D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Zardnaar

Legend
Why? D&D has already sucked up three or four horrendous D&D branded movies. A 5th one is hardly going to make any difference.

D&D doesn't have a movie franchise so if they make a turkey they don't have anything to really fall back on. If they make a meh or crap MCU, DC or Star Wars movie you can look at the good ones and hope for the best next time around.

A 250 million dollar movie (a figure thrown around earlier) has to make 400-500 million at the box office to break even. A D&D flop probably means no more movies for a while. Its not like D&D has other things going for it either, the games have sucked, the toys are basically dead (Kreo remember that?), so yeah. D&D RPG great, D&D as a multimedia brand is lolwhut. Its basically the Nintendo Wii shovelware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
D&D doesn't have a movie franchise so if they make a turkey they don't have anything to really fall back on. If they make a meh or crap MCU, DC or Star Wars movie you can look at the good ones and hope for the best next time around.

A 250 million dollar movie (a figure thrown around earlier) has to make 400-500 million at the box office to break even. A D&D flop probably means no more movies for a while. Its not like D&D has other things going for it either, the games have sucked, the toys are basically dead (Kreo remember that?), so yeah. D&D RPG great, D&D as a multimedia brand is lolwhut. Its basically the Nintendo Wii shovelware.

LOL. It really is threads like these that make me glad that "suits" are in charge of D&D.

D&D brand is "shovelware"? Hrm. Several award winning board games. Card games. Minis lines. A couple of online games that are, by all accounts, doing well, Tales from Candlekeep game. Never minding the mountain of merchandise you can buy.

Why more do you want? Oh, right, it's the "Well, I didn't like it so, it must be a failure" argument. I'll have to remember that.

Zardnaar

Legend
LOL. It really is threads like these that make me glad that "suits" are in charge of D&D.

D&D brand is "shovelware"? Hrm. Several award winning board games. Card games. Minis lines. A couple of online games that are, by all accounts, doing well, Tales from Candlekeep game. Never minding the mountain of merchandise you can buy.

Why more do you want? Oh, right, it's the "Well, I didn't like it so, it must be a failure" argument. I'll have to remember that.

Did you miss the part where I said multimedia? Games, TV shows, movies that sort of thing. RPG is doing great and things tied to the RPG such as minis etc are doing fine.

Big bucks are in a game or movie maybe a TV show though.

Baldurs Gate (1): Child of Candlekeep.
Female lead (the 'child' exiled from Candlekeep). Vin Diesel as Minsc. Inset 2-4 other favourite BG party members to round out ensemble cast. Cover the first half of BG - leaves space for sequels. Cameo for Drizzt

I was in agreement up until that last part. Now I hate it. BOOOOO!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Really? Who?

Outside of us, who is talking about a D&D movie?

In case it’s missed your attention, geek culture is ascendant and D&D is in a massive resurgence. People are excited about engaging with this type of media. So while the general culture is not currently talking about a D&D movie (because there’s nothing to talk about really), they will once the thing starts being produced and promos/teasers start appearing. It would be unfortunate if a bad movie damaged D&Ds hardwon current cachet. That’s all.

Traycor

Explorer
A 250 million dollar movie (a figure thrown around earlier) has to make 400-500 million at the box office to break even

A 250 million film costs 150 to 250 in marketing. So on the low end that's 400 million. The studio only gets half the box office, so you're looking at 800 million to break even. But China only gives about 25% instead of half, so you actually need more than 800 million to break even.

There have been so many high profile flops the last few years since that 250 number was first discussed, that I expect the studio to cut that budget down. 100 to 150 million tops, with 100 on marketing. But even then you still need 400-500 million to break even. Movie business is hard business these days :p

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
There have been so many high profile flops the last few years since that 250 number was first discussed, that I expect the studio to cut that budget down. 100 to 150 million tops, with 100 on marketing. But even then you still need 400-500 million to break even. Movie business is hard business these days :p

No kidding, it looks like the Dumbo remake is flying like a Boeing 737 Max 8!

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I was in agreement up until that last part. Now I hate it. BOOOOO!
But a Drizzt cameo has so much potential (I don't like the character - although I have in the past read many of the books, but you can't say he isn't popular! Divisive I'll accept, disliked by some I'd agree, but he is popular by any measure!).

His appearance is a plus for those who like the charater, and an Easter egg for those who remember the BG games; he's introduced as a character and if the movie flies a wider FRCU has been hinted at and is ready to go! He even has a massive origin story to call upon if you want (as trilogy worth at least, surely) - although the Drow as per the books are pretty problematic as movie fodder.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases