• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you teleport an unwilling, but unconscious, person with you?

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Rub said:
you seem on edge today KR.

I've been teetering on the edge on and off all morning, but I have yet to actually "snap" at someone in traditional "kreynolds fashion", so I'm kinda proud of myself. I guess my bull****-o'-meter got pegged full today.

Magic Rub said:
I think all this thread needs now is more fish. Unconscious teleporting fish!

LOL :D

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Originally posted by Magus_Jerel
1. Contingency/teleport automatically fails
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What?!?! Get a hold of yourself man. Read the contingency spell...

"You can place another spell upon your person so that the latter spell comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The companion spell and the spell it is to bring into effect are cast at the same time.The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that casting time instead.The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person (feather fall, levitate, fly, teleport, and so forth) and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. For example, a contingency cast with water breathing might prescribe that any time you are plunged into or otherwise engulfed in water or similar liquid, the water breathing spell instantly comes into effect. Or a contingency could bring a feather fall spell into effect any time you fall more than 4 feet. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the second spell, the latter being "cast" instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. Note that if complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spell occurs based solely on the
stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.You can use only one contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.Material Components: Those of the companion spell, plus quicksilver and an eyelash of an ogre mage, ki-rin, or similar spell-using creature. Focus: A statuette of you carved from elephant ivory and decorated with gems (worth at least 1,500 gp). You must carry the focus for the contingency to work."

Seems pretty clear to me that it would work.

Whoops... need to rephrase that one

Contigency/telport with a trigger of "when I fall unconcious" fails.

Usually - the target of the teleport is a temple of some kind... with a friendly priest who does the save your life bit. - or resurrection/raise dead if need be.

Magic Rub

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
Contingency/teleport with a trigger of "when I fall unconscious" fails.

Sure, but who would do that, especially now after reading this thread? When you could say "As I fall unconscious" or "in my last moment of lucid thought before I fall in to the realm of unconsciousness." and it would work. I could go on an pick it apart into nanoseconds but I won't because I think you get it. :)

And now the music

B I - -
O'
B I - -
O'
B I - -
O'
...AND BINGO WAS HIS NAME Oooooooooooo':D

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
With today's update, I just got to the point in my storyhour where this topic first arose. For the sake of the plot, I went with the "yes" option (even though I think that the "nos" had a slight edge from a strict rules perspective). Ultimately I guess (like everything) that it comes down to a DM's call. Thanks everyone for your replies to my original question.

Vanye

Explorer
Magus_Jerel said:
Contigency/telport with a trigger of "when I fall unconcious" fails.

Why would it fail? Remember, you've *already cast the teleport spell*. Contingency is basically a super delay "When this happens, this spell takes effect." You make no decisions as to the options for the secondary spell, as you would have made those decisions when you "cast" that spell with the contingency. Were you willing when you cast the teleport as part of the contingency? Hopefully! Thus, the spell would go into effect as you specified at that time.

If you got to choose the options for the spell at that time, I'd be tempted to agree with you, but you don't-you cast that spell when you placed that contingency, not when it goes off.

Destil

Explorer
Xahn'Tyr said:
Heh, I think Occam's razor favors my argument; not that I have anything agains potatoes or tubers in general...

As a side note, I'd house rule that "willing" actually means "not unwilling" in my own campaing. Just wish they had put that in print.

This is how I'd basically run it. Clear cut and simple, there's no nebulous third state of uncaring brought about by lack of perception only willing / unwilling.

We're not talking about people with 0 wis here, for one thing. Even if you're unaware of something like a charm spell you still get a save against it : you're mind still has a chance of fighting it off, and thus it knows something's up, which most likely is just part of how magic works .

So I'd say the unconscious person gets the same info as someone being raised: the name and alignment of the person teleporting them (and a general knowledge of what type of effect the' re being subjected to, though that's more of a rule 0 ruling).

As far as evil spellcasters porting off unwilling victims, there have to be some spells out there that can bring along the poor hapless souls, just not good old teleport.

Madfox

First Post
That evil wizard can always charm that sacrificial victim ;)

I have to agree with people, that it would be best to treat it as raise dead.

Magic Rub

First Post
Vanye said:

Why would it fail? Remember, you've *already cast the teleport spell*. Contingency is basically a super delay "When this happens, this spell takes effect." You make no decisions as to the options for the secondary spell, as you would have made those decisions when you "cast" that spell with the contingency. Were you willing when you cast the teleport as part of the contingency? Hopefully! Thus, the spell would go into effect as you specified at that time.

If you got to choose the options for the spell at that time, I'd be tempted to agree with you, but you don't-you cast that spell when you placed that contingency, not when it goes off.

OK buddy what's this all a boot then eh? :confused: Trust me it's just as simple to say "as I fall" & not "when I fall" No fuss no muss, just good ol' Teleportin' swank a$$ fun, with half the calories

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads