• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkl3000

Explorer
Personally, I would have no problems with allowing a druid to wear metal armor. That said, followers of the old ways would be likely to look down on the druid for doing so, since the druid is breaking with tradition. Druids in my campaigns are often held in respect by creatures of nature (treants, dryads, etc) but they'd be inclined to believe that someone wearing metal armor is trying to (poorly) impersonate a druid, and therefore would be quite dubious of such an individual.

That said, it's entirely feasible in my campaign to obtain versions of metal armor that aren't made of metal, so it's not something that's likely to come up. I suppose a druid could also obtain glamoured metal armor, but that would likely be more work than simply acquiring armor made from alternative materials.
I like this approach for role-playing an aversion to metal armor. The druid I'm playing right now is wearing metal scale mail but I expect for him to be called out on it the first time he runs into another group of druids. Then he'll probably feel kind of shamed into finding an alternative.

It's kind of weak, character and story-wise, but absent a hard rule, a more compelling lore element, or a specific penalizing game mechanic, it's the best I've been able to come up with.

jasper

Rotten DM
I have found the metal armor restrictions to be rather disruptive, we have largely ignored this at my tables. To start with what defines "metal armor"? Is studded leather metal? Almost all middle age shields are primarily wooden IRL, maybe some bucklers were metal, but no other metal shields existed. In the far east IRL there was wooden armor that would most approximate half-plate, breast plate or splint mail.

Also in terms of story or theme, if a Paladin can go against his oath and become an oathbreaker or an asimar become fallen, why can't a druid wear metal?

Just a stupid rule IMO and it does not seem to add much flavor IMO since he can swing a metal scimitar and seems to have no problem adventuring with the guy wearing chainmail. Also as a tree-hugger I would find it somewhat silly to say - "sure you can cut down that tree and make me some armor, but no metal"

What do you think?
They blow up. Studded Leather makes them blow up in big chucks. Other metal armours make them blow up in smaller chunks. But if works of your group. Do the Druid.

Laurefindel

Legend
Metal armor is a taboo for druids. Like the Mandalorean who cannot remove his helmet. Which works fine for a specific religion, less so for a whole class (especially since it’s now open to all races).

it’s an artifact of older edition that was kept to reinforce the « natural » theme of druids. I’m honestly not sure where I stand on that front…

carkl3000

Explorer
Metal armor is a taboo for druids. Like the Mandalorean who cannot remove his helmet. Which works fine for a specific religion, less so for a whole class (especially since it’s now open to all races).

it’s an artifact of older edition that was kept to reinforce the « natural » theme of druids. I’m honestly not sure where I stand on that front…
1627853868452.png

I think it's a great analogy. 😊

lingual

Adventurer
No "big" metal armor for me. Always make sure there are obtainable Ankheg, Bulette, spider carapace, etc. equivalents. Makes it fun when the druid obtains one. I'm mostly against the image of druids in full plate.

In a world with adventuring druids and stuff and the "no metal" armor restrictions, you would figure that druids would have developed alternatives and made them at least moderately obtainable for other druids.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
... but you did...

No, I didn't.

I'm not making an actual comparison or making an argument for a specific buff to something.

I just picked something arbitrary to show that it is just as arbitrary to say another class should have a buff for the sake of having a buff.

Yes, higher AC is better. It's beneficial to have it, that doesn't mean that classes should all have high AC. They should have things they do better or worse than other classes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If you want to compare with wizard then druid should get a non-concentration armor buff and shield spell...
Which is pretty comparable to light and medium armor and shield proficiency, not to mention healing magic and concentration AC buffs, and what is basically THP in the form of Wild Shape.

carkl3000

Explorer
No, I didn't.

I'm not making an actual comparison or making an argument for a specific buff to something.

I just picked something arbitrary to show that it is just as arbitrary to say another class should have a buff for the sake of having a buff.

Yes, higher AC is better. It's beneficial to have it, that doesn't mean that classes should all have high AC. They should have things they do better or worse than other classes.
If you had a druid in the party that wanted to take a more active role in combat, would you give them access to a breastplate or half-plate made of chitin, bullette hide, ironwood, bone plates, etc? Or would you tell them, "Sorry, druids don't really fight in melee range unless they're moon druids or tortles."

ad_hoc

(they/them)
If you had a druid in the party that wanted to take a more active role in combat, would you give them access to a breastplate or half-plate made of chitin, bullette hide, ironwood, bone plates, etc? Or would you tell them, "Sorry, druids don't really fight in melee range unless they're moon druids or tortles."

No.

And if I had a Druid who wanted to fly I wouldn't just give them a fly speed because that is what they want.

Or a _____ wants to do _____ I wouldn't give them __ power just because they want to do ___.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads