Can WotC be forgiven?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well, we don't have ORC yet; it's just a plan, not a license. It's going to be months before ORC is actually ironed out.
Oh, of course. I didn’t mean they should (or could) announce any such intentions this early
And even if WotC were to re-release their SRDs under ORC, that doesn't re-license all the 3PP released under the OGL over the last 23 years.
For sure. I just think it would be a sign that they’re getting on the open RPG train (which, realistically I don’t see happening anyway so it’s all pie in the sky anyway)
A thoroughly-solid OGL 1.0b (guarantees non-revocation, non-deauthorization, and non-withdrawal-of-offer) is, right now, still a better way forward.
I mean, it’s what they’ll have to do in the immediate term if they want to salvage as much good will as they can. I just don’t know as it will be enough now.

Shiroiken

Legend
WotC is a company; they technically don't deserve praise or forgiveness. The management team running things are the ones who deserve credit/blame (in this case blame), and they seldom receive forgiveness. They've shown their motivation, short term gain over long term sustainability, and are unlikely to be forgiven. At least one high level executive is gonna have to fall on the sword for this, and even then it may not be enough (my group wants everyone in upper management fired).

Personally I don't care about the individuals involved. I want the situation corrected, with the company revealing they understand why they received this response. I'd really like them to add the understanding of the OGL being "non-revokable" by future management, although realistically this isn't necessary, as no future manager would try to repeat this disaster.

Part of their "lifestyle brand" strategy has seemingly been to talk about dnd as a "community." To this end they've used influencers to introduce products and do actual plays at their dnd live events (or whatever they're called). We'll see how it shakes out, but I don't know that they can credibly say they "care about the community," even if it is the more sympathetic designer figures to say it. And they've seemingly upset all the influencers and youtubers as well. Further, even if they go back to OGL 1.0, anyone who wants to kickstart an OGL product is going to think twice, at least.

That said, a lot of people will continuing buying wotc products if they are quality products. But I wonder if management is underestimating the fact that the core product needs to be viable, and that it's not just anything with the dnd logo on it that will sell.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've given it some thought, and I still don't care about the OGL debacle. At least not directly. I understand why other people weren't happy about it, and I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't be unhappy about it. But what I'm more bothered by is the idea that WotC views us, their customers, as an obstacle between the company and their money. I haven't always liked the direction 5E has gone, but I've always felt that WotC genuinely wanted to provide us with a good product for a fair price. But now I'm an obstacle. I'm just a resource for them to mine any way they can. A lot of you have talked about the walled garden, but it's not a garden, it's a pen. At this point in time, I'm no longer interested in D&D products at all. I don't think I'll even pick up miniatures with the D&D logo on it.
To be fair, this is almost certainly the decision making of like 5 people, at least two of whom used to work for microsoft.

Since the letter doesn't specify who they mean by "leadership", I'm not going to assume the worst and decide that Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins view me as an obstacle.

But...yeah, every publicly traded company, on some level, views you and I and everyone else as semi-inert bodies from which profit can be milked. It's baked into the economic model we all live under. The system values individuals and communities based directly, and exclusively, on what they can produce for the people at the top of the system.

We are not, excepting doing business with owner-operated small locals, the customer. We are either the product or the machine that makes the product.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If you bought a 5E product, then I presume you already forgave WotC for the 4E GSL. Why not do it again?
Different situation. The 4e OGL wasn't remotely unethical, to be frank. It was a bummer. The end.

Like, even with what people call the poison pill, it was just a bad license that you could just...not interact with. You could still make system neutral products for dnd, and OGL based products.

TBH if WoTC had come out immediately and said, "hey folks chill out you can still make OGL stuff under OGL 1.0a, you just can't use both licenses in the same product line" or even "you just can't use both. Once you agree to OGL 1.1, part of that agreement is agreeing not to use OGL 1.0a ever again.", I wouldn't even care about this whole debacle.

"Realizing 1.1 landed with a massive thud, suppose WotC announces that 1.1 is no longer a thing and 1.0a will remain for the indefinite future. They also say they are sorry. Really sorry. Really, really sorry. What would it take for them to be forgiven? Is there any going back at this point?
There are some that don't care. There are some that no matter what they do will be back for 1D&D, and there are some that no matter what they do will never pay WotC directly again.

For me, if they extended the time to wind down so the other companies could keep going for the next year retoool while putting stuff out and not layoff hundreds... I would be happier.

Remove ads