• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E cancelled 5e announcement at Gencon??? Anyone know anything about this?

Imaro

Legend
Hopefully my reply to Johnny 3D3D helps a bit. I think there are at least two contrasts with 3E. First, the mythology in 3E is not as transparent to the player. Second, the monsters given to the GM to work with are not as embedded in that mythology in their core descriptions.

Hmm, why do you say this? I look at the racial section and there is information on the cultures, lands, religions, alignment tendencies, names, etc. for the players to read that all tie them to 3.5's default world. The classes have background information, information on how and why they adventure, the religions they favor, and so on that all ties into the default world. There is a chapter that discusses alignment, the gods (with some animosities cited like the one between Hextor & Heironeous or Corellon and Gruumsh). The monsters in the MM are certainly tied to the default world, I mean the descriptions hint at the conceits of the world. Just by reading the Basilisk entry I know that the wealthy in this world sometimes keep them as pets, or that Archons come from Celestia and Demons are native to the Abyss. What exactly are you missing in 3.5 that you get in 4e?

And once the GM turns to books like The Manual of the Planes to try and flesh things out, the focus (in my view) is more on nooks and crannies, and on scope and wonder, than it is on pressing situations of thematic conflict with which the PCs are expected to engage.

Maybe this is because you are not looking at the complete package? IMO, the planes symetry seems very much based around being a backdrop for thematic conflict... while the players themselves need look no further than the Planar Handbook and the races, heritage feats, faction prestige classes and so on to build a character that expresses the type of thematic conflict they wish to explore or engage in if they want that to be the focus of play.

4e, for example, expects that the culmination of that elf ranger's career might be journeying back into deep myth to intervene in some fashion in the Gruumsh-Corellon fight - whether to finish the job, or perhaps to save Gruumsh's eye and therefore avert some present-day crisis. I don't feel that 3E has the same expectation.

How do 4e's rules, in any way, set this "expectation". This sounds more like you read the 4e fluff and liked it so you came up with a cool adventure hook... which I might add would work just as well in 3.5. But nothing in the PHB Ranger class or the PHB Elf race even hints at this. Is there even a mechanic that would allow a player to do this?

In my view it's not about enjoying the tropes (or not only). It's about the way the story elements are set up as components of play - are they primarily in the hands of the GM, to be discovered by the players? or are they transparent to both players and GM, to be used as the basis for establihsing and resolving conflicts in the course of play?

Aren't they actually, in both games, only available with the correct knowledge check?

The fact that the 4e tropes are so familiar is mainly a means to an end - it facilitates them being transparent to the players.

They are only "familiar" and thus transparent to those are familiar with classic mythology... to many the tropes of Sword and Sorcery, Weird Fantasy, and even Harry Potter are more familiar aqnd far more exciting than the ones used in 4e now.

Whereas I don't feel this at all. The Planewalker's Handbook, for example, is full of all this "secret lore" that it is expected players might have to work at, in game, to get access to. The very notion that "belief shapes the planes" seems to me to entail a type of relativism - "all beliefs have the same metaphysical weight" - which means that a player whose aim in play is to vindicate his/her concerns is already putting him- or herself at odds with the metaphysics.

Wait a minute so what are all those lore checks in 4e for again? The games run the same in this aspect, you just prefer one over the other. If not then it's easy enough for a DM in either game to disregard how knowledge checks work and throw everything open to the players.

OAN...I don't think Planescape gives credence to the fact that all beliefs have the same metaphysical weight. What Planescape says is that in order to give these beliefs metaphysical weight it will cost you blood, sweat, and tears. You are all opposing philosophers with blades and the actual chance to make sure your beliefs affect the multiverse or fail trying... at leats IMO.

I own a range of Planescape products - from memory, Dead Gods, Tales of the Infinite Staircase, the Guide to the Ethereal Plane, and the Planewalker's Handbook. I also have Return to the Demonweb Pits, which as an adventure seems to me to be pretty much in the same vein as Dead Gods.

With 4e's horrible track record with advetures (which you always seem more than willing to overlook or ignore in these discussions) are we really going to judge Planescape by the published adventures?

I've used bits and pieces of the Guide to the Ethereal (which, at least as I recall it, is more of a gloss on the 1st ed Manual of the Planes than anything radically new) in a Rolemater game that featured a heavy degree of ethereal travel. I've used one encounter from the Tales - there's a demon in a funny demiplanar castle with a crazy fighter and wizard NPC on the loose - although embedded in a very different story context.

I couldn't conceive of running Dead Gods, Demonweb or Tales as written, although Tales is better than the other two. The latter two, in particular, utterly presuppose the thematic and story interests of the players, and do not provide scope for the players to drive the story forward by expression of their convictions. For exmample, in Demonweb there is a sequence that will work only if the PCs cooperate with a servant of Orcus. Which is fine if what you want in your game is to explore "What's it feel like to do a deal with a demon?", but is potentially disastrous if your game is driven by player convictions - because what if one of the players' convictions is "Never do a deal with a demon!"?

Demonweb also has the old trope of "my employer is my enemy", which is also fine in exploratory play, but potentially explosive in a thematic-driven game - because unless the GM handles it very carefully, s/he is in effect robbing the players of their input, by making everything they thought had value turn out to be valueless.

Well I guess we are falling back on using published modules (again why don't you judge the thematic content of 4e by the same basis?)...All I'll say is that I notice you didn't once mention the actual campaign setting itself or claim you ran an actual Planescape game.

In addition to my impressions from the Planescape books, which shape my reluctance to use them as written, and my impressions from the 1st ed and 3rd ed Manuals of the Planes, which emphasise - esp in 3rd ed, post-Planescape - nooks-and-crannies exploration rather than the players taking ownership of the cosmology in order to make their own points using it, there are my impressions from posters on these and other boards.

Again check out the Planar Handbook or even the actual Planescape campaign setting (which if I am not mistaken, and I could be, I find extremely odd you are comparing if in fact you have never actually read it.) The thing is I could run a nooks and crannies exploration just as easily in 4e as in 3.5.

For example, one of the first things one typically sees said in an "introduction to Planescape" thread is that the players have to get used to walking into a bar in Sigil, seeing a devil (perhaps talking to an angel) and not killing it. This fits fine with the "metaphysical equivalence of value" vibe that I already commented on as a basic part of the setting. But it is completely at odds with thematically-driven play, in which the whole point is that the players are committed to denying the metaphysical equivalence of value.

Sooo, because the Angel and Devil aren't in an out and out brawl... they aren't in conflict. this seems like a lack of imagination on your part.

I'm sure Planescape could be drifted from its published simulationist orientation in a more narrativist direction, but I think work would be required. Because the "metaphysical equivalence of value" would have to be dropped. So it would have to be open to the players to try and drive the fiends from Sigil (for example), or to overthrow the Lady of Pain, or to bring the Blood War to some sort of conclusion. And in order to make these sorts of player choices meaningful - to avoid robbing them of value in the way I mentioned upthread (discussing betrayal by one's patron) - you'd probably have to get rid of a lot of the metaplot about Yugoloths and the like. Or else make all that transparent, so that the players can know where there are meaningful choices to be made.

You do realize that everything that happens in Planescape once play starts is up to the individual players right? Who said you can't try to drive all the fiends from Sigil... and succeed if you are clever enough. Who said there isn't a way to overthrow the Lady of Pain? but also who said that whatever you decide to do will succeed. Where others have just accepted the Lady's rule...just the act of trying to overthrow her is a meaningful choice.

It would be interesting to hear from any narrativist Planescape people how they actually did it!

I don't think it would change your view of Planescape either way.

Imaro

Legend
To add to the above excellent post, I'd like to mention the shift from 9 alignments each with its own equal portion of cosmic validity to 4E's "points of light" cosmology which pits civilization against "the darkness", with "the darkness" being the antithesis of creation as opposed to an equal partner in it.

See this is the funny thing, IMO... 4e has really made each of their alignments truly and utterly meaningless. They are no longer cosmic forces one can align themselves with or fight for or strive to follow the tenets of... they are a hollow, pointless choice for a character to make... Of course this is what makes tham all equally valid in 4e's cosmology, since they affect nothing.

As far as PoL and civilization vs. "the darkness" (whatever this means)... I find it slightly simplistic and, contrary to permeton's claims... even more suited to the exploration style of play. YMMV of course.

EDIT: I'm curious, how can you have "the darkness" which in and of itself implies something unknown and yet everything is fully transparent to the players for rich thematic-conflict play???

See this is the funny thing, IMO... 4e has really made each of their alignments truly and utterly meaningless. They are no longer cosmic forces one can align themselves with or fight for or strive to follow the tenets of... they are a hollow, pointless choice for a character to make... Of course this is what makes tham all equally valid in 4e's cosmology, since they affect nothing.

As far as PoL and civilization vs. "the darkness" (whatever this means)... I find it slightly simplistic and, contrary to permeton's claims... even more suited to the exploration style of play. YMMV of course.

EDIT: I'm curious, how can you have "the darkness" which in and of itself implies something unknown and yet everything is fully transparent to the players for rich thematic-conflict play???

Evil in 4E isn't slitting your neighbor's throat for 5gp or kicking his dog. Evil is the forces of chaos, destruction and death. Evil isn't the cosmic force, darkness is, and no your alignment doesn't really have any cosmic meaning as per the rules. As far as PoL and simplistic, I disagree wholeheartedly, as it allows for shades of grey that don't fit anywhere in the old alignment wheel. For example, I'd include the god Bane as part of civilization as opposed to the darkness, not to mention one of the most compelling figures of 4E, the Raven Queen, who does not cleanly fit anywhere on the Great Wheel.

The darkness isn't really an unknown, its the end/goal, as in bring down the world into darkness and death. It isn't something you can't see, its something you're trying to prevent from happening. In addition, there is a change in the nature of evil. In previous editions, evil was part of the great wheel. In 4E, evil is wrong, an abomination, an affront against creation. It makes for a more epic conflict.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Thanks for clarifying. My answer - 4e's mythology is built in broad brushtrokes and is transparent to the players (for example, significant chunks of it are set out in the PHB, in the discussions of gods, races and classes, and more big chunks are found in the sidebars in the Powers books - and the Monster Manual is full of more bits of it that players can learn by making skill checks). It has few nooks and crannies, few secrets (an attempt was made to keep Tharizdun secret from players, but that seems to have been abandoned).

It's also transparent to the GM - the MM entries are full of information linking various potential antagonists back to that same core mythology.

So suppose the part of the mythology you're interested in is Orcus vs the Raven Queen. There's no great backstory to discover here - the reasons for their hostility are front and centre! What that mythology does is not to support exploration of secret histories and the like, but to support conflicts to be set up and resolved in the course of play: "OK - as he is walking down the corridor, your paladin of the Raven Queen sees a statue of Orcus. You can sense it is imbued with necrotic power. What do you do?" The emphasis is not on mysteries to be uncovered, but rather situations to be resolved.

The treatment of journeying into deep myth in The Plane Above is similar: mythology is not something to be discovered, but an impetus to and even a site of adventure (ie the very thing that Shemska was critical of upthread!).

Even if you don't agree, or don't agree entirely, or think it's much more a matter of degree than I'm suggesting in my rather absolute characterisation, I hope the above at least makes clear what it is that I am asserting.

I now have a better understanding of what you were saying.

I am not quite sure what to think. For me, I believe my perception may be somewhat skewed due to the group I normally game with. During our time with 3rd Edition, most of them knew the game enough that The Greet Wheel would be transparent in the same way you are describing the new cosmology to be. In contrast, while I do understand the assertion you are making concerning that the 4E books seem to reference the mythology of the game more openly, I do not believe there has been as much effort from the collective group put into learning that mythology; many of them are not aware of much of the mythology behind 4E beyond who the new gods are and some general information about them.

This thread has caused me to consider my tastes. I personally highly prefer sword & sorcery style play, but I also highly prefer the more mythic feel behind the new cosmology. I am unsure what to make of that in light of some of the assertions that The Great Wheel was better for S&S. I am also unsure where exactly that places me in the grand scheme of things during the debate(s) taking place here.

As an aside, it is also my opinion that not much of the sense of wonder nor the somewhat primal points of light feel I took away from reading the preview books (Worlds and Monsters; Races and Classes) made it into the final product of the game.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Because D&D attracts an irrational degree of brand loyalty, I think it is plausible that PF has "stolen" sales from 4e - in that there are probably some people playing PF who, if it didn't exist, would have migrated to 4e not because it is a better game for their purposes but because they would stick with D&D, in whatever incarnation, rather than shift to a game that would be better for their purposes.
Probably a fair assessment.

(I realise that the analysis in the previous paragraphs is treating PF as an edition of D&D. I take that to go without saying. Heck, it's the whole foundation of PF's marketing and raison d'etre. Also, I don't think the mechanism works the other way - I don't think there are many who transitioned from 3E to 4e out of brand loyalty even though 3E better suits their desired playstyle, precisely because PF has succeeded in capturing many RPGers brand loyalty to D&D.)
Also a fair assessment. Add in some folks feeling that the approach to the new game was a kind of betrayal of trust.... *Shrug* True or not, it didn't help.

Another way in which PF may be "stealing" customers is if new recruits, who don't particularly care about system but who are interested in fantasy RPGing, get inducted into PF rather than 4e play. (Of course, 4e may equally be "stealing" customers from PF via the same means.)
On this I wish both games all the luck in the world! :) New recruits are growth, and hope for the future. It is why I was disappointed that the 4e Essentials starter box did not do all that well locally. Hopefully the Pathfinder Beginner Box will fare better, even if some later switch to 4e.

Was the OGL a mistake? Personally, I feel that on balance the OGL was a commercial error on WotC's part. Indeed, some of the accounts of the origins of the OGL suggest that it was a deliberately non-commercial decision, designed to keep D&D "in the hands of the fans" in perpetuity (although Dancey clearly also thought that it was commercially sound).
From my personal view - the OGL is what brought me back into the game. :) It reminded me of the very beginnings of RPGs, and the cottage industries that popped up. The result was the game growing in new directions and along paths that the creators did not foresee.

But Paizo and PF isn't just about the OGL. The OGL is a necessary condition, but not sufficient. The other remarkable thing about Paizo and PF has been its ability to capture the goodwill that WotC enjoyed in respect of the D&D brand. There seem to be a number of factors here - Dragon and Dugneon, Paizo's hosting of the PDFs, Paizo's staff being drawn heavily (almost entirely?) from ex-WotC staff, etc. From Paizo's point of view, this is an extraordinary coup. From WotC's point of view it's a disaster, and I would have thought a significant failure of management.
I agree there - add the fact that WotC charged full price for PDFs of 3.X, and, after being surprised by the piracy of overpriced PDFs killed PDFs entirely. Paizo charges a fifth of the price for the PDF of their core, and likely either have less piracy or are willing to take that loss.

It's easy for me to belief that the online debates have helped Paizo in this coup, but then given that my knowledge of the whole situation is entirely from those online debates, I may be giving them undue weight.
I have been a witness to these arguments in person as well as online - it is even less fun hearing two gamers yelling at each other in person than it is over the interweb.

I don't know if I count as a 4e avenger (as opposed to a 4e liker) or not.
Maybe, a little. But you are fun to argue with, rarely repeat inside of a single thread, and are sometimes willing to back down from insupportable positions. There are much, much worse. (My definition pretty much comes down to a vocal defense of your chosen game. But definitions vary. Some go beyond 4eAvenger and into Br4t.)

I, on the other hand fail to understand why some feel that Grognard is an insult.... :p (I started gaming with Avalon Hill boardgames and GDW System 7 Napoleonics.) There are changes that I embrace (fire good!) and others that I resist or reject completely.

I embraced the changes in Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide, but rejected the changes of 4e, as an example.

I've got no insight into the market share issue other than what I read online. I gather the figures that are mentioned don't include DDI. But I also gather that they don't include Paizo's subscribers, and I gather Paizo has a large subscriber base.
As I said, I would be willing to believe that 4e has more players, but that they are either DDi subscribers, sharing a subscription, or are happy with what they have and don't feel the need to buy more.

But anyway, given the apparent unpopularity of 4e among many posters, I've got no particular reason to be sceptical of the sales figures. They don't alter the fact that I personally have no interest in playing 3E/PF. I GMed a Rolemaster game through 10 years of stagnation and decline for ICE, and could equally happily GM 4e through a similar sort of period on the part of WotC (were it to occur).
Play the game(s) that you like. :) I like Pathfinder, and, since the APG came out, I actually like it more than I did 3.5.

I think that WoTC needs to restructure a bit, rethink their approach, and really, really needs to work on making worthwhile adventures. (A sore point - it was a problem in 3.5, and has not gone away.)

What does cause me frustration is the apparent inability of some posters to explain why they don't enjoy 4e in terms other than the impossibility of playing it as a serious RPG. This inability can manifest itself crudely - "4e is a tactical skirmish game" - or subtlely - "4e is rules first rather than fiction first". But it is annoying. And a lot of it seems to be based on ignorance of the trends in RPG design that have fairly obviously shaped 4e's design (like Maelstrom Storytelling, HeroWars/Quest, Burning Wheel, etc). Whether or not one likes these games, they are pretty clearly RPGs. So is 4e.
It is worth noting, perhaps, that some of those influences are also waning. :( (And given the choice between Hero Quest and Rune Quest 2 or 3, I will take either version of Rune Quest, thank you.)

Some of it may just come down to not being able to articulate what they don't like. As an example, I really do not like the 'tactical skirmish game' aspect of combat. I do not say that that is the only reason that I do not like 4e, but it is one of the ways that is easiest to describe.

I do not like building the game around the encounter as a unit of time. (Hopefully that came out in an understandable fashion....) I like the day.

I really do not like healing surges, or the way it seems that every class covers all areas to some degree, what some call the 'homogeneity' of classes. They may do things in different ways, and to different levels of effectiveness, but....

And then you get stuff like "4e's rulebooks don't discuss roleplaying" even though there are multiple pages of such discussion in the opening sections of the PHB - far more than in Gygax's PHB - and the DMG puts forward as the preferred model of scenario design player-initiated quests. Or "fiction doesn't matter in 4e" despite the obvious indications to the contrary in the DMG's discussion of how powers affect objects.
Here, I again agree with you - I think that reputation was 'earned' by the pre-release books rather than the actual game books.

Those books shaped people's opinions of the forthcoming game, and not entirely in a good way.

Those preview books had me hating the game before it even appeared. I was willing to give it a try, but as I was already antipathetic towards the game, it was likely a waste of time. My mind was already turned against it by the lead up to the game. And I would say that a lot of folks did not bother looking at the game itself in the wake.

Certainly the 4e books themselves address role playing. I disagree with some, and dislike the handling of skill challenges, but the focus is there.

It's very frustrating. Partly because it creates unhelpful noise and distractions in conversation. Partly because it is needlessly hostile. Partly because it gets in the way of serious discussions about genuine differences in playstyles, and the range of mechanical tools and GMing and playing techniques that can be used to support them.
Frustrating from both sides, actually. There are some 4e avengers who can raise my hackles because they keep repeating the same arguments, refuse to look at contradicting evidence, or are just plain crazy! :p

Rational debate is much more entertaining, and less likely to get me banned. :)

I have a different impression from yours as to the degree and efficacy of quashing, but that may be my bias.
I know that I am much more likely to notice comments by Br4ts than similarly antagonistic posts by Grognards (need a better insulting term for overly combative 3.X/PF fans... I consider Grognard a compliment).

But like I said above, I would find the atmosphere less poisonous if there was less of "4e is a tactical skirmish game" or "4e doesn't support roleplaying" and more of "Here's what I want from a game, here's how I like to approach it, here are the tools that have and haven't worked for me, who's got any new ideas?" It's possible to talk about differences - and even differences about which one cares - without using pejorative language. Even if I prefer strawberry to chocolate, I might still be capable of talking about how to turn a tasty chocolate-based desert into a tasty strawberry-based desert without feeling the need to constantly describe the chocolate-based one as a "turd-based desert".
Agreed. I generally try to strike that balance, but something brushes my fur the wrong way, my hackles rise, and my inner war troll lumbers down from the mountain. :erm: My 'Ignore' list has increased in size largely to avoid my need to shoulder my warclub. I don't think that I used it at all before 4e... (and it is not just f4natics on my Ignore list).

The Auld Grump, N3rds? No.... Ah! J3rks!

*EDIT* Grogn3rds!

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I personally highly prefer sword & sorcery style play, but I also highly prefer the more mythic feel behind the new cosmology. I am unsure what to make of that in light of some of the assertions that The Great Wheel was better for S&S.
I personally prefer high fantasy to sword and sorcery. But I don't understand in what sense The Great Wheel was superior for S&S. Planescape strikes me as not very S&S-ish. I gather that Eberron may be better for S&S, because (as I understand it) it deemphasises the otherplanar beings (gods, devils etc) and emphasises their mortal servants, and the fallibility of those servants.

I also don't understand the notion that The Great Wheel does Lovecraft better. 4e has a Far Realm, Slaads, Star Pact warlocks, etc. And Tharizdun and the Abyss.

Maybe the thought is that in The Great Wheel the planes are an immensity of multiple infinities that noone can comprehend. Whereas in 4e an Epic PC can hope to conquer them! Which to my mind might make The Great Wheel more Lovecraftian, but would make 4e more S&S (although in slighly gonzo mode).

not much of the sense of wonder nor the somewhat primal points of light feel I took away from reading the preview books (Worlds and Monsters; Races and Classes) made it into the final product of the game.
I didn't get as strong a vibe from R&C as W&M, but thought W&M was one of the best D&D books for GMs I've ever read. I think the 4e DMG would have been a lot stronger if it had incorporated and built on the ideas presented in W&M about how to use story elements to drive the game.

pemerton

Legend
AuldGrump, thanks for the reply!

I, on the other hand fail to understand why some feel that Grognard is an insult.... :p (I started gaming with Avalon Hill boardgames and GDW System 7 Napoleonics.) There are changes that I embrace (fire good!) and others that I resist or reject completely.

I embraced the changes in Pathfinder's Advanced Player's Guide, but rejected the changes of 4e, as an example.

<snip>

And given the choice between Hero Quest and Rune Quest 2 or 3, I will take either version of Rune Quest, thank you
To me, all of this makes sense. If you prefer 3E/PF to 4e, that suggests a preference for mechanics that pay more attention to simulation and less to the metagame. And Runequest is, in my view, the paragon of metagame-free systems.

Classic Traveller comes close, but in hand-to-hand combat in Traveller the player can choose to split the weapon bonus between attack and parry (like RM) - and this sort of scope for player intervention can let in the thin edge of the metagaming wedge. RQ, by having a separate parry skill, doesn't even allow this. Such an austere game! (And games like Rolemaster, HERO etc don't even come close in austerity. Leaving aside the scope for player input into the action resolution mechanics, there is so much room for metagaming at the PC build stage.)

I love RQ from a distance, but I think it is too austere for me to actually enjoy playing it as more than an occasional one-off.

Jack99

Adventurer
Oooohhh, I don't know... say if Mike Mearls decided to brag about how the first print run of a game sold out faster (to distributors) than a previous edition did. Do you mean bragging about something like that?

The difference between what Mearls did and what Stevens did is this:

Mearls: We are very happy with the improvements: We have increased our sales.

Stevens: We are number 1, we are number 1, we are number 1. We are beating D&D and we are very happy about it.

Now, it might not be her intention, or again, it might, but going by how 4e fans have reacted, it sure seems as if that was how it was received.

Personally, I couldn't care less. I also think that the 4e fans who attack her statements are overreacting, much like the 3.x fans who went ballistic about a certain podcast. She is doing her job, and has achieved great things. Maybe the phrasing wasn't the smartest, but hey, we can all write and say things that come out differently than we wanted them to.

Anyway, since you guys are so happy about conspiracy theories regarding WotC, I will leave you with one about Paizo, just for a change.

Paizo need this, Paizo wants the edition war live and well. They have a good thing, but as mentioned earlier, the D&D brand loyalty is huge, and maybe, just maybe they are scared that if 5e comes out and is awesome(tm), they will find themselves without a significant chunk of their following. A healthy edition war keeps reminding their followers that they are (were) pissed at WotC.

pemerton

Legend
I'd include the god Bane as part of civilization as opposed to the darkness, not to mention one of the most compelling figures of 4E, the Raven Queen, who does not cleanly fit anywhere on the Great Wheel.
Agreed on Bane. Other Evil gods fit in here, too. One of the PCs in my game is a wizard/invoker of Erathis, Ioun and Vecna - as best I understand the idea, it is that Vecna is right to think that secrets are important, but misunderstands the nature of their importance - one key to civilisation is that the right sort of information be known by, or kept from, the right people. (And interestingly, at the present juncture of the campaign, the whole party, including this PC, are working hard to keep a whole lot of historical information secret from an NPC wizard who is himself a Vecna cultist.)

I think Asmodeus and Tiamat, and perhaps even Zehir, can also be read in this sort of way.

The Raven Queen is very prominent in my game because one of the PCs is a paladin of hers, and another a Ranger-Cleric. The paladin see himself as an agent of death, and is very harsh in his attitude towards those who "count" (PCs, important NPCs etc) but protective of the innocent masses. The ranger-cleric sees himself more as an agent of fate than of death.

Presumably, in Planescape such a god would live on Concordant Opposition, or by N(E) and live in Hades. I personally tend to feel that that dilutes the thematic power of the god, by making the alignment of the home plane the more significant setting element.

I don't think it would change your view of Planescape either way.
I don't think it would make me want to play it, no. I don't want to play Nicotine Girls either, although it's a narrativist-oriented game with a strong endgame mechanic, which is the sort of thing I'm into.

But hearing from an actual Planescape narrativist could certainly help me get a better handle on how Planescape could be used for narrativist play, because at present I'm really not seeing it. (Similarly, I used to have a lot of trouble seeing how 4e could be used without drifting for gamist play, given its XP and treasure rules - LostSoul, for example, has had to change these rules quite a bit to support his gamist 4e game - but then [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION] came along and showed me how 4e supports reasonably light-hearted "Cool move, dude!" gamism. I don't think I'm especially close-minded in this department.)

I look at the racial section and there is information on the cultures, lands, religions, alignment tendencies, names, etc. for the players to read that all tie them to 3.5's default world.
Except that is a default world with no history and no conflict. (At least in 3E. I'm assuming that the 3.5 PHB doesn't differ much from the original version in this respect.)

There is nothing equivalent (at least that I recall) to the dwarves' captivity in the hands of the giants, the conflict between dragonborn and tieflings, the sundering of the elves between the Feywild and the world, the rise and fall of Nerath, etc. And the point of this stuff isn't that it's good literature - of course it's pretty trite as fiction. It's job isn't to be good fiction in itself - it's to seed conflict in game, in play. This is what 4e provides out of the box.

There is a chapter that discusses alignment, the gods (with some animosities cited like the one between Hextor & Heironeous or Corellon and Gruumsh).
Corellon and Gruumsh as enemies is there, yes. This is perhaps the clearest example of what I'm talking about - if I choose to play an elf cleric then right away I'm thrusting myself into a situation where dramatic things can happen - all it takes is some orcs to appear on the horizon.

Hextor and Heironeous is weaker, in my view, because there is no typical monster type that is, by default, associated with Heironeous. 4e's use of Bane is much stronger in this regard, because of the way goblins and hobgoblins are set up as worshippers of Bane.

The monsters in the MM are certainly tied to the default world, I mean the descriptions hint at the conceits of the world. Just by reading the Basilisk entry I know that the wealthy in this world sometimes keep them as pets, or that Archons come from Celestia and Demons are native to the Abyss. What exactly are you missing in 3.5 that you get in 4e?
This does not, on its own, establish a conflict between any PC and any potential antagonist. What sort of PC is the "natural enemy" of a basilisk - dwarves, perhaps? The rulebooks don't say. Are demons the enemies of all mortal beings? Well, sort of, except that many mortal beings are chaotic evil, and so allied with them - how exactly does that work?

Of course there are answers - every D&D GM has thought about how to handle the relationship between the Chaotic Evil thug on the street corner, the like-aligned servants of Demogorgon, and then the demon lords and princes themselves. But establishing these anwsers, and having the players work their way through them, itself shifts the focus from the pursuit of conflict to exploring the world.

Maybe this is because you are not looking at the complete package?

<snip>

Again check out the Planar Handbook or even the actual Planescape campaign setting (which if I am not mistaken, and I could be, I find extremely odd you are comparing if in fact you have never actually read it.)
I don't own it, no. I don't buy things I suspect I'm not going to use or enjoy. I think I've got a reasonable working knowledge of it's basic conceits, though.

IMO, the planes symetry seems very much based around being a backdrop for thematic conflict
My view is that they already resolve that conflict. That is, they already tell the participants in the game who/what is good, and who/what is evil. Like much of post-classic D&D play, and especially 2nd ed D&D play, it's high concept simulationist. The setting answers certain thematic or genre questions, and the purpose of play is to explore those answers, but not to push against them. Without significant drifting, for example, it would make no sense in a Planescape game for the players to commit their PCs to proving that the Upper Planes are really wickedness incarnate, and true salvation lies with the Lower Planes.

while the players themselves need look no further than the Planar Handbook and the races, heritage feats, faction prestige classes and so on to build a character that expresses the type of thematic conflict they wish to explore or engage in if they want that to be the focus of play.
I don't know the Planar Handbook very well, although I think I've read it (it's 3E or 3.5, yes?). From how you describe it, it sounds like PCs could be built that would be thematically loaded, if the backstory of the campaign setting supported that. My comments are directed primarily at that backstory.

I don't think Planescape gives credence to the fact that all beliefs have the same metaphysical weight. What Planescape says is that in order to give these beliefs metaphysical weight it will cost you blood, sweat, and tears. You are all opposing philosophers with blades and the actual chance to make sure your beliefs affect the multiverse or fail trying... at leats IMO.
But does a Planescape game test those beliefs? Does it challenge a paladin's conviction that Mount Celestia is at the heart of all that is worthy and good?

My impression is that it doesn't - that it begins with the thematic questions settled, rather than in play. Again, accounts of actual narrativist play in Planescape would be interesting here.

Sooo, because the Angel and Devil aren't in an out and out brawl... they aren't in conflict. this seems like a lack of imagination on your part.
Tell me more about the conflict you have in mind here.

My own feeling is that this sort of stuff - which suggests that "the dark of things" (have I got my cant right? I mean the truth) is primarily under the GM's purview, and not transparent to the players - pushes play away from the players' making their own thematic statements, and towards the players exploring the GM's own views on the matter (such as, for example, "What is the nature of moral conflict such that an angel can drink in a bar with a devil without feeling morally compromised?")

How do 4e's rules, in any way, set this "expectation". This sounds more like you read the 4e fluff and liked it so you came up with a cool adventure hook... which I might add would work just as well in 3.5. But nothing in the PHB Ranger class or the PHB Elf race even hints at this. Is there even a mechanic that would allow a player to do this?
How do 4e's rules set this expectation? Via the Epic Destiny mechanics, which are a core part of PC build. Because The Plane Above discusses journeying into deep myth (which is what 4e calls heroquesting) over a page or so - leaving the mechanics loose, but (from memory) canvassing both Rituals and skill challenges as avenues for doing so.

Would it work as well in 3E? Well, 3E doesn't have Epic Destinies, and seems to maintain a stricter boundary between the mortal and the divine. Related to this, 3E does not present the present world as a consequence of past mythical events - whereas this is central to 4e (and not unique to 4e, of course - Glorantha is the first RPG setting I know of to use this idea - hence why I have in the past talked about The Plane Above of completing the Glorantha-fication of D&D). 3E also doesn't have quite the same default orientation towards "one off" or esoteric magic as does 4e - there's more of a vibe that magical effects should be explicable (even if via the item creation rules) as consequences of either arcane or divine spells.

Again, if anyone has run a 3E heroquesting campaign it would be interesting to hear about it.

The thing is I could run a nooks and crannies exploration just as easily in 4e as in 3.5.
Perhaps, although personally I have my doubts - 4e's core action resolution mechanics (eg skill challenges - and I have in mind here especially some of the skill challenge ideas in The Plane Below and The Demonomicon) don't support this approach as well, because they favour glossing over detail that is not part of the framing of an encounter, whereas nooks and crannies play tends to favour attention to detail for its own sake.

You do realize that everything that happens in Planescape once play starts is up to the individual players right? Who said you can't try to drive all the fiends from Sigil... and succeed if you are clever enough. Who said there isn't a way to overthrow the Lady of Pain? but also who said that whatever you decide to do will succeed. Where others have just accepted the Lady's rule...just the act of trying to overthrow her is a meaningful choice.
I don't doubt it's up to the players. I mean, everything is up to the players in a Classic Traveller game, too, but if someone wanted to play a narrativist game Classic Traveller isn't the first place that I'd suggest they start - I'm sure someone has drifted the random trade goods chart in a narrativist direction, but I'm personally at a bit of a loss as to how this might be done.

Part of the issue is the story elements that are available to the players, and the degree of control they have over the meaning that they bear. I feel that Planescape - with its nooks and crannies, its convoluted metaplot, its "ah, but what's the dark of it" nod-and-wink to the GM's secrets - is more interested in settling the thematic issues before play rather than in the course of it.

As always, actual play accounts of narrativist Planescape would help here!

4e has really made each of their alignments truly and utterly meaningless. They are no longer cosmic forces one can align themselves with or fight for or strive to follow the tenets of... they are a hollow, pointless choice for a character to make... Of course this is what makes tham all equally valid in 4e's cosmology, since they affect nothing.
It's not that they're all equally valid in 4e's cosmology. Rather, it's that it's up to the participants in the game to work out what they mean. Meaning is to be worked out in play - not settled prior to play. That, for me, is the difference between 4e and Planescape.

It comes through in so many little things - like the suggestion that an unaligned mercenary might worship Bane as the god of soldiering, or that a dragonborn invoker might serve both Bahamut and Tiamat. In 3E, with it's system of mechanical alignment, neither of these options is viable in the same way (supplicating Hextor would itself be an evil act, tending to drift the supplicant from neutrality, and simultaneously worhsipping Heironeous and Hextor would be incoherent).

As far as PoL and civilization vs. "the darkness" (whatever this means)... I find it slightly simplistic and, contrary to permeton's claims... even more suited to the exploration style of play.
Maybe you misunderstand what I mean by exploration. I'm not talking about exploration of the fictional world by the PCs - a fantasy story about imaginary Sir Francis Drakes and Captain Cooks. I'm talking about exploration of the fiction by the players as participants in the game. What the Forge calls "simulationism". One reason PoL doesn't support this sort of exploration-focused play is that the relevant fiction doesn't exist (unless the GM does a lot of work to flesh it out). It's a collection of hints about situations, ripe with conflict, that the players might engage via their PCs.

I'm curious, how can you have "the darkness" which in and of itself implies something unknown and yet everything is fully transparent to the players for rich thematic-conflict play???
Because the sotry elements - the building blocks - are transparent, but where they lead to in play is not known until play occurs. This is the essence of narrativist play.

I've been reading the Burning Wheel Adventure Burner recently, and it's a very good read for the 4e GM. And it talks in similar terms about the BW lifepaths - they imply a default setting, of a gritty faux-medieval world with great contrasts of wealth and poverty, slaves and princes, faithful priests and sneering bishops, village witches and mad summoners. But what the players and GM do with this world - what it means, what is ultimately good in life - is left to be resolved in the course of play.

The "lifepaths" of a 4e PC are far less gritty and far more epic than in BW - less Conan, more Silmarillion (in spite of the long history of fallen empires) - but the general orientation strikes me as very similar. (And interestingly, 4e D&D is cited in the bibliography to the Adventure Burner.)

As you said, we've talked about some of this stuff before. And as is often the case, I'm curious. Are you saying that you've GMed or played in a narrativist Planescape game? If so, feel free to tell all! I'm not going to contradict you - I want to hear about how you did it. (For example, how did you handle alignment? In my mind mechanical alignment is the number one obstacle to narrativist play in the traditional D&D mechanics. When I've GMed narrativist AD&D we've just dropped alignment altogether. But I don't see how that could be done in a Planescape game.)

Or, if you haven't GMed narrativist Planescape, then I'm puzzled as to how you can be so confident that it can be done. To be honest, I don't get the impression from your posts that you are into narrativist play (I could be wrong though - I seem to recall that you play HeroQuest). And if you're not into narrativist play, why does it matter to you that someone who is has views about what systems and what settings offer better or worse support for it?

IronWolf

blank
The difference between what Mearls did and what Stevens did is this:

Mearls: We are very happy with the improvements: We have increased our sales.

Stevens: We are number 1, we are number 1, we are number 1. We are beating D&D and we are very happy about it.

I thought I had kept up pretty good and seen the threads she initially posted in in the Paizo forums. She certainly didn't seem to come out like you've attributed to her above. Even in podcasts from seminars at GenCon where they talk about ICv2 a bit, she is proud of the company, but certainly not in your face about it.

Jack99 said:
Now, it might not be her intention, or again, it might, but going by how 4e fans have reacted, it sure seems as if that was how it was received.

Personally, I couldn't care less. I also think that the 4e fans who attack her statements are overreacting, much like the 3.x fans who went ballistic about a certain podcast. She is doing her job, and has achieved great things. Maybe the phrasing wasn't the smartest, but hey, we can all write and say things that come out differently than we wanted them to.

Ah - we might be closer to the same page than I thought, though I am not sure her phrasing was as inflammatory as some would like to suggest. But I agree with you that attacking the statements (3.x fans or 4e fans) isn't productive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads