D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, but then their origin makes them non-mundane, not their class.
Really though did 5e even provide for anything like that origin? They are fine with superhero class casters without any required a badass origin.
gandalf's race/species was a maiar.
Oh and Deva or whatever the new variant is call by any other name could smell as sweet (but he still is no high level D&D type)

Of course he is a mentor archetype not the hero role sheesh, we were talking potency of casters in myth and legend not being so over grand.

HammerMan

Legend
Really though did 5e even provide for anything like that origin? They are fine with superhero class casters without any required a badass origin.

Oh and Deva or whatever the new variant is call by any other name could smell as sweet (but he still is no high level D&D type)

Of course he is a mentor archetype not the hero role sheesh, we were talking potency of casters in myth and legend not being so over grand.
I can play gandalf as a Aasimar Wizard 5/Bard X (maybe a fighter level or two) and be much more badass then any level 20 fighter (year even if that X is only a 5)

HammerMan

Legend
gandalf's race/species was a maiar. Whatever level he was that's like saying eleminster was an overgod by birth. Neither is a good comparison for things players play
Gandalf was a maiar, thor was a god, Hercules a demi god superman is the last son of krypton, every hero has an origin... fighters just can't have powers or abilities equal to wizards and clerics no matter there origin in 5e

Some folks I hear discussing this topic these days take the position that Gandalf is actually a paladin. Certainly "wizards" in Tolkien's works aren't the same magic-missile-throwing folks as in regular D&D; in fact there are only five wizards in the whole of Middle Earth - and at least one of them (the 7th Doctor) is very clearly a druid.

There is a strong chance he was, maybe multiclass. I can't see a 5th level wizard, straight, winning a duel with a Balor, a feat which is conspicuously absent from the article. And I don't buy the whole "they both fell to their death and gravity killed the balrog (with 262 HP, he can survive a fall from orbit and still be more than half-healthy...) while the wizard simply cast Feather Fall and made up a story of an epic fight).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
2e PHB - count the number with divine heritage (*or claimed in the case of Alexander). Hero in Greek was literally defender but also basically meant demigod.

"The fighter is a warrior, an expert in weapons and, if he is clever, tactics and strategy.There are many famous fighters from legend: Hercules, Perseus, Hiawatha, Beowulf, Siegfried, Cuchulain, Little John, Tristan, and Sinbad. History is crowded with great generals and warriors: El Cid, Hannibal, Alexander the Great, Charlemagne, Spartacus, Richard the Lionheart, and Belisarius."

These are the character types I want my D&D fighter/warlord and similar to emulate.... so when that Wizard warps reality in huge ways (which I don't actually mind) they do not feel like sidekicks

Remove ads