D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Oofta

Legend
Regarding what the story is about, I keep wondering why anyone here presumes that the people who wrote the script have any familiarity with any D&D setting? I mean, Hollywood script writers can’t (or don’t want to) get things in our everyday life right (I am yet to see even a vaguely realistic hacking sequence in a blockbuster), so there is no reason to believe they will get what D&D is about.

In the end, the whole “D&D movie” label is pretty pointless, since it essentially means a high-fantasy story about a group of adventurers working together. It could be virtually anything, so it leaves the D&D label as nothing more than a marketing trick. It is the reason why previous attempts were rubbish, because no one really cared about story or chracters, only about the label. It is pretty much the same with films based on video games, so don’t expect anything different.

We have absolutely no idea who is writing the script, how much WOTC and/or other game designers are involved, or who they are using as consultants.

That doesn't mean it will be true to the source material, they change that for inexplicable reasons all the time. I thought the most recent Tomb Raider movie was okay but it totally ignored the supernatural element for example. Why? It just became a standard action flick with a female lead. Not a bad thing, but not a TR movie.

In other words I get where you're coming from. But like all pointless speculation it's, well, pointless. At the same time, D&D has such a broad style that if they even make an effort to show a range of different character tropes it will probably never match what many people will expect to see.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
We have absolutely no idea who is writing the script, how much WOTC and/or other game designers are involved, or who they are using as consultants.

That doesn't mean it will be true to the source material, they change that for inexplicable reasons all the time. I thought the most recent Tomb Raider movie was okay but it totally ignored the supernatural element for example. Why? It just became a standard action flick with a female lead. Not a bad thing, but not a TR movie.

In other words I get where you're coming from. But like all pointless speculation it's, well, pointless. At the same time, D&D has such a broad style that if they even make an effort to show a range of different character tropes it will probably never match what many people will expect to see.

I find it funny that you though that because for me it was the other way around. I had a huge problem with the game, not the supernatural elements but all those people living on the island for all that time. What were they eating? The place was a barren wasteland, I guess the farmer in me coming to the fore. The movie made a lot more sense.

Traycor

Explorer
We have absolutely no idea who is writing the script

David Leslie Johnson wrote the script. Michael Gillio has since done a rewrite, which can mean anything from changing things up to a complete do-over from the Johnson version. It sounds as if Michael Gillio will be credited as the writer.

Oofta

Legend
I find it funny that you though that because for me it was the other way around. I had a huge problem with the game, not the supernatural elements but all those people living on the island for all that time. What were they eating? The place was a barren wasteland, I guess the farmer in me coming to the fore. The movie made a lot more sense.

Meh. I just don't think it had all that much relationship to the game other than woman climbing old WWII bombers on an island. Maybe a better example would be the DOOM movie where instead of them opening a portal to a "hell dimension" it was nanotech or something similar.

Not saying you couldn't make a sci-fi movie about an experiment gone wrong on Mars, just accept the foundation of the story for what it is.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, at this point the best D&D movie to date is Chronicles of Riddick.

There's a low bar, is what I'm saying.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just watch Chronicles if Riddick recently and enjoyed it.

2 years out no script or director is kind if bad though.

Dragonlance and Drizzt are bad ideas for a movie. I would look more at Pirates if the Caribbean. Use some D&D elements.

Unlike other franchises though that can suck up a meh movie or two D&D doesn't have that luxury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
Just watch Chronicles if Riddick recently and enjoyed it.

2 years out no script or director is kind if bad though.

Dragonlance and Drizzt are bad ideas for a movie. I would look more at Pirates if the Caribbean. Use some D&D elements.

Unlike other franchises though that can suck up a meh movie or two D&D doesn't have that luxury.

Why? D&D has already sucked up three or four horrendous D&D branded movies. A 5th one is hardly going to make any difference.

Remove ads

Remove ads