• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you wield two implements?

interwyrm

First Post
Let's say you're a wizard with a high wisdom. You wanted to use the staff of resounding thunder to mix things up a bit with your thunderwave...

But you've also got a high wisdom, so you'd rather use orb mastery. Can you wield an orb at the same time as your staff to gain the orb mastery benefit?

I realize that quarterstaves are two handed "weapons"... so, alternatively, could you use an orb and a wand at the same time?

Mort_Q

First Post
In 4e wielding means using. So technically no.

However, you can hold an Orb in one hand and the Staff in another, and use either one as you see fit each turn. You just can't use the staff as a weapon with one hand.

FadedC

First Post
In 4e wielding means using. So technically no.

However, you can hold an Orb in one hand and the Staff in another, and use either one as you see fit each turn. You just can't use the staff as a weapon with one hand.

Last I heard it was still questionable at best as to weither you could use a staff in one hand while using it as an implement. But the rest of the answer is certainly true.

Oompa

First Post
Hmm i think you need two hands for an staff to wield it as an implement but thats just me..

The rest is wielding = using..

Mort_Q

First Post
I don't have my books here, but doesn't it say that staffs can be walking sticks or quarter staffs? I'll buy you can't use the Implement Mastery defense thingy if you're not wielding a staff in two hands however.

Either way... if you get Quick Draw for the Orb... things will work just fine.

FadedC

First Post
I don't have my books here, but doesn't it say that staffs can be walking sticks or quarter staffs? I'll buy you can't use the Implement Mastery defense thingy if you're not wielding a staff in two hands however.

Either way... if you get Quick Draw for the Orb... things will work just fine.

It actually says that every staff functions as a quarter staff if used in battle.

Mort_Q

First Post
It actually says that every staff functions as a quarter staff if used in battle.

It says it functions as a quarter staff if used in melee in the magic item section.

Where does it say it functions as a quarter staff when used in battle, or as an implement?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I get the impression that you can only 'wield' one implement at a time. That is, you can't use two implements to cast the same spell, or get benefits of both in the same round. No reason you could hold two implements and alternate using them, or wield a staff most of the time, but pull out an orb when you want to put the whammy one someone.

Remove ads