Can you name a good fantasy TTRPG that's not D&D?

Aldarc

Legend
Wacky. I clicked to talk about SotS. Its fantastic and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about recommending it. Probably my favorite Char Gen, and the setting and rules are enormously awesome. I don't gush much, but I'll gush about SotS.
The whole magic as corruption, whether external or internal, is my biggest hang-up that prevents me from jumping on board the SotS hype train. That body horror/corruption aspect is also triggering for a few of my occasional players while the mental/psychological corruption is also triggering for a few. Are there alternative magic systems in place?

Edit: I will also expand this question for @Piratecat or @Yoh-01 should they see it.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I Bury The Gods looks pretty neat for a minimalist dark fantasy system.

You are a criminal whose body has been used to cage an ancestral spirit. You were intended to be killed, vanquishing the spirit. But all of the Empire's loyal subjects capable of fighting were called back to the capital to protect it from some great catastrophe. In the confusion, you were set free. Now the spirit caged within your body drives you to reclaim its homeland and rebuild its places of sacred power.

It uses a simple dice pool system, combat is pretty lethal, spell casting is automatic (you only roll to see if the outcome favors you or hinders you), and there are a lot of fun random tables (a place name generator and a monster generator, for starters).

Remove ads