D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECMO3

Hero
I have found the metal armor restrictions to be rather disruptive, we have largely ignored this at my tables. To start with what defines "metal armor"? Is studded leather metal? Almost all middle age shields are primarily wooden IRL, maybe some bucklers were metal, but no other metal shields existed. In the far east IRL there was wooden armor that would most approximate half-plate, breast plate or splint mail.

Also in terms of story or theme, if a Paladin can go against his oath and become an oathbreaker or an asimar become fallen, why can't a druid wear metal?

Just a stupid rule IMO and it does not seem to add much flavor IMO since he can swing a metal scimitar and seems to have no problem adventuring with the guy wearing chainmail. Also as a tree-hugger I would find it somewhat silly to say - "sure you can cut down that tree and make me some armor, but no metal"

What do you think?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
They can in my games. So long as you'vet got the armour proficiency, there are no penalties.

I reckon they should have just said that wildshape can only be used as long as their is no metal in it, or even said that it can only be used with light armour only. That way druids could wear metal armour and people wouldn't complain about the rule in the PHB. Other classes have similar restrictions so I think this would have worked better for the druid.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yes - but I usually give them a 'natural armor option' that allows them not to do so to preserve the feel. However, if a druid wants to wear metal armor, I do not stop them or punish them for doing so (although there may be NPCs that treat them differently for breaking rules ... however, that is limited to certain circles and groups).
Yep, that's what I do. I have no problem with a druid wearing metal armor, but I have no problem with providing "natural armor" that provides identical protection for a druid that wants it. The important thing is that they're supposed to have the AC that medium armor provides, and I'm not going to deny that over "flavor" reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads