Can you suggest a RPG system.

MortonStromgal

First Post
I understand your problem with the Savage Worlds dice mechanic. You're taking a simulationist view of it, and Savage Worlds has a different philosophy. Savage Worlds prefers speed and simplicity over simulation.

The die mechanic is designed so that you can quickly roll the die and see if you succeeded, usually without any math, and the exploding dice makes every roll potentially exciting.

As for your arm-wrestling example, any sensible GM would just say that the person with the higher strength die wins. There really is no element of chance in arm wrestling.

That said, you HAVE to play it to understand it. Even reading the book isn't enough because it's just that different.

Uhhh no, I have played it several times. Ubiquity is fast (at leased with custom dice). Having a fixed TN of 4 drives me batty! Why because the math applies to your roll! Ok I roll my d6 and get a 5 sweet oh wait no I'm at a - 3 penalty so uhh 5-3 is 2 thats not 4 so I miss. Like I said its the game I want to love but everytime I play it, the mechanics leave me cold.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'll put in another vote for Savage Worlds filling a lot of your requirements listed in the OP.

I understand that what you've seen of it may leave you a bit cold. To be honest I never cared a think about the system until somebody who was good at running it ran it for me. I was instantly smitten and it has become one of my most favorite systems (I just started running a new fantasy game of it.).

As has been explained above by those more mathematically inclined than me, the dice system might look a bit wonky. But in practice it always feel like things average out just where you'd expect them to.

As for the characters seeming too much the same, that's not been my experience at all. By the time you get done factoring in Attributes, Skills, Edges and Hindrances (not to mention Powers and Trappings) there is a HUGE variety of character concepts. And, probably what I like most about character creation, is that you can, with the right combination of those things, emulate nearly any character you can imagine.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Having a fixed TN of 4 drives me batty! Why because the math applies to your roll!

So reverse all the math. Put it all on the TN instead of the roll.

Fast, simple, and it won't break anything.

I aim. This reduces the TN by 2. He's at Long Range, increasing the TN by 4. I'm wounded, upping the TN, but have a Trademark Weapon, lowering the TN, and I use the Double Tap technique, lowering it again. Net TN 5.

I agree, rolling well and still failing does suck. But that's always a danger when the system has penalties to throw around.

Last edited:

nedjer

Adventurer
Unusually I wasn't in the mood for game pimping yesterday, but I'm much recovered today. The usual open, free, player choicey, keep the simulation to a side order preferences apply. Traveller SRD, (well hidden away at Mongoose), Treasure and White Box D&D.

MortonStromgal

First Post
So reverse all the math. Put it all on the TN instead of the roll.

Yes, but I would have to create my own GM screen or I can just use another system. Currently I just use Ubiquity, I find its more fast, furious, fun than Savage Worlds. Mostly because I use the attack dice that come with Heroscape so I dont have to count odds/evens. You can just look down and see 5 skulls and 3 blanks. Theres 1001 great systems out there no reason to get tied to just one ;) I would even include Savage Worlds in that 1001, but its just not for me (for more reasons than the direction of the math, I also don't like rolling damage and I want the defender to get to roll a dodge or parry).

ValhallaGH

Explorer
We've all got our tastes. I'm just glad you know what yours are. :-D
(Though turning all the + into - and all the - into + is really, really easy. But I respect that you've got other issues.)

There are too many good systems, honestly. When I find one that does a lot of what I want, I latch onto it and don't let go until I have done what I want to. There are too many parts of life to spend all my time learning and playing new RPGs.
Sure, sometimes I miss out on good systems (if a GM of mine hadn't made me, I'd never have played the new SIFRP, and it satisfies pretty well), but that's one of the trades you make for doing the things you want to do.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
We've all got our tastes. I'm just glad you know what yours are. :-D
(Though turning all the + into - and all the - into + is really, really easy. But I respect that you've got other issues.)

There are too many good systems, honestly. When I find one that does a lot of what I want, I latch onto it and don't let go until I have done what I want to. There are too many parts of life to spend all my time learning and playing new RPGs.
Sure, sometimes I miss out on good systems (if a GM of mine hadn't made me, I'd never have played the new SIFRP, and it satisfies pretty well), but that's one of the trades you make for doing the things you want to do.

This brings up a point that I think is worth mentioning to the OP:

A fantastic way to try on a lot of different game systems is to attend local or national conventions or even some of the Game Days organized through ENWorld.

I can't even count the number of systems (Savage Worlds among them) that excellent GMs have demoed for me at our NC Game Days and GenCon. In fact there are a few GMs in particular who seem to really shine best at showing off a system to others. Nearly every new system I've played in the last 8 years has been presented to me in this manner.

KronikAlkoholik

First Post
Not to get too far gone, since you don't seem to be wanting to continue it, but people often make a mistake when looking at acing dice-they think it is a gigantic boost to small dice, making a d4 the best die type.

It ain't.

Acing adds about .6 to the average result of any given die type. The actual increase in average roll is greater for smaller dice (~0.88 for d4, ~0.69 for d6, ~0.64 for d8, ~0.61 for d10, ~0.59 for d12), but the effect is that a d4 averages 3 and a d12 averages 7.
Example: TN 10.
A d4 aces twice and rolls a 2+. Total 10+. Odds ~5%.
A d12 rolls once and rolls a 10+. Odds 25%.
For Wild Cards (like the PCs) d4 has ~12% success (and ~4% critical failure), and d12 has ~31% success (and ~1% critical failure).

Bigger dice get better results, and roll fewer 1's (which can be significant when there are consequences for getting a 1 on the Trait die).
Factor in the dice-control option (bennies spent to reroll bad die results), and large dice are almost never overcome by small dice. And the exceptions are appropriately memorable.

Note that this it true for every game with exploding dice. The change in frequency only matters if you use a threshold-success system, like Shadowrun 4th or World of Darkness.

What I was referring to is that when the stronger D12 guy gets a exploding die he has already won so it doesn't increase his chance of winning. The D4 however getting a exploding die increases his chance of winning or draw.

Sir Robilar

First Post
The perfect system would be something generic so we could use it for any setting, would allow the characters be both cool and interesting and would require little prep time for me.

How about True20? It can do any setting, is easy to prep, based on 3.5 but not as complicated and needs no mat. Personally I disliked Savage Worlds but enjoyed True20 a lot. The Revised Rulebook + Warrior/Adepts/Expert´s Handbook is really all you need for countless hours of gaming.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
The only game I know well (so far) is D&D4e, and I thought I'd mention that for someone like you who seems to thrive on improv, you can improvise combats very easily with 4e, especially once you've run it for a little while. Flip open the book, look at a monster of an appropriate level, and re-skin the description to your heart's content. One level 4 brute is about the same as another as far as the numbers go. Heck, you could just use the sheet from the last rules update that lists monster damage, hit points and defenses by level and by role and not bother with a book at all!

In the end, though, if you don't want a game with a battlemap and tactical positioning, I agree that D&D4e is not for you.

I'm looking forward to getting my first taste of Savage Worlds in a couple of weeks at TactiCon here in the Denver area - I'm expecting that it will be a lot of fun!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases