D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Hussar

Legend
Now I'm arrogant because I like different things. That's rich. We live in different worlds, I guess.

No, it's arrogance to presume that your tastes in any way, shape or form connote quality.

You can like whatever you like, that's groovy. But, pretending that the things you like somehow mean that whatever you like is "good" is not.

But, yeah, if you're just going to pull out single lines and not actually engage in anything like a discussion, we're done here. Feel free to have the last word.

If people can put the childish insults aside for a minute, it's pointless to stat talking about a "good" movie unless you first define what you mean by "good".

Oofta

Legend
If people can put the childish insults aside for a minute, it's pointless to stat talking about a "good" movie unless you first define what you mean by "good".

In addition it's also pretty pointless to make any kind of judgement about a movie that isn't even being filmed yet.

In addition, when people say things like this
I don't think money affects quality directly: they are orthogonal.

when I believe they really mean

I don't think money affects quality directly: they are orthogonal for my personal enjoyment of the movie.

it doesn't help.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
How should I be maligning Phantom Menace? I want to make sure I'm doing it right. :heh:

*Episode I Pod Racer is one of the best computer games ever made
*John Williams managed to out-do himself on "Duel of the Fates"
*"That's so wizard!"
*Ewan McGregor somehow found a way to almost salvage any scene he was involved in, which is worth props
*The way some fans personally attacked Jake Lloyd and Ahmad Best is humanity displayed at its worst
*At least it's better than Attack of the Clones?
*The droid puns were pretty good
*Everything else is garbage

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

A frickin' Lego D&D Movie? I'd see that. As would, I suspect, just about every 30+ y.o. who still loves the things they did as a 12 y.o.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

zhivik

Explorer
Regarding what the story is about, I keep wondering why anyone here presumes that the people who wrote the script have any familiarity with any D&D setting? I mean, Hollywood script writers can’t (or don’t want to) get things in our everyday life right (I am yet to see even a vaguely realistic hacking sequence in a blockbuster), so there is no reason to believe they will get what D&D is about.

In the end, the whole “D&D movie” label is pretty pointless, since it essentially means a high-fantasy story about a group of adventurers working together. It could be virtually anything, so it leaves the D&D label as nothing more than a marketing trick. It is the reason why previous attempts were rubbish, because no one really cared about story or chracters, only about the label. It is pretty much the same with films based on video games, so don’t expect anything different.

Hussar

Legend
Regarding what the story is about, I keep wondering why anyone here presumes that the people who wrote the script have any familiarity with any D&D setting? I mean, Hollywood script writers can’t (or don’t want to) get things in our everyday life right (I am yet to see even a vaguely realistic hacking sequence in a blockbuster), so there is no reason to believe they will get what D&D is about.

In the end, the whole “D&D movie” label is pretty pointless, since it essentially means a high-fantasy story about a group of adventurers working together. It could be virtually anything, so it leaves the D&D label as nothing more than a marketing trick. It is the reason why previous attempts were rubbish, because no one really cared about story or chracters, only about the label. It is pretty much the same with films based on video games, so don’t expect anything different.

Well, kinda sorta.

There's a number of pretty specifically D&D IP elements that would make a "D&D" movie. Things like beholders and mind flayers, for example. Drow is another D&D element. Sure, "Dark Elf" has made the rounds, mostly because of various MMORPG's, but, specifically Drow is a very D&D element.

I rather hope they leverage those things when making the movie. Otherwise, we're going to get something like The Dragon Prince in live action. Great show, but, not really D&D.

It's not as bad as it was when they first attempted a D&D movie. Now there are people who grew up playing D&D amongst the current crop of Hollywood writers and directors.

Remove ads

Remove ads