D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone suggested Vin Diesel be in the movie yet?

... as a corpse. Maybe give him one line. Then have him get speared right in the spleen.

Oofta

Legend
Did you miss the part where I said multimedia? Games, TV shows, movies that sort of thing. RPG is doing great and things tied to the RPG such as minis etc are doing fine.

Big bucks are in a game or movie maybe a TV show though.

Hey now, I think WildSpace could have been truly epic! Apparently it was some kind of VCR game TSR piloted that you can see here.

Ah, the glory that could have been. :.-(

Oofta

Legend
But a Drizzt cameo has so much potential (I don't like the character - although I have in the past read many of the books, but you can't say he isn't popular! Divisive I'll accept, disliked by some I'd agree, but he is popular by any measure!).

His appearance is a plus for those who like the charater, and an Easter egg for those who remember the BG games; he's introduced as a character and if the movie flies a wider FRCU has been hinted at and is ready to go! He even has a massive origin story to call upon if you want (as trilogy worth at least, surely) - although the Drow as per the books are pretty problematic as movie fodder.

Being one of the biggest Mary Marty Sues around is also a bit of an issue for some people.

Zardnaar

Legend
A 250 million film costs 150 to 250 in marketing. So on the low end that's 400 million. The studio only gets half the box office, so you're looking at 800 million to break even. But China only gives about 25% instead of half, so you actually need more than 800 million to break even.

There have been so many high profile flops the last few years since that 250 number was first discussed, that I expect the studio to cut that budget down. 100 to 150 million tops, with 100 on marketing. But even then you still need 400-500 million to break even. Movie business is hard business these days :p

I know Solo lost money on 400 million turnover, The Force Awakens grossed 2 billion but 1.3 of that was eaten up apparently. Looking at ratios is also interesting and by that I mean how much a movie made vs its cost. 200 million a movie used to be a lot starting around 1995's Waterworld, now its kind of half expected for a AAA title.

Personally think they need to tone down the marketing and special effects, make a good movie with interesting character. Basic storyteliing 101.

No kidding, it looks like the Dumbo remake is flying like a Boeing 737 Max 8!

Really? The forecast just For North America is an opening weekend of about $48 million, on a budget of about $170 million. It will end up making money easily when international ticket sales get added in.

Plus it is Tim Burton. Get Tim Burton to direct a D&D movie and it will be awesome. :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Really? The forecast just For North America is an opening weekend of about $48 million, on a budget of about $170 million. It will end up making money easily when international ticket sales get added in.

That’s excluding marketing costs, but sure we’ll see how it goes.

Hussar

Legend
I dunno. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory looks like a D&D game to me. Same with the Alice movies.

One wonders what people actually think a D&D movie should look like.

Remove ads

Remove ads