• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can you create YOUR character with basic D&D?

Can you make your character with basic D&D?

• YEP!

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Not yet, need the PHB.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • Kind of....but not perfectly.

Votes: 15 17.2%

Pickles JG

First Post
I did not tick the poll as it rather depends & my favourite live character gets an answer that is not even on the list - not a prayer mate.

My taste is for moderately complex characters so I never found fighters pre 4e much fun. As everything in 4e pre essentials is moderately complex I rather enjoy it.

My current lazy human warlord is completely out & I fear will probably never return.

My brand new psion is not currently available but may be - could approximate him with a wizard or sorcerer maybe. I don't know yet.

I have a number of technically live LFR characters. I don't think I could make a fighter who was as interesting to play as a tank like my highest level 4e character but I would be willing to try. This is bound to improve with the PHB but I maybe not enough.to hold my attention.

My status effect applying rogue is doomed - I might be able to rebuild him as a fighter rogue as his schtick was more knives (& cooking) than roguish skills. In fact he sounds fun as a duellist with a frying pan & carving knife, background Chef. This sounds fun I will try to play him this weekend.

Eladrin Warlord is doomed as neither of his fun suites of abilities are going to exist. (Martial buffs & teleporting elves).

I have a Pathfinder Inquisitor & witch both of whom I could make in 5e I think as they are really subclasses or obvious MCs.

I have a 4e warforged Barbarian who was a hoot to RP & tedious to play, which I expect would be the same in 5e.

I like bards as hybrids in theory but I have never got one to work particularluy well. The full caster may work better & may suit multiclassing into a martial class to make the hybrid. This is what I am looking forward to tinkering with the most.

No, because I'm waiting for the ranger, bard, and druid classes.

But we can create a great "iconic" party:

Tordek, Hill Dwarf Fighter (Soldier)
Jozan, Human Cleric (Acolyte)
Mialee, High Elf Wizard (Sage)
Lidda, Halfling Rogue (Criminal)

As well as a great anti-hero party:

Addil, Halfling Fighter (Sage)
Eeliam, Wood Elf Cleric (Criminal)
Kedort, Mountain Dwarf Wizard (Soldier)
Nazoj, Human Rogue (Folk Hero)

In fact, we have 4 x 4 x 5 = 80 character combos just from the basic race, class, and background choices.

dream66_

First Post
When I think "My character" I think psion... so no even with the PHB I won't be able to. Fall back tends to be a druid, so still not yet.

Wolfskin

Explorer
The first character I wanted to roll for 5e was a Champion Fighter, so yes. I would like to see the feats for advancement, though!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
In fact, we have 4 x 4 x 5 = 80 character combos just from the basic race, class, and background choices.

Obviously not all those are viable.

BUT, I am surprised at the range you really can make. You could make a series of human fighter soldiers, all pretty distinct from one another. With just the one domain, and one tradition, you can still do a wide range of spell casters (at least in terms of what they cast in practice). A few very different rogues.

In fact now basic seems like almost enough.

Not quite, but almost.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Just a question, how many people like "classic" tropes and those who like other more unique characters.

For me personally? I DM most of the time, but whenever I am a character it's usually High Elf Wizard or Paladin. I'm pretty happy I can make that character with just basic D&D. What about you?

I suppose that I have two answers to this question.

1) I am currently unable to recreate my favorite character. I had to get a little bit of houseruling done to create her in prior editions, but the tiefling race provided part of the necessary base, and the Leadership feat formed the framework for the cult that she founded. At the minimum, I'll need the tiefling race and the rules for maintaining a temple or stronghold. I will still have to houserule the powers acquired by fiendish rituals and trading in human souls, but I sort of expected to have to do that again.

2) While I cannot recreate my favorite character, I am capable of creating a capable character that I think is fun to play.

Remove ads