• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cancelling games over absent player(s)

When do you cancel a game?

• If 1 player is absent

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • If 2 or more players are absent

Votes: 58 67.4%
  • Never! As long as there are players and a DM, we play

Votes: 18 20.9%

I have a group of six players. So we cancel on 3 people missing only. It is a fairly big group but we have a lot of fun. On my group of five we cancel at two.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
At the start of a campaign, i usually address player's absence and wether they want to continue or skip. We usually don't play if two or more players (or the DM) are absent :lol:

ccs

41st lv DM
We'll cancel a game when 50% of the players can't attend.
Sometimes the remaining people will get together & play board-games, sometimes not.

Li Shenron

Legend
Nowadays I typically have 3-4 players maximum, so if more than one is missing it will mean it won't be as easy and fun to play. 1 missing player is ok.

wedgeski

Adventurer
If I'm the DM and I'm available and willing to run the game, there's a game. I have 8 players. For any one session that I run, only 4 players are permitted to join. I announce the game day/time and the players work it out among themselves who will attend, which characters will be taken on the adventure, and what their goals are as a party. Sometimes players who aren't in the session observe the game and jump in to take the place of a player whose character has died.
This is a home game? So session to session, the PC's can chop and change from a roster of 8?

Shiroiken

Legend
Group size matters a lot for this. When I played in a group with 8-10 players, the only time a session was cancelled due to a missing player was when it was the DM or Host. My current group has 5-6 (two campaigns, with 1 player in only one of them), and in general, so long as we have 3 players, the session goes on. When I played in groups of 2-3 players, it was hard to have a session if someone was missing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have a group of 6 players + DM. I'll tend to run if 4 players show up. It's very rare to get all 6.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I play if I have +50% so, with the 5 or 4 players group I need 3. I can tolerate 2 and 1 absences respectively.
I tell all my players that they can give their character sheets. I they don't or can't because they didn't know at the time they could give me the sheets their characters are going to be in the background and will not receive xp. On the other way other player play the character, he can die but will receive xp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads