D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkl3000

Explorer
False life doesn’t stack, your THP total would become the amount given by False Life.
...but symbiotic entity specifies:

These benefits last for 10 minutes, until you lose
all these temporary hit points.
And it was suggested as part of the point that Druids can take feats too, and gain useful spells. Magic Initiate or Shadowtouched would get you False Life, with MI also getting you Mage Armor, but ST getting you +1 wisdom.
...totally. I've picked out the feats I want most. Gonna get Misty Step and gift of alacrity with Fey Touched, take a skill and an expertise and max my wis with skill expert, war caster for OA spells and advantage on concentration checks, res con to make sure I can always keep my concentration spells up, and one more +con feat to round everything out.

carkl3000

Explorer
It's opposite really; the fact that it has mechanical impact is the reason people seem to care so much about what would otherwise just be a flavor thing. Now, i could be wrong, i admit, but i am guessing that there are far less people willing to fight over their character looking like they are wearing metal than there are people willing to fight over that precious +2 AC.
This is the truth. If there was a better, non-concentration armor buff than barkskin on the druid spell list, I would happily forget all about the armor crap and just take the spell slot penalty...

So, the theme only matters if enforcing it has a mechanical penalty. Because even if you tried to enforce that a druid can't use a metal staff, there is no rules for this. You say they wouldn't because there is no reason, but they could come up with a reason that they want a metal staff, and it in no way is a rules question.
Someone in some rare situation possibly doing a thing is completely different than practically everyone always doing a thing. This is not difficult. Metal armour is simply better than non-metal one and in absence of restriction or an incentive to wear other types of armour it becomes a de facto default.

see

Pedantic Grognard
The response to "It doesn't make sense that druids will use metal for other things but not armor" is that religious taboos don't have to make logical sense. It is, in fact, more realistic if they don't. (I'd give examples from real religions here, but that would be indelicate.)

The response to "But clerics don't have these sorts of restrictions!" is that the cleric is a generic class for many different fantasy religions, and the druid is a specific class for one specific fantasy religion, the religion of D&D druids.

The response to "Druids are just nonproficient in metal armor, they can wear it if they gain proficiency by some other means" is:

1) No, that's not what the designer intent was. See "The druid taboo against metal armor isn't erased by the multiclassing rules" .
2) The Sage Advice Compendium article is explicit the designer intent is a carryover of the traditional D&D game druid taboo. Looking at 2nd and 3rd edition we can see that druids had to abide by the no-metal restiction even if they had proficiency in metal armors from another source.

The response to "This is just a carryover from D&D tradition" is yes, that's exactly what it is. The D&D tradition is what makes the game D&D, instead of any of the scores of less-successful fantasy roleplaying games that have been printed in the last 47 years. And as the fate of 4th edition demonstrates, no, WotC really can't just put the D&D trademark on any FRPG and have it be treated as D&D.

carkl3000

Explorer
OK, lets work with this. How would this improved barkskin look?
I think I mentioned it earlier, but this has turned into a long and interminable thread.

I think I would make it a second level slot, give it 8 hour duration, and make it a buff that can add to existing AC. If this was the "Druid AC Solution" TM I would probably also eliminate medium armor proficiency? I don't know... I'm not a game designer.... just a player, but I think it's going in the right direction.

Yaarel

He Mage
This is the truth. If there was a better, non-concentration armor buff than barkskin on the druid spell list, I would happily forget all about the armor crap and just take the spell slot penalty...
Fix the Barkskin spell.

Also, I would love the Druid to have a 5e version of the "Ironbody" spell, to transmute into a high-AC living statue of metal.

Because of the earth elemental spells, this Ironbody makes sense for the Druid class.

Note, the Druid does get the slot 4 Stoneskin spell to transmute into stone.

Likewise, transmuting into metal also coheres thematically.

carkl3000

Explorer
Fix the Barkskin spell.

Also, I would love the Druid to have a 5e version of the "Ironbody" spell, to transmute into a high-AC living statue of metal.

Because of the earth elemental spells, this Ironbody makes sense for the Druid class.

Note, the Druid does get the slot 4 Stoneskin spell to transmute into stone.

Likewise, transmuting into metal also coheres thematically.
Stoneskin is good, but it's a concentration spell. It precludes a lot of the other things that make druids cool. It'd be nice if there was a middle ground.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To clarify a bladesinger has better AC than a Druid in every fight and can have the highest AC in the game multiple times a day (to be specific twice at levels 2-4, 3 times at levels 5-10, 4 times at 9-12, 5 at 13-16, 6 at 17-20). Further they can give their opponent disadvantage for most fights with a second level spell (or a first level spell if fighting a fey, fiend, celestial or undead) meaning not only do you have to roll high to hit, you have to roll high with disadvantage.

Even out of bladesong and with no magic items a 4th level bladesinger can push AC to 22 using point buy (13+4dex+5shield spell). Go in bladesong and it is 25, and you are rolling against that 22/25 with disadvantage most of the time. With their unique extra attack feature, a bladesinger after level 6 will do a lot of damage also outrunning most classes in the game in terms of melee damage with one-handed weapons. A few heavy weapon builds will outdamage bladesingers and high-level fighters with 3+ attacks will as well but not with a comparable AC.

At any level a Bladesinger is more than a match for a Druid in melee and after level 6 a bladesinger would more often than not beat 2 Druids simultaneously.
That is a completely absurd claim.

First, Bladesingers won’t reliably have Bladesong up in any campaign I’ve been in, until around 11th level, when most campaigns are done or ending. At low level, they have it 2/day.

Secondly, Shield costs a spell slot and lasts at most 1 full round. So no, their AC isn’t reliably that high. And I don’t know how you figure attacks against them will reliably be at disadvantage. You’re gonna need to back that one up.

Third, they still have garbage HP, lower attack bonus than the Druid, and no particular defense against things like Call Lightning except mitigation via more spell slots, which Druid also has, and the BS has no self healing.

And the Druid doesn’t need to go MAD as badly as the Bladesinger does, so the Druid is going to resist things like Hold Person more easily.

Any Druid subclass could gank a Bladesinger, unless the BS hides behind some summons and acts like a normal Wizard, in which case they’d be better off as an Abjuration Wizard. The only subclasses BS can stand up to reliably are the melee subclasses, and the Druid is still gonna win 7 or more times out of 10.

The BS if fun. It’s not in the top tier of any category but AC, though, and even that is situational.

Now, MC builds using Bladesinger can’t be really powerful in melee, as long as you don’t mind losing out on greater magical power overall, (and I wouldn’t. I signed up to play a gish, not a mage), but then so can Druid MCs like taking Beastmaster Ranger (with Tasha’s options) or Monk (all your monk stuff works in wild shape RAW) or War Cleric, or nearly any Fighter.

But single class? Druid wins.

Yaarel

He Mage
Stoneskin is good, but it's a concentration spell. It precludes a lot of the other things that make druids cool. It'd be nice if there was a middle ground.
Regarding the slot 2 Barkskin spell, it should be at least as good as the slot 1 Mage Armor spell.

Mage Armor is AC 13 (≈ chain shirt) + FULL Dex bonus (for 8 hours, no concentration).

At least, Barkskin should be this good, lasting 8 hours − or rather 24 hours! − without concentration.

I notice the Treant has "AC 16 (natural armor)". But the Treant also has a Dex penalty of AC −1. This implies that the treelike natural armor is actually AC 17 (≈ splint armor) after accounting for the Dex.

So, slot 2 Barkskin granting the minimum AC 17, for 24 hours, without concentration, seems reasonably better than slot 1 Mage Armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads