D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Dausuul

Legend
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Sturgeon's Law most definitely applies to movies. Therefore, the Bayesian prior--the expectation before any evidence specific to this movie is taken into account--is that this movie is 90% likely to be crap.

So far, there does not appear to be any evidence that would modify that expectation.

I mean, he's got the dragons part already with Reign of Fire, right?

2. So .... aren't you even a little curious to see Matthew McConaughey star in a D&D movie?

"It’s Thursday and it’s past noon. Thursday is one of my days off. On my days off I start drinking at noon. You don’t get to interrupt that.”

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Sturgeon's Law most definitely applies to movies. Therefore, the Bayesian prior--the expectation before any evidence specific to this movie is taken into account--is that this movie is 90% likely to be crap.

So far, there does not appear to be any evidence that would modify that expectation.

Ahhh...baseless prima face cynicism, my favorite byproduct of the internet.

Nebulous

Legend
I really have no faith that this is going to be a good movie. Although it would be easy for them to take a storyline from the past 40 years of Dungeons and Dragons and adapt to a potential franchise, I don't think they will do that.

Lylandra

Adventurer
uh, am I the only one who's skeptical about the "male lead" premise? As much as I like seeing heroes, I'm all for at least a main cast of 3 characters. Unless this is pointing to a Drizzt movie. But I guess the supposed actors are all too buff and tall to play a drow.

But I'd DEFINITELY watch a Baldur's Gate movie with Vin Diesel as Minsc. As long as he also voices Bo.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, obviously a movie that isn't even in production is going to be a total disaster. Just like The Last Jedi was a total flop if you believe the internet. Terrible really, only the top grossing movie of 2017.

It can't be any worse than the last set of movies, even though that's not really setting the bar all that high. Unlike some of Hasbro's game related movies (Battleship anyone?) it's at least a platform that could support a good movie.

Although I'd still prefer an animated series, something along the lines of what they're doing with Star Wars. Maybe the folks from Critical Role can start a franchise with their toon.

Dausuul

Legend
Ahhh...baseless prima face cynicism, my favorite byproduct of the internet.
On the contrary, I am being optimistic.

100% of past D&D movies have been crap. It is possible that this is because trying to make a D&D movie is a uniquely bad idea. However, I prefer to attribute these results to Sturgeon's Law and a small sample size. Thus, there remains a 10% chance that this movie will not be crap, and evidence specific to this movie (e.g., a top-notch writer or director) could improve those odds.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Yes, obviously a movie that isn't even in production is going to be a total disaster. Just like The Last Jedi was a total flop if you believe the internet. Terrible really, only the top grossing movie of 2017.

Selling well doesn't make a movie good from an "am I going to enjoy this movie?" standpoint. I mean, The Hobbit movies made a lot of money and, while they had some potentially good ingredients, they were really drowned under the desire to bloat out one novel into three movies. There are also acclaimed movies such as The Princess Bride which didn't sell well but instead took off later, although I don't know if that's a property of the time when it came out.

It can't be any worse than the last set of movies, even though that's not really setting the bar all that high.

Awww, Damodar is sad.

Although I'd still prefer an animated series, something along the lines of what they're doing with Star Wars. Maybe the folks from Critical Role can start a franchise with their toon.

I suspect that a series would be a lot better than a movie. D&D is really much more captured by a serial format IMO.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases