• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
So the more I think about it; the "rule" says specifically "metal". Steel and Bronze are both alloys, technically neither of these is a metal. So steel half plate and bronze half plate should be fine and relatively common..

I think Druids can comply with the letter of the law, and appease mother nature and others in their order by ensuring they select armor made of alloys off the rack instead of those made of pure iron or pure tin or any other pure metal element. I would imagine most armors fall into this category already.

I don't know where mithril or adamantine armor would fall in this as neither of these is actually on the periodic table IRL. If they are actual elements and are in the metal portion of the table then they would logically be banned, but if they are alloys like steel and not elements they would presumably be allowed.
No. Seriously. If you don't like the rule don't use it and don't try to weasel out of it based on a chemical purist's definition. Embrace ignoring the rule.

ECMO3

Hero
I mean...you do you, but the dictionary doesn't agree.
Well it depends which dictionary you are using, but technically there are four types of metals: alkli, alkaline earth metals, transition metals and rare earth metals (which can be subdivided further into lanthinides and actinides). This is defined by their location on the periodic table. Here is the chemical defiitions:

Metal: Metal is any of the elements with a positive electrical charge, typically with a shiny surface and a good conductor of heat.

Metsl: This is a chemical element made up of various opaque, fusible, ductile and lustrous substances, with some of the most commonly used metals being titanium, copper and nickel.

Here is an engineering webpage pointing out why steel is in fact not a metal (this site completely unrelated to Druids):

Here is a list of all the metals. Druids will not wear armor made of any of these:

NUMBER SYMBOLELEMENT
3LiLithium
4BeBeryllium
11NaSodium
12MgMagnesium
13AlAluminum
19KPotassium
20CaCalcium
21ScScandium
22TiTitanium
23VVanadium
24CrChromium
25MnManganese
26FeIron
27CoCobalt
28NiNickel
29CuCopper
30ZnZinc
31GaGallium
37RbRubidium
38SrStrontium
39YYttrium
40ZrZirconium
41NbNiobium
42MoMolybdenum
43TcTechnetium
44RuRuthenium
45RhRhodium
46PdPalladium
47AgSilver
48CdCadmium
49InIndium
50SnTin
55CsCesium
56BaBarium
57LaLanthanum
58CeCerium
59PrPraseodymium
60NdNeodymium
61PmPromethium
62SmSamarium
63EuEuropium
64GdGadolinium
65TbTerbium
66DyDysprosium
67HoHolmium
68ErErbium
69TmThulium
70YbYtterbium
71LuLutetium
72HfHafnium
73TaTantalum
74WTungsten
75ReRhenium
76OsOsmium
77IrIridium
78PtPlatinum
79AuGold
80HgMercury
81TlThallium
82PbLead
83BiBismuth
84PoPolonium
87FrFrancium
88RaRadium
89AcActinium
90ThThorium
91PaProtactinium
92UUranium
93NpNeptunium
94PuPlutonium
95AmAmericium
96CmCurium
97BkBerkelium
98CfCalifornium
99EsEinsteinium
100FmFermium
101MdMendelevium
102NoNobelium
103LrLawrencium
104RfRutherfordium
105DbDubnium
106SgSeaborgium
107BhBohrium
108HsHassium
109MtMeitnerium
110DsDarmstadtium
111RgRoentgenium
112CnCopernicium
113NhNihonium
114FlFlerovium
115McMoscovium
116LvLivermorium

ECMO3

Hero
No. Seriously. If you don't like the rule don't use it and don't try to weasel out of it based on a chemical purist's definition. Embrace ignoring the rule.
Or embrace the actual meaning of the rule.

Alloys are not technically metal. That is a fact. If you are going by what the PHB actually says Druids can wear steel armor (or Bronze or if they can find it armor made from T6060).

They can not wear Iron or Titanium or tin armor. If you are a rule purist, that is what the rule actually says.

ECMO3

Hero
They're metal alloys.
They are alloys made of metal and non-metal elements, but they are not metals themselves. Steel (any steel) is a combination of Iron (metal) and Carbon (non-metal) and potentially other elements (both metal and non-metal). Read the link above I provided.

Also leather likewise includes Chromium, Calcium and Sodium - all of these are metal elements and leather (any leather) is a compound that includes all of these metals (just like alloys include metal elements). To be clear I am talking about the leather itself here, not the buckles.

There is literally no armor on the entire table that a Druid can wear if the chemical composition of its protective components has to be completely devoid of any metal elements.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Then I guess I'm objectively wrong? for enforcing the rules, that everyone agreed to follow?
Not what I said. You said the DM's job is to enforce stupid rules. That's against RAW. RAW says that the primary purpose of the game is to have fun. And it says that the rules are secondary as they serve the DM, not the other way around.

If you are enforcing a stupid rule, you are doing it at the expense of fun(or it wouldn't be a stupid rule) and that's an example of bad DMing, in addition to being against the rules.
This is a tempest in a teapot. can't or shouldn't be changed. We didn't like the rule at my table either, so I collaborated with the player and changed it. (shrug) We change rules all the time, for lots of reasons. What I'm trying to say is that there is a proper way to change the rules...and changing/ignoring them on the fly without consulting the other players first might not be it.
That's fine. On the fly works for a lot of groups, but not all.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The DM makes the final decision on whether or not the rules of the book are followed even if you personally do not like the rule. Sage advice clearly states that it is, indeed, a rule and if you feel strongly to talk to your DM. A DM can always change the rule.
Quote me the portion of sage advice that says explicitly that it's a rule. I can you multiple spots in the sage advice that says it's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads