D&D 5E Can you Dodge and Attack on the same turn?

Wolfskin

Explorer
Some class features (such as Monk's Patient Defense) or situations (such as being mounted) can allow for a character to take a Dodge action without using his actual action for the turn. That way, a Monk could use a bonus action so that all attacks against him have disadvantage until his next turn, and attack anyway. Or a mounted Halfling Fighter could command Fido to dodge for him and still multi-attack as normal.

What do you say? Is my reading of the rules correct?

Rocksome

Explorer
Yes, that's correct.

In fact that's the whole intent of Patient Defence, to be able to dodge and attack in the same. Can also be used with Action Surge. I'm not certain about the specific case of a mounted combatant however. It's been a while since I looked at the mounted combat rules.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, and I'd have a hard time believing that your own attacks wouldn't be affected by Fido bobbing and weaving his little tail off...
It's listed as one of the three actions you can direct a controlled mount to perform (Dash, Disengage, or Dodge), so I'd say it shouldn't cause you any penalty.

But I'd also agree that it should only benefit your mount, not you. Likewise, if you order your mount to Disengage, it doesn't provoke OAs for moving, but you still might; both you and your mount must Disengage in order to safely break contact with the enemy.

Paraxis

Explorer
Dausuul;6541255 Likewise said:
it[/i] doesn't provoke OAs for moving, but you still might; both you and your mount must Disengage in order to safely break contact with the enemy.

If the mount provokes an AoO the attacker may target you or the mount, that is the last line under mounted combat. So if you want to not get hit or have your mount not get hit when leaving reach your mount needs to take the disengage action.

But you don't provoke an AoO unless you use your movement.
-"You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction."

Your mount is the something that moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.

That is why I believe the rule about creatures being able to target the rider or mount if the mount provokes an AoO exists in the first place.

Rocksome

Explorer
Yeah, and I'd have a hard time believing that your own attacks wouldn't be affected by Fido bobbing and weaving his little tail off...

I agree, and I'd almost be tempted to argue that attacks against you had advantage if your mount was throwing you around in the saddle by bouncing all over the place.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I agree, and I'd almost be tempted to argue that attacks against you had advantage if your mount was throwing you around in the saddle by bouncing all over the place.

Feats are expensive. Don't nickle and dime them away to nothing. And definitely don't turn them into a disadvantage because you prefer heavy simulation in your fantasy magic and elves.

Seriously, 3.5 is a great system with abundant feats and heavy simulation. If that's the type of game you want to run, it's probably a great match for your DMing style.

5e is a more lightweight game with less rules emphasis on realism in order to make a quicker and more cinematic game. Feats are rarer and are according to the designers are supposed to be a big bonus to someone doing something the feat focuses on.

If you have mounted combat, I'd rule if you make the mount Dash, you move with it. If you make the mount Disengage you disengage with it. If you make your mount dodge, you dodge with it.

You're spending a feat on something that inherently will only work part of the time. In that tavern brawl? Useless feat. Splunking in caves, or exploring a ruined temple? Also likely useless. So the times it can work, it should work well.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
If you have mounted combat, I'd rule if you make the mount Dash, you move with it. If you make the mount Disengage you disengage with it. If you make your mount dodge, you dodge with it.

I would not rule it quite that way.
Yes, dash means you ride the mount farther. However, opportunity attacks simply do not apply to creatures riding other creatures, disengage indirectly benefits the rider as the mount won't provoke attacks. Finally, I find that anything that makes the mount a more attractive attack option is worse for the player who has a mount, as it causes their mount to die faster and more often. Dodge should only work for the mount as it draws fire back to the PC, who typically has a better ability to absorb blows.

Remove ads