D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

Asisreo

Patron Badass
DO you play 5e? they never run out. They have cantrips that scale with level now. (even then past level 5 they will rarly run out)
Yeah, because the designers didn't want a player to be completely useless in combat, especially I'd they played as well as they could have.

So I'm well aware that Wizards don't really run out, and that's by design. But they do run out of specific spells that require higher-level slots.

Fighter and Ranger. But what one considers "superheroic" is a matter of opinion. For me (focusing on "non-magical features"):

Barbarian: Indomitable Might, Primal Champion
The first is just having a high baseline, it doesn't let them go above and beyond. It's pretty much super-advantage. The second lets them break mundane bounds - but only by about 20%. For me the Heroic tier is anything I'd see in Hollywood action movies or non-supernatural martial arts movies rather than real life. Indiana Jones and John McClane aren't superheroes for example. Nor is the average Jackie Chan character even if no one could actually take the punishment Jackie's characters do.

Indomitable Might and Primal Champion are not to me remotely outside the bounds I'd see in an action movie for a character whose schtick is strength.
Fighter: ---
Monk: Timeless Body
Utterly irrelevant in play especially in a world with elves. A human with timeless body will remain in their prime for less time than an elf without it. Improved unarmoured movement letting them run on water on the other hand to me does push them over the line.
Paladin: Divine Health
Seriously? I'd have accepted Lay On Hands. But Divine Health isn't to me remotely in the realms of superheroism.
Ranger: --- (maybe Vanish... but it is a stretch IMO)
Ah, the PHB ranger, the class weak enough they fixxed it. But seriously, rangers have spells.
Rogue: Reliable Talent, Stroke of Luck
Again Reliable talent is super-advantage. I'd consider e.g. most of the Leverage crew to have it. It's in the Heroic "Hollywood action movie but no actual superpowers" rather than the superheroic tier.
Right, but then their origin makes them non-mundane, not their class.
A wizard's origin is normally "Somebody taught them" and sometimes "They went to the library". If that's all it takes then every single fighter who wants should be able to pass this bar. They can have teachers and they can read.

And if the wizard's origin is "semi demi hemi god" then that should be open to fighters as well. The actual innate magical origins in 5e belong to sorcerers.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The first is just having a high baseline, it doesn't let them go above and beyond. It's pretty much super-advantage. The second lets them break mundane bounds - but only by about 20%. For me the Heroic tier is anything I'd see in Hollywood action movies or non-supernatural martial arts movies rather than real life. Indiana Jones and John McClane aren't superheroes for example. Nor is the average Jackie Chan character even if no one could actually take the punishment Jackie's characters do.
I agree those examples are heroic (what I want), not superheroic (what you want).

Indomitable Might and Primal Champion are not to me remotely outside the bounds I'd see in an action movie for a character whose schtick is strength.
Maximum human STR is 20, Primal Champion allows you to be better than human, i.e. "super-human" which makes it "super heroic" IMO anyway. But as I said, what is super heroic to you is probably crazy super heroic to me. For instance, there are lots of super heroes whose shtick is strength, but many of them are stronger than others--- still, their all super heroes.

Utterly irrelevant in play especially in a world with elves. A human with timeless body will remain in their prime for less time than an elf without it.
I was more focused on the not needing food or water---which is definitely beyond human.

Improved unarmoured movement letting them run on water on the other hand to me does push them over the line.
Sure, but as I wrote I was focused on the non-magical. Now, if you want to think in terms of Chiun running on water, you just have to run "very fast". ;) Still, well beyond mundane, so super heroic.

Seriously? I'd have accepted Lay On Hands. But Divine Health isn't to me remotely in the realms of superheroism.
You are immune to all disease! How is that not a super hero power!?! :oops:

But seriously, rangers have spells.
Right, which is why it is hard to argue them as "martials", since the are half/half.

Again Reliable talent is super-advantage. I'd consider e.g. most of the Leverage crew to have it. It's in the Heroic "Hollywood action movie but no actual superpowers" rather than the superheroic tier.
Which is why I also added Stroke of Luck. :)

A wizard's origin is normally "Somebody taught them" and sometimes "They went to the library".
For some wizards, sure, but the examples were characters such as Gandalf and Merlin as well, which were non-human in origin.
And if the wizard's origin is "semi demi hemi god" then that should be open to fighters as well.
Certain non-human races, such as Goliaths, with features like powerful build, can easily place them well beyond human capabilities. Again, i.e. super human and thus the things they can do is super heroic.

So why are wizards allowed to be demigods but fighters aren't when there are a lot of fictional and mythological fighters who are demigods?
See above as to some of those examples.

And wizards aren't "allowed to be demigods", their spells give them incredible, but very limited in use, power. Martials excel elsewhere. Do I think it is on an even keel? Certainly not and I've said so repeated. Even so, spells are not the be-all end-all in the game. I've seen plenty of wizards and other casters falter when martials strive. As always, (obviously) YMMV.

And as far as I understand it, elements of Mythic Odyssey of Theros gave you the chance to be a demigod basically? I don't know as I don't own it. 🤷‍♂️

Finally, as we've covered (repeatedly), what makes a PC super heroic is a matter of opinion. I think the class features I've outlined above do many PCs super heroes. They have abilities mundane people will never have and/or can do things they can not do. Many (at mid levels) are more heroic in nature, other features (especially at higher levels) are super heroic IMO.

Again, might not be the super hero-like power you want, but its there either way as I see it.

I agree those examples are heroic (what I want), not superheroic (what you want).
The game, as shown earlier, says superheroic for the top tier. Literally half the classes in the game can cast 9th level spells - which pushes them well into the superheroic. You might house rule and level cap - but for any class not to get there is a betrayal.
Maximum human STR is 20, Primal Champion allows you to be better than human, i.e. "super-human" which makes it "super heroic" IMO anyway.
And I disagree. Maximum human STR in the game will not let you lift nearly as much as Hafthor Bjornsen can deadlift. STR 24 will also not let you lift nearly as much as Hafthor Bjornsen can deadlift. If the game were to tell you that the maximum height for a human was 6'6" and there was a class feature that let you reach 7' tall then that ability wouldn't make you super-human.
But as I said, what is super heroic to you is probably crazy super heroic to me. For instance, there are lots of super heroes whose shtick is strength, but many of them are stronger than others--- still, their all super heroes.
And how many of them can't reach the capabilities of real world athletes?
You are immune to all disease! How is that not a super hero power!?! :oops:
Fictional heroes only ever get sick when the plot dictates.

I wouldn't describe "doesn't need to go to the bathroom" as a super hero power either. It's not something real world characters can do - but it's something that seems to be an ability of (especially male) romantic comedy characters unless the comedy requires it.

If a character has the ability to turn their hair green by turning round three times and touching their toes then that is something normal humans can't do. It's also utterly useless and doesn't make that character superheroic.
Which is why I also added Stroke of Luck. :)
Which is coincidental at best.
For some wizards, sure, but the examples were characters such as Gandalf and Merlin as well, which were non-human in origin.
And Hercules was a demigod. We have fighters who are demigods in origin. So if it applies for some wizards then by the same token it should apply for some fighters.
Certain non-human races, such as Goliaths, with features like powerful build, can easily place them well beyond human capabilities. Again, i.e. super human and thus the things they can do is super heroic.
Irrelevant. This is specific to the race and doesn't change much else about the class.
And wizards aren't "allowed to be demigods", their spells give them incredible, but very limited in use, power.
"Very limited in use". At high level they can spam spells like Harry Potter. This is why I focus on the permanent ones like Wall of Stone (which becomes permanent after ten minutes) and True Polymorph (which becomes permanent after an hour). That's not "very limited in use".

And if you look at actual fictional demigods, as mentioned, Circe needed to literally poison people to polymorph them. That's far more limited than a D&D wizard. And she's one of the textbook demigod casters. Meanwhile there was the credible case that Gandalf was a fifth level wizard.

Wizards aren't "allowed to be demigods" - they all, no matter how humble and mundane their origins, when they reach high level leave fictional demigods in the dust.
Martials excel elsewhere.
The realm of the imagination I think. Possibly when fed opponents playing specifically to their strengths.

And I've shown wizards leaving fictional demigods in the dust. Martials, which are often explicitly inspired by demigods don't match them.
And as far as I understand it, elements of Mythic Odyssey of Theros gave you the chance to be a demigod basically? I don't know as I don't own it. 🤷‍♂️
While a level 17 wizard is already a super-demigod.
Finally, as we've covered (repeatedly), what makes a PC super heroic is a matter of opinion.
By your definition a character with naturally blue hair is a super hero because humans can't normally do that. I consider this definition utterly useless.
I think the class features I've outlined above do many PCs super heroes. They have abilities mundane people will never have and/or can do things they can not do. Many (at mid levels) are more heroic in nature, other features (especially at higher levels) are super heroic IMO.
Even you have accepted that this isn't the case. You have accepted that fighters aren't super heroic. Your examples of how barbarians are super heroic don't meet your bar of "more than the real world" for being super heroic.

At this point I see no point continuing. I don't believe you have anything resembling a case remaining.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
and those high level spells do things that no fighter can keep up with.
And the implication is that this isn't how it should be. But is there a reason beyond your own opinion. If it's only your opinion, why should the devs cater to it?

In other words, if you're presenting your case to a board meeting, why should devs spend resources doing what you want?

Remove ads