• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you do inifinite damage?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There is a combination that can do infinite damage in a single hit: exploding damage dice from Aura of Chaos (Bo9S) plus a feat (Dragonmarked I think?) that lets you deal max damage on a hit.
-blarg

Slife

First Post
blargney the second said:
There is a combination that can do infinite damage in a single hit: exploding damage dice from Aura of Chaos (Bo9S) plus a feat (Dragonmarked I think?) that lets you deal max damage on a hit.
-blarg
It's some sort of healing ability that makes you treat all 1s rolled in a round as 2s. You then attack with a weapon that deals d2 damage.

Ipissimus

First Post
Sounds like this kid was at the 'my game is better than your game' stage. I had a similar conversation one day that went a little like this:

(We'd established that we both played DnD, which was a cinch since I was reading the BoVD while having coffee at the store)

Kid: What character do you play?
Me: Usually, I DM. But I played a Paladin for a long time and I've got a Mystic Theurge in another campaign.
Kid: What level?
Me: The Paladin's 20th, my Mystic Theurge's 9th.
Kid: I play a 30th level Necromancer and it's really cool 'cause I've turned the rest of my party into Vampires. And I created a spell that kills Ancient Red Dragons in one hit.
Me: -containing myself admirably- What level did you start at?
Kid: -looks up to his left- 1st.
Me: And how long did that take you?
Kid: Three weeks.
Me: You're fibbing, aren't you?
Kid: -squirms, looking guilty, then walks away-

Tolen Mar

First Post
Ipissimus said:
Sounds like this kid was at the 'my game is better than your game' stage. I had a similar conversation one day that went a little like this:

(We'd established that we both played DnD, which was a cinch since I was reading the BoVD while having coffee at the store)

Kid: What character do you play?
Me: Usually, I DM. But I played a Paladin for a long time and I've got a Mystic Theurge in another campaign.
Kid: What level?
Me: The Paladin's 20th, my Mystic Theurge's 9th.
Kid: I play a 30th level Necromancer and it's really cool 'cause I've turned the rest of my party into Vampires. And I created a spell that kills Ancient Red Dragons in one hit.
Me: -containing myself admirably- What level did you start at?
Kid: -looks up to his left- 1st.
Me: And how long did that take you?
Kid: Three weeks.
Me: You're fibbing, aren't you?
Kid: -squirms, looking guilty, then walks away-

Thank goodness this doesn't happen much in my neck of the woods. This is the kind of thing we instituted the 'meet and greet' rule for.

If you want to join my group, wait until I advertise. Then we have to meet somewhere neutral and get a feel for who you are. If our initial impressions are that you are just a rabid fanboy looking for a campaign to destroy, or otherwise some other (more ordinary) kind of jerk, you won't be invited over.

One advantage to being the geezer...you've learned a few things.

Ipissimus

First Post
-chuckles- Kid was way too young anyway. My group prefers R18+ to Vile games.

But yeah, I agree, I see this sort of thing alot and testing out new players is a must. I think part of the hurdle for some people is that most of their experience with games is winning and losing, the idea of a game where people co-operate so that they all win is fairly alien to them. And they tend to like bragging, sooooo...

I don't mind a bit of powergaming, it's to be expected that players want to be happy with their characters and part of that is playing effective characters. But, damn, you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

-sighs- then, at the other end of the scale, you get the ones who go a bit silly. Had one guy who wanted to use his snake familiar as a whip... or the guy who wanted to describe his character going to the toilet, he was kicked out with short shift, believe me.

s.j. bagley

First Post
when i was gainlessly employed at a gaming store, i would hear all sorts of folks bragging about their games from the 15 year kid that swore up and down that he rolled natural 18s for every stat... for every character he ever played to a 'charming' fellow with some rather nazi-like viewpoints who would rant incessantly to anyone nearby about how his game was the coolest game ever because his party went and killed all the gods by level six, exterminated all the elves in the multiverse by level 8, and blew up all the planets by level 10.
i did once play a game with a dm that stated, during character creation, 'oh, just give your character whatever stats you want and whatever magic items you want.'
sadly, the game turned out to be nowhere near as fun as it might seem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads