D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, not all improvised rulings need to be a BIG DEAL. They can just happen. DMs are supposed to make judgement calls all the time.
Not just that, but 5e is deliberately written vaguely in order to force DMs to make judgement calls. Rulings over rules is their mantra for a reason.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well it depends which dictionary you are using, but technically there are four types of metals: alkli, alkaline earth metals, transition metals and rare earth metals (which can be subdivided further into lanthinides and actinides). This is defined by their location on the periodic table. Here is the chemical defiitions:

Metal: Metal is any of the elements with a positive electrical charge, typically with a shiny surface and a good conductor of heat.

Metsl: This is a chemical element made up of various opaque, fusible, ductile and lustrous substances, with some of the most commonly used metals being titanium, copper and nickel.

Here is an engineering webpage pointing out why steel is in fact not a metal (this site completely unrelated to Druids):

Here is a list of all the metals. Druids will not wear armor made of any of these:

NUMBERSYMBOLELEMENT
3LiLithium
4BeBeryllium
11NaSodium
12MgMagnesium
13AlAluminum
19KPotassium
20CaCalcium
21ScScandium
22TiTitanium
23VVanadium
24CrChromium
25MnManganese
26FeIron
27CoCobalt
28NiNickel
29CuCopper
30ZnZinc
31GaGallium
37RbRubidium
38SrStrontium
39YYttrium
40ZrZirconium
41NbNiobium
42MoMolybdenum
43TcTechnetium
44RuRuthenium
45RhRhodium
46PdPalladium
47AgSilver
48CdCadmium
49InIndium
50SnTin
55CsCesium
56BaBarium
57LaLanthanum
58CeCerium
59PrPraseodymium
60NdNeodymium
61PmPromethium
62SmSamarium
63EuEuropium
64GdGadolinium
65TbTerbium
66DyDysprosium
67HoHolmium
68ErErbium
69TmThulium
70YbYtterbium
71LuLutetium
72HfHafnium
73TaTantalum
74WTungsten
75ReRhenium
76OsOsmium
77IrIridium
78PtPlatinum
79AuGold
80HgMercury
81TlThallium
82PbLead
83BiBismuth
84PoPolonium
87FrFrancium
88RaRadium
89AcActinium
90ThThorium
91PaProtactinium
92UUranium
93NpNeptunium
94PuPlutonium
95AmAmericium
96CmCurium
97BkBerkelium
98CfCalifornium
99EsEinsteinium
100FmFermium
101MdMendelevium
102NoNobelium
103LrLawrencium
104RfRutherfordium
105DbDubnium
106SgSeaborgium
107BhBohrium
108HsHassium
109MtMeitnerium
110DsDarmstadtium
111RgRoentgenium
112CnCopernicium
113NhNihonium
114FlFlerovium
115McMoscovium
116LvLivermorium
Now my Fighter needs a set of Livermorium plate.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not just that, but 5e is deliberately written vaguely in order to force DMs to make judgement calls. Rulings over rules is their mantra for a reason.
Right, stuff like the skill descriptions are so inescapably written to avoid there even being a RAW to cling to, that 5e has forced by RAW-focused DM best friend to embrace rulings and homebrew. I mean, he still sticks to RAW when it is clear, unless it sucks, but it's a big change from when he ran 4e, or any Star Wars TTRPG (WEG being what he got started in TTRPGs on as a kid).

The rules of 5e are completely written to facilitate play without prescribing play. It's even a thing that people trash talk it for, and claim that it has no focus or that it "doesn't know what it wants to be" while totally missing the point of how the rules are written.

Faolyn

(she/her)
They are alloys made of metal and non-metal elements, but they are not metals themselves. Steel (any steel) is a combination of Iron (metal) and Carbon (non-metal) and potentially other elements (both metal and non-metal). Read the link above I provided.

Also leather likewise includes Chromium, Calcium and Sodium - all of these are metal elements and leather (any leather) is a compound that includes all of these metals (just like alloys include metal elements). To be clear I am talking about the leather itself here, not the buckles.

There is literally no armor on the entire table that a Druid can wear if the chemical composition of its protective components has to be completely devoid of any metal elements.
Sigh. Alloys are metal. Or if they're not metals, then they're not in such a technical sense of the word that it's ridiculous to count them as not-metals. Also, humans have chromium, calcium, and sodium. Clearly the trace amounts of those metals in the human body--or in leather--does count.

If anything, it would be less likely that druids would use an alloy than a pure metal. I can see a druid wearing a breastplate made entirely of iron, especially if it were taken from the ground and just beaten into shape without going through any sort of processing beyond some simple heating and quenching (fire and water, both natural!). Or perhaps shaped with magic. But a highly-processed and unnatural material like steel is definitely out.

When it comes down to it, saying that since steel isn't a metal your druid should wear it is like saying that a character that has resistance to poison damage should still be injured by a venom. It's a pointless technicality.

Also:

1628202681202.png

Chaosmancer

Legend
The DM makes the final decision on whether or not the rules of the book are followed even if you personally do not like the rule. Sage advice clearly states that it is, indeed, a rule and if you feel strongly to talk to your DM. A DM can always change the rule.

Why is it acceptable for a rule to force a character to not only have a religious belief, but forbid the character to break that belief?

You say that you don't want to impinge on deeply held beliefs, but you are perfectly okay with forcing people to conform to beliefs whether they want to or not?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sigh. Alloys are metal. Or if they're not metals, then they're not in such a technical sense of the word that it's ridiculous to count them as not-metals. Also, humans have chromium, calcium, and sodium. Clearly the trace amounts of those metals in the human body--or in leather--does count.

If anything, it would be less likely that druids would use an alloy than a pure metal. I can see a druid wearing a breastplate made entirely of iron, especially if it were taken from the ground and just beaten into shape without going through any sort of processing beyond some simple heating and quenching (fire and water, both natural!). Or perhaps shaped with magic. But a highly-processed and unnatural material like steel is definitely out.

When it comes down to it, saying that since steel isn't a metal your druid should wear it is like saying that a character that has resistance to poison damage should still be injured by a venom. It's a pointless technicality.

Also:

View attachment 141754
Yep. Steel and such are metals in 5e, which uses the common usage of words. If you go out and ask 100 people if steel is a metal, you're going to get 99 yeses and 1 chemist.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Why is it acceptable for a rule to force a character to not only have a religious belief, but forbid the character to break that belief?

You say that you don't want to impinge on deeply held beliefs, but you are perfectly okay with forcing people to conform to beliefs whether they want to or not?

Because no one's forced to play a particular character (or a particular game)?

Like, if a Druid not being willing to wear metal armor was such a non-starter for me playing one and I couldn't convince my DM to let me get around that in any way, shape, or form acceptable to me, I'd just... not play a Druid.

If I happened to only want to a play a Druid, but Druids not being willing to wear metal armor was still a non-starter for me- and I couldn't convince my DM to let me get around that- I'd either find another DM or just... not play.

ECMO3

Hero
Also, humans have chromium, calcium, and sodium. Clearly the trace amounts of those metals in the human body--or in leather--does count.
Exactly. That is why "metal armor" obviously refers specifically to pure elemental metal like Iron or Titanium.
If anything, it would be less likely that druids would use an alloy than a pure metal. I can see a druid wearing a breastplate made entirely of iron, especially if it were taken from the ground and just beaten into shape without going through any sort of processing beyond some simple heating and quenching (fire and water, both natural!).

There is no naturally occuring pure iron that can be pulled out of the ground (although there is small amounts of naturally occuring Iron-Nickel alloy which comes from meteorites and technically would be a steel I believe).

The Iron we get from Iron mines comes from hemitite or magnetite and the iron has to be extracted through a blast furnace.

If the venom did poison damage a character would take half damage if he was resistant. If it does necrotic damage or acid damage (example vampire bite, Black Dragon bite) he would take full damage from it if he was resistant to poison. If something said he was immune to all venoms and it was a venom that caused this then he would not take any damage.

For example Drow poision will 100% put someone to sleep if they were only resistant to poson damage. They would need to be immune to the poisoned condition (which is not the same as being immune to poison damage) or immune to being put to sleep not to be affected by such.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Exactly. That is why "metal armor" obviously refers specifically to pure elemental metal like Iron or Titanium.
Not in D&D.

1. 5e uses the common usage, which makes steel a metal. The common person calls steel a metal.

2. The fluff lore pertains only to suits of armor, not trace metals. Druids have always had metal weapons. It's not the metal that's off limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads