Capoeira?

DorkOrc

First Post
When creating the monk class, it's pretty obvious that the minds behind Dungeons and Dragons were thinking of a class of Asian martial artists. I happen to be a fan of this class and found it to make for interesting play when I put a monk in my friend's semi-post apocalyptic campaign setting (Think "Six-String Samurai").

But recently it occured to me that there were more forms of martial arts than those found in Asia. Capoeira was the first to come to mind. So I set out to make a Capoeirista prestige class when I found that lo and behold... I didn't need to. All the ingredients to make a Capoeirista are there in the original monk class. All they really need are high perform and tumble skills. Weapons are not normally used in capoeira since it would be hard to do all those cartwheels and flips with a sword in your hand. And most Capoeiristas own instruments like a Birembau.

I'm just bringing it up because I've never seen it used in a campaign before. Am I the only one to think of this?

Crothian

First Post
I have seen Capoeira used in a campaign, it just wasn't a D&D campaign. It was Ninja's and Superspies.

I think that the monk is close to Capoeira, but it would need ways to combine the tumbling with the attacks. For instance I think a special manuvuer that uses the Tumble skill would give the erquivilent of Reach 10' for trip attacks. This would make a good feat.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Feat

Unarmed Ranged attack Dex 13, Unarmed combat
5' is added to the normal range of an unarmed attack

I've played a ninja monk, a Kalaripajit(sp) monk (Dhalsim from Street Fighter series) and a Sumo Monk using the above feat various trip feats and various other combat feats and 'spell abilities'

Crothian

First Post
Nice feat, I'd require it as a full round action with a successful tumble check (DC20). THis way all monks don't have reach for all their unarmed attacks.

dvvega

Explorer
I've practice Capoeira myself and I can say that although it's a very acrobatic style, with a lot of foot techniques, you still use other parts of your body.

Headbutting is quite common in some of the techniques. Its more of a style with avoidance than blocking (the WIS AC bonus suits this).

The Monk class is perfectly suited to almost any Martial Art out there.

As to weapons, Capoeira uses large machettes (used for cutting sugar cane in the fields) for some performances, and you can cartwheel on one hand (some of the more advanced techniques).

Ma'varkith

First Post
You might also try swapping out a few of the low-level Monk abilities (such as Deflect Arrows, Still Mind, and Purity of Body) with Feats such as Dodge, Expertise, Mobility, or Improved Bull Rush to better emulate the "feel" of Capoera.

Duganson

First Post
DorkOrc,
I've seen this too. Amazingly the Monk Class is viable in almost all forms of martial arts, give or take a few fighter levels for feats.
Off the subject I created a NPC Monk that was a Sumo Wrestler. Utilizing some of the excellent feats in OA Handbook he came out quite well.

Thysl in Silver

Remove ads