D&D 5E Cantrip nerf (house rule brainstorm)

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Hello all,

A bugbear about 5e (for me at least) was the idea of unlimited spammable cantrips for casters. To us 'get off my lawn' grognards, this seems a touch excessive.

I had an idea for a nerf I wanted to brainstorm - Each cantrip can only be cast a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. Recover all uses upon short rest.

And discuss...

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Hello all,

A bugbear about 5e (for me at least) was the idea of unlimited spammable cantrips for casters. To us 'get off my lawn' grognards, this seems a touch excessive.

I had an idea for a nerf I wanted to brainstorm - Each cantrip can only be cast a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. Recover all uses upon short rest.

And discuss...
If you allow/require a short rest to refresh your cantrips, every encounter will be followed by a short rest.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
How about # of cantrips known + Proficiency bonus; recoup on a long rest?
A 1st level wizard could cast 5 cantrips

Arcane recovery: recoup # of cantrips divided by 2 rounded down
A 1st level wizard can recoup 2 cantrips

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
If you allow/require a short rest to refresh your cantrips, every encounter will be followed by a short rest.

That's already a thing, so nothing really changes. But prolonged encounters, and prolonged periods between resting opportunities will make those casters think about resource management.

If you want to nerf cantrips, I would just remove the improved damage with improved caster level. A spamable at-will cantrip with basic damage is roughly equivalent to stop to cast spells and attack with a weapon, but more thematic to a caster.

I'm okay with the scaling, it's the spamming that I have issue with. Running out of uses necessitates variety, as well as non-magic backup options.

Casters can cast a number of cantrips equal to their Int score per short rest, or suffer a level of exhaustion

Weapon users can make a number of weapon attacks equal to their Con score per short rest, or suffer a level of exhaustion.

What? If you want to limit at will abilities, limit at will abilities.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
So casters can attack each round just like any other class, and that's bad?
The whole point is not to have A: Let the Wizard rest, or B: I'll just be setting here the next hour or so while you guys play, scenarios. A caster casting is no different than an arrow or sword swing in this regard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases