• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you take powers more than once?

babinro

First Post
Couple of questions. First is can you take multiple encounter powers of lower level? For example, at level three, could a player just have two level 1 encounter powers instead of taking a level 3 option. I assume they could as that doesn't seem in any way wrong.

Secondly, if the above is possible, could you take the same encounter or daily power? And more importantly, would it even work? The main reason this comes up is because of the Paladin lvl 6 Utility Power Wrath of the Gods from PHB. It is almost strictly better than most other utility powers and my paladin has come to see this, he'd like to take the power multiple times with later utility levels. Will this work? And can he use it multiple times since they are daily's with the same name.

Nichwee

First Post
You can learn lower level abilities in a given slot (so your Lvl 3 Enc Power can be a Lvl 1 Enc power) as covered in the "Gaining Levels - Step By Step - Step 7" which talks about gaining powers (PHB Pg 27-28).

The same section also says you can't have the same ability twice.

babinro

First Post
Excellent, I was trying to find some sort of ruling on this but didn't end up checking the appropriate section. Good to know Wrath of the Gods wont be more often seeing as it is already grossly overpowered (or rather given at too low a level) in my opinion.

Remove ads