WotC Can we salvage Toril?

I know he worked on projects like Borderlands, but none of that is what I'm talking about, I'm talking about parts of Toril that are basically a copy/paste of real world history, like Maztica.
While this is literally the origin of several FR cultures, nowadays making fantasy cultures that are just a copy paste of real-world cultures is not well regarded.

They didn’t even make it easy for themselves! Frex, in their haste to undo all the 4e changes, they got rid of the orcish Kingdom of Many-Arrows. If only they’d kept it on the map, they could now be using it as a means to introduce non-evil orcs into the Realms without having to retcon the entire race.

Oh the Orcs are still there, just further back as is their King, they can bring Many Arrows back any time.

And Many Arrows isn't the only ones, they could bring back the peaceful Orc tribes who worshipped Eldath from previous editions, and the Orcs of Zakhara who follow the same religion as the rest of Zakhara, and maybe tribes absorded into the Zhents, and Orcish minorities in various cities that were the by product of Orc war heroes that fought the Tuigan Hordes protecting Faerun, and the Orcs that are freed slaves in some cities, and the Ultra Religious Grey Orcs who came from a world ruled by Orcs with magic powerful enough to summon Avatars of their Gods, and Scro Spelljamming Crews that got stranded on Toril, and the Orcs civilizations they make up whole cloth.

Greggy C

Hero
While this is literally the origin of several FR cultures, nowadays making fantasy cultures that are just a copy paste of real-world cultures is not well regarded.
Right, thats the point of the thread. They can't really continue to work on those cultures anymore, so what do with them on the map.

Stormonu

Legend
Right, thats the point of the thread. They can't really continue to work on those cultures anymore, so what do with them on the map.
They can, they’ll just need fresh and respectful takes on them if they do. A recent well-done (IMHO) DM’s guild product tackled Zakhara, for example.

However, as I’ve said before, I would prefer if they move Maztica and the like off of Faerun.

It is my hope that they'll rethink everything with 6th edition and... reboot every setting.
Personally, I feel they could solve lots of their problems by placing all the new 6e books in a brand-new setting. A mix of the new, a touch of the old, a pinch of the bizarre. Then, they can do APs in each setting, with an attached setting guide. Do Shadowfell, Mystara, Forgotten Realms, etc. All this, plus, APs that explore their new world - the default setting.

bennet

Explorer
Personally, I feel they could solve lots of their problems by placing all the new 6e books in a brand-new setting. A mix of the new, a touch of the old, a pinch of the bizarre. Then, they can do APs in each setting, with an attached setting guide. Do Shadowfell, Mystara, Forgotten Realms, etc. All this, plus, APs that explore their new world - the default setting.
They plan to remove combat in 6e, not sure I will be playing that edition.

Here is the thing. Someone did redo Matztica in a sensitive way here:

But even with that, first comment is

View attachment 149920

basically you will never succeed unless the region is razed and rebuilt. And for that we need a F.R. task force to work with Ed Greenwood under permission from WOTC.

Or just ignore people like that poster, it's 1 person, it's not representive of the fandom, the downloads dwarf the critisms for that product by a massive margin and that product isn't even official or canon, it's just fan fiction. Too much time on social media gives a distorted perspective of the public. It has 65 reviews and is still at 5 stars.

PS I just decided to download it after reading the glowing recommendations in the reviews.

I'll admit being the default setting finally, for first time with 5e, seems to have no real benifit for the Forgottens Realms. Defauft settings seem cursed.

FR only has the SCAG and a bunch of deeply flawed adventure books. It's lost almost all of it's novel line with was the heart and soul of the setting. It got more and better hard cover books, when it wasn't the default setting. Go back to properly supporting FR and make Exandria the default setting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases