(bonus action) un-sheate sword
(move action) make a little dance?
Only the thief archetype can do that.

Also, in most situations you're usually better off using your bonus action for hide/disengage/dash.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You could:

Drop sword (no action)
Cast Spell (action)
Pick up sword (free object interaction)

Of course, that might not be the best choice in many situations.

Remove ads