• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
But you had that decision at the character creation. You willingly signed up for being non-metal wearer.

I think this relates to discussions about renegade clerics and paladins and such that we had a while ago (I don't remember if you participated.) Many classes assume certain amount of fluff, and this might require certain sort of behaviour on part of the character. Wizards study spellbooks, clerics pray to their gods. And there is no clear rules what happens if a player decides to go against that fluff. Generally the game just assumes that the player chose to be OK with the fluff in the character creations and not to do that. But what happens if a cleric breaks all the sacred tenets of their faith, curses their god and burns down their temple? Depends on metaphysics, but I think in many setting they might be an ex cleric. And the rules really do not answer how to deal with this. Which is not to say this sort of storylines cannot be played, it just requires the GM making stuff up.
Right! The game doesn't delve into the details of what happens in these scenarios because it assumes the game you want to be playing is Dungeons & Dragons, where clerics live up to their deity's expectations and druids will not wear leather armor.

And if it said I “can’t” wear metal armor, that would be fine (if still incomplete.) If it said I lose my class if I wear metal armor, then it would be a complete rule. As it’s written, it’s just a restriction on how I’m allowed to play my own character.
Yes it is. And as you chose that restriction yourself in the first place, I don't see how that is a big problem.

But these are things a character of these classes generally do, nor things they ”won’t” do.
They still effectively restrict how to play your character. It's a difference of degree at most.

The only other class that has anything remotely like such a restriction is the Paladin, and rather than saying the Paladin “won’t” break their oath, it says what happens if they do. In this way, it maintains the player’s agency by giving them the option to make that choice and face the consequences.
Yes, and I think pretty much everyone agrees that this would be a better way to do it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You've already said that you're fine with "cannot wear" as opposed to "will not wear," which is an issue of semantics, no?
No, because can not and will not mean very different things. Also, it would still be a poorly constructed rule if it said “can not” because it would still fail to lay out what happens if you try. But at least it would be a statement about what the character is capable of instead of what they’re willing to do. The latter dictates for me my character’s thoughts and decisions. The former just informs me of a limitation of my character’s abilities.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Charlaquin said:
The only other class that has anything remotely like such a restriction is the Paladin, and rather than saying the Paladin “won’t” break their oath, it says what happens if they do. In this way, it maintains the player’s agency by giving them the option to make that choice and face the consequences.
Yes, and I think pretty much everyone agrees that this would be a better way to do it.
I think it's important to remember that there's precedence in the source fiction for fallen paladins, that's why there are outlined options. The same is not true for the druid.

Laurefindel

Legend
But that could in fact be the reason.

(At a party 25,000 years ago)

Druid: "Finally my time has come. I've been invited to the annual Gods' Bash. What should I wear? I know! I got this new set of shiny magical plate mail. That should make an impression."

(A few days later) said in Sponge Bob narrator voice.

Druid: "I'm so happy! I've met Torm, Sune, Apollo and Thor. I can't wait to see who I run into next."

A drunk Dionysus: hic "Hi. Who are you and what is that you're wearing?"

Druid: "My name is Thistle Thornbush and this is my new armor. Do you like it?"

A drunk Dionysus: "It's, um, very nice, but you do know that if a druid wears metal armor he'll be taken to Hell and tortured forever when he dies, right?"

Druid: (a look of horror comes across the druid's face) "Excuse me! I have to go!"

(later that night)

A drunk Dionysus: "Hey Demeter, you'll never guess what I told one of your druids. snicker I told him that druids who wear metal armor go to Hell."

(A drunk Dionysus and Demeter fall to the ground laughing hysterically.)

And that ladies in gentlemen, is why druids won't wear metal armor.
Personally I’m leaning toward a conspiracy from the Elven Chailmail Makers Consortium (TM) to boost their sales back in the days when druids where the rage. Like the « leaving your umbrella open indoors brings bad luck » superstition actually results in your umbrella rotting and forcing you to buy another.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes it is. And as you chose that restriction yourself in the first place, I don't see how that is a big problem.
You don’t see a problem with a class you have to sign away your player agency to be allowed to play?
They still effectively restrict how to play your character. It's a difference of degree at most.
No, they don’t. They describe how a typical member of the class behaves (which, incidentally, is what I interpret the metal armor restriction to do as well. It’s only if you interpret it as a rule about what PCs of the class can do instead of a description of how members of the class typically behave that it creates an agency problem).

I think it's important to remember that there's precedence in the source fiction for fallen paladins, that's why there are outlined options. The same is not true for the druid.
Yes, that definitely is true and probably the reason why the rules ended up being written differently. I don't think the designers expected people to agonise over the traditional druid armour restriction.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Personally I’m leaning toward a conspiracy from the Elven Chailmail Makers Consortium (TM) to boost their sales back in the days when druids where the rage. Like the « leaving your umbrella open indoors brings bad luck » superstition actually results in your umbrella rotting and forcing you to buy another.
Don't you mean the Elven Chainmail Makers Organization, or ECMO. Wait! @ECMO3 :unsure:

The truth is out there. 👽

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads