• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can YOU Balance this Magic Item??

Stalker0

Legend
I gave thoughts earlier but thought it would be easiest to just turn the thoughts into a formal proposal so you can see how it looks.

Blade of Ek Alron

This +1 Greatsword is exceptionally large, possessing a reach of 10. Once attuned, as an action, the blade can be called to the wielder's hands from anywhere on the same plane.

Also as an action, the sword can be thrust into the ground, causing an eruption. Make a single attack roll. Every creature within a 15 foot cone that would be hit by this attack are knocked prone.

3/day, as an action, the blade can change into a sword of light, allowing it to cut through enemies with ease. Make a single attack and damage roll, ignoring crits. All enemies within 10 feet of you that are hit by the attack take damage.

This is the most powerful ability by far, IMO. It's basically an Immovable Rod. Anybody who has read the Thor comics will have a number of ideas for abusing this. It also raises questions like if the weilder can be lifted.

Every other ability is just "this deals a lot of damage" and is another example of players trying to backdoor Monkey Grip. That makes me sigh internally, but okay.

I guess I don't see why it's Heavy if it's not Two-handed. A de facto weapon rule is that all Heavy weapons are Two-handed. Conceptually I kinda struggle with ignoring that. Like, Sun Blade is a longsword with the Finesse property because it's a lightsaber. Why isn't this a Greatsword with Versatile and Reach but losing Two-handed and Heavy? Or a Greatsword that lets an attuned creature choose to either have it both Two-handed and Heavy or choose to have it Versatile.

Otherwise it's probably a Legendary item.
BeCauSe CoOl

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
600 lbs for a weapon that's 2-3x the size of a normal greatsword seems comically heavy. What's it made of that makes it so heavy? Is that really important to its schtick considering the weight of a sword 3x the size would be about 160 lbs and would be functionally unwieldable by anyone of normal size anyway?
12 charges seem like a lot considering the uses don't seem to me like they'd come up particularly often. Cutting down to 7 charges might produce situations in which the character may have to make more choices about when to use the special abilities. Right now, he can probably use them as much as he wants because the situations don't seem like to come up that often.

Here is the finished product after consulting the dm. He likes to add stuff to his homebrew items. Essentially, he replaced the AoE with Thunderwave.

>>Horus Heresy Tungsten Blade<<
Description:
A giant blade of tungsten forged by the Chaos Emperor of giants long forgotten.

This +1 Greatsword is exceptionally large, possessing a reach of 10. Because of it's weight and size, if you are not attuned to this weapon you can not wield it. When attuned, it is no heavier or harder to wield than a standard Greatsword to you. To attune to this sword, you must spend a Long rest sacrificing a magic item to the weapon, which the weapon absorbs.

When attuned, it fits in any sheath , although, its handle stays the same size (ridiculously big) regardless the size of its home.

The sword has the following powers: Gets 1d4+1 charges per day which they may use for its abilities. Additionally you may sacrifice a non-magical weapon and add it's damage dice to the amount of charges rounded down (maximum charges it can hold is 8 charges per day)

The weapon recharges by itself at the beginning of each sunrise resetting the charges it may have been holding.
Summon: 1 charge
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can't be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.

Crashing Earth Blow: 2 Charges
Smashing your sword down in front of you creates such an explosion of earth shaking force that anyone caught within a 15 foot cone of the wielder must make a dex save vs DC 8+proficiency+Strength or be knocked prone.

The Shaking Blow: 4 charges Casts 1st level Thunderwave using the Constitution DC vs. 8+proficiency+str
The Crashing Blow: 6 charges Casts 2nd level Thunderwave using the Constitution DC vs. 8+proficiency+str
The Breaking Blow: 8 charges Casts 3rd level Thunderwave using the Constitution DC vs. 8+proficiency+str

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
This is an Anvil

95340-vCpnfB.jpg

This particular anvil has a 12 inch face (the shiny surface), and an 8 and a half inch Horn (The protrusion on the right side).

This anvil weighs 275lbs.

If you were to make a "Greatsword" out of it with a thickness of about 1 inch in the center and a 30 degree slope reaching to the edges, that greatsword would be about 30 feet long, from tang to tip. If you held it out perfectly flat at arm's length (Assuming you had that kind of superhuman upper body strength) the tip would be on the ground because the length of it would make it bend under it's own weight.

A 600lbs sword that is only 10ft long is not a sword.

It is a steel girder.

This is the "Real World" Buster Sword.

Look at the size of that SLAB. Also the sword is pretty nice.

See that wall of meat with sunglasses "Swinging" the sword? He's mostly just lifting it upright and trying to guide the way it falls. And he's huffing and puffing like no one's business! By the end of the -short- video he's red from the waist up for the effort.

That thing weighs 54lbs. Less than 1/10th of the weight you're looking at for this magic item. Granted, it's only about half as long. So double it. It's still less than 1/5th the weight you're looking for. So increase it's thickness or it's profile by 5 times.

At that point you're not swinging a sword. You're swinging a paddle.

Which is to say: I couldn't hope to balance it. I couldn't hold it up if you lowered it into my arms from a crane. Much -less- balance it.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Here is the finished product after consulting the dm. He likes to add stuff to his homebrew items. Essentially, he replaced the AoE with Thunderwave.

>>Horus Heresy Tungsten Blade<<
Description:
A giant blade of tungsten forged by the Chaos Emperor of giants long forgotten.

This +1 Greatsword is exceptionally large, possessing a reach of 10. Because of it's weight and size, if you are not attuned to this weapon you can not wield it. When attuned, it is no heavier or harder to wield than a standard Greatsword to you. To attune to this sword, you must spend a Long rest sacrificing a magic item to the weapon, which the weapon absorbs.

When attuned, it fits in any sheath , although, its handle stays the same size (ridiculously big) regardless the size of its home.

The sword has the following powers: Gets 1d4+1 charges per day which they may use for its abilities. Additionally you may sacrifice a non-magical weapon and add it's damage dice to the amount of charges rounded down (maximum charges it can hold is 8 charges per day)

The weapon recharges by itself at the beginning of each sunrise resetting the charges it may have been holding.
Summon: 1 charge
Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can't be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.

Crashing Earth Blow: 2 Charges
Smashing your sword down in front of you creates such an explosion of earth shaking force that anyone caught within a 15 foot cone of the wielder must make a dex save vs DC 8+proficiency+Strength or be knocked prone.

The Shaking Blow: 4 charges Casts 1st level Thunderwave using the Constitution DC vs. 8+proficiency+str
The Crashing Blow: 6 charges Casts 2nd level Thunderwave using the Constitution DC vs. 8+proficiency+str
The Breaking Blow: 8 charges Casts 3rd level Thunderwave using the Constitution DC vs. 8+proficiency+str
Seems like reasonable mechanics. I personally think the charge costs are a bit steep, but its a +1 sword with reach that every blue moon you pull out an area attack when circumstances are just right. A perfectly fine magic item. I would never ever ever sacrifice a magic item to restore the charges, but as an initial cost for the attunement, if magic weapons are rare in the campaign I'd do it.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
This is an Anvil

95340-vCpnfB.jpg

This particular anvil has a 12 inch face (the shiny surface), and an 8 and a half inch Horn (The protrusion on the right side).

This anvil weighs 275lbs.

If you were to make a "Greatsword" out of it with a thickness of about 1 inch in the center and a 30 degree slope reaching to the edges, that greatsword would be about 30 feet long, from tang to tip. If you held it out perfectly flat at arm's length (Assuming you had that kind of superhuman upper body strength) the tip would be on the ground because the length of it would make it bend under it's own weight.

A 600lbs sword that is only 10ft long is not a sword.

It is a steel girder.

This is the "Real World" Buster Sword.

Look at the size of that SLAB. Also the sword is pretty nice.

See that wall of meat with sunglasses "Swinging" the sword? He's mostly just lifting it upright and trying to guide the way it falls. And he's huffing and puffing like no one's business! By the end of the -short- video he's red from the waist up for the effort.

That thing weighs 54lbs. Less than 1/10th of the weight you're looking at for this magic item. Granted, it's only about half as long. So double it. It's still less than 1/5th the weight you're looking for. So increase it's thickness or it's profile by 5 times.

At that point you're not swinging a sword. You're swinging a paddle.

Which is to say: I couldn't hope to balance it. I couldn't hold it up if you lowered it into my arms from a crane. Much -less- balance it.

Well, duh, he can't lift it. Obviously, he didn't sacrifice a magical weapon and attune to it. It's like you haven't even been reading the posts. 🤪

Remove ads