• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Not how I would expect a 50yo to behave as a guest in someone else's home or place of business, especially while playing a damn game, but if that has proven to be a winning formula for you then who am I to judge?
😬
Honestly, that's actually an OK reason to nope out of the game. If the DM is telling you that your character wouldn't do something--not can't, but won't--it's almost always because the DM has a story in mind to tell and is ignoring things that go against that story. The rest of the time, it's because your character is being mind-controlled.

If the DM said "are you sure you want to do that? You're a rogue, after all," that's different. Although I'm hard pressed to think of anything that a rogue wouldn't do just because they're a rogue.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Honestly, that's actually an OK reason to nope out of the game. If the DM is telling you that your character wouldn't do something--not can't, but won't--it's almost always because the DM has a story in mind to tell and is ignoring things that go against that story. The rest of the time, it's because your character is being mind-controlled.

If the DM said "are you sure you want to do that? You're a rogue, after all," that's different. Although I'm hard pressed to think of anything that a rogue wouldn't do just because they're a rogue.
And if the DM has a story in mind to tell, I'm already at dude's house enjoying his food and friends, so whatevs guy tell your story.

Unless there aren't any adult drinks, in which case I'm flipping the table before I follow @Maxperson out!
😜

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It's not possible to learn how to use plate without knowing how to use all plate. The one exception is the pact blade which magically confers the ability to use it and it alone(so not true proficiency). It's utter nonsense to believe that plate =/= plate, because materials and at the same time plate = plate, despite different materials. There's no such magical reason behind either the fighter or the druid to allow such a thing.
It is possible.

The Druid is a magic class.

There can be a magical reason.

Animals can imbue the Druid with the knowledge of how to use natural animal defenses, thus armors of skin and fur and scales.

But animals might lack knowledge about metal armors.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It is possible.

The Druid is a magic class.
Then quote me the portion that says it's magical. If you can't do that, it isn't.
There can be a magical reason.
If you house rule one, yes.
Animals can imbue the Druid with the knowledge of how to use natural animal defenses, thus armors of skin and fur and scales.

But animals might lack knowledge about metal armors.
Sounds like a reasonable house rule.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Then quote me the portion that says it's magical. If you can't do that, it isn't.

If you house rule one, yes.

Sounds like a reasonable house rule.
Class features dont need to say if they are magical or not. They just do whatever it says they do.

A Monk adds Wisdom to Armor Class, is that magical or not?

A Druid is proficient with nonmetal armors, is that magical or not?

And the question is moot, because magic can cause effects that are nonmagical.

I can cast a Create Water spell, and the water is nonmagical − it wont vanish in an antimagic zone.

The Druid is only proficient with nonmetal armors.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Yes. And page 45 says differently. But Crawford's clarification implies that page 65 is correct. Without it it would be open to interpretation.
Crawfords note about designers intent explains why the designers decided the Druid doesnt use metal armor. It is a nod to 1e. He only talks about the class in itself. He doesnt elaborate about mountain dwarf Druids, Druids who take feats, or stuff like that beyond the class.

lingual

Adventurer
I don't understand why someone can't be proficient with hide armor, but not half plate.

Also, let's not conflate this druid armor thing with "player agency" or "railroading" or "players can do anything they want". If you are arguing in good faith, we all know there is enough confusion to the rule that a table that disallows it is perfectly fine (and vice versa).

Faolyn

(she/her)
And if the DM has a story in mind to tell, I'm already at dude's house enjoying his food and friends, so whatevs guy tell your story.

Unless there aren't any adult drinks, in which case I'm flipping the table before I follow @Maxperson out!
😜
When I say "story to tell," I mean the kind of story that involves them effectively taking over your character and making them do only what they approve of. I don't know many gamers who are cool with that sort of stuff.

lingual

Adventurer
I don't understand why someone can't be proficient with hide armor, but not half plate.

Also, let's not conflate this druid armor thing with "player agency" or "railroading" or "players can do anything they want". If you are arguing in good faith, we all know there is enough confusion to the rule that a table that disallows it is perfectly fine (and vice versa).
Come to think of it. It's weak compromise positions like mine above that will keep this from hitting 3k or 4k. Argue on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads