• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle Whiterock

Filcher

First Post
Whoa! :cool:

I should establish that I'm a huge fan of CW. You did an amazing job in making a dungeon that is both massive and managable at the same time. The box set is packed in all the right ways (the DM's guide is genius). All in all it is an amazing feat.

CW will keep me and my gaming group busy all the way into 4E. I'm thinking of adding an apocalypse date that the PCs have to beat. Get to the bottom of Whiterock before the dragon is unleashed upon the Northlands and devastating their world... we'll see if they can "beat" the dungeon before the release of 4E.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Jengenritz said:
Greetings! I saw that you were discussing Castle Whiterock, and I figured I could pop in and respond to a few comments.?

Super, thank you! I will do some more reading and then I'll come back with some questions. I think the slaver aspect is the part I like the best (has some old "slave pits" echoes that I really like) and thus I really want to beef up that part of it. I want to do some thinking about how exactly one would grab some slaves, transport them, keep them somewhat fed and somewhat healthy until they arrived, who in town might be involved in taking slaves (or providing information to slavrs), who in town might be interested in stopping the slave trade, if similar things are happening in other towns, etc. Find a way to "make it personal" for the PCs early on. That sort of thing.

ivocaliban

First Post
Great thread so far. I recently picked up Castle Whiterock (new in shrinkwrap, even!) for $25.00...from a used book store. While I've only given the contents a cursory glance so far I've been very impressed with the entire package. Impressed enough to pick up several other DCCs (including #4, #11, #29, #39, #46, and #51.5) in the past two weeks alone. I'm generally not one for adventure modules (prior to the big 3e sale I had purchased only two adventure modules and a handful of Dragon magazines), but there's something about Goodman Games approach that just works for me.

I appreciate the feedback for Castle Whiterock and will be keeping an eye on this thread!

Jengenritz

First Post
You did an amazing job in making a dungeon that is both massive and managable at the same time.

Thanks...that was one of the design "commandments" we got early on.
There's a thread at the Goodman Games board (here: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2486) where I kinda ramble on about what went into writing CW. Long story short: we used spreadsheets.

I'm thinking of adding an apocalypse date that the PCs have to beat. Get to the bottom of Whiterock before the dragon is unleashed upon the Northlands and devastating their world...

That is an excellent, diabolical idea...a really cool way to give 3.5 a big hurrah before transitioning to 4E! Question for you: which dragon? :cool:

I think the slaver aspect is the part I like the best...

My co-author will be happy to hear that...he wrote the upper levels!

I want to do some thinking about how exactly one would grab some slaves, transport them, keep them somewhat fed and somewhat healthy until they arrived, who in town might be involved in taking slaves (or providing information to slavrs), who in town might be interested in stopping the slave trade, if similar things are happening in other towns, etc.

One thing I really like about what Harley did with Cillamar was the story between the Truemen and the Warlands refugees...the tension in the city runs from the highest levels to the lowest. I'd bet the Truemen would turn a blind eye to slavers taking refugees. If the PCs are out-of-towners, they could easily get embroiled in that mess.

Fire away with any questions you come up with!

Impressed enough to pick up several other DCCs (including #4, #11, #29, #39, #46, and #51.5)

That's pretty high praise that you went out and bought some DCCs on the strength of CW (and MAN you scored at that bookstore!). Glad you decided to check out some of our modules!

Also, Tom Waits rules. Big fan of "The Piano Has Been Drinking." I've been that guy.

Pinotage

Explorer
Jengenritz said:
Great to hear! I wrote most of the latter part of CW...if you don't mind my asking, which levels or subplots jumped out at you?

The thing I liked the most about Castle Whiterock was how the castle's history is borne out throughout the adventure. You get to see signs of events that happened ages ago, such as highly successful adventuring parties, old orc tribes, and the like. It brings the whole complex to life a lot more. The company of Black Osprey was a great addition.

I loved the Demonhold - that was great. The Immense Cavern and it's inhabitants are great too. Those stone giants and the purple worms looked like great fun! The variety in the levels was also neat - you get to do everything from ride the rapids to storm a fortress to venture across lava to enter into demi-planes.

It's a great adventure! Much better, IMO, than World's Largest Dungeon, and even some of the others like Rappan Athuk Reloaded. :)

Pinotage

Filcher

First Post
Pinotage said:
It's a great adventure! Much better, IMO, than World's Largest Dungeon, and even some of the others like Rappan Athuk Reloaded. :)

Pinotage

QFT. Not to break the spell of enchantment, but what's the history behind CW? Was it somebody's home campaign?

ivocaliban

First Post
Jengenritz said:
That's pretty high praise that you went out and bought some DCCs on the strength of CW (and MAN you scored at that bookstore!). Glad you decided to check out some of our modules!
After getting such a deal on Castle Whiterock (to be fair it was priced at $60, but I had $35 in store credit I'd been trying to get rid of for months...so it only cost me $25 cash) and then being so impressed with the presentation of the product I almost felt I owed it to Goodman Games to show my appreciation! Buying more stuff seemed like the best way to do that and I'm very happy with the books I've gotten so far.

Still planning on picking up #20, #34, #35, and #48 in the not too distant future.

Jengenritz said:
Also, Tom Waits rules. Big fan of "The Piano Has Been Drinking." I've been that guy.
Great song! Great album! My signature quote comes from "Sweet Little Bullet from a Pretty Blue Gun" on the Blue Valentine album.

arlanni

First Post
EricNoah said:
Super, thank you! I will do some more reading and then I'll come back with some questions. I think the slaver aspect is the part I like the best (has some old "slave pits" echoes that I really like) and thus I really want to beef up that part of it. I want to do some thinking about how exactly one would grab some slaves, transport them, keep them somewhat fed and somewhat healthy until they arrived, who in town might be involved in taking slaves (or providing information to slavrs), who in town might be interested in stopping the slave trade, if similar things are happening in other towns, etc. Find a way to "make it personal" for the PCs early on. That sort of thing.
Some of the information on the slaver plot is in there, its just hard to find. For example:

Ankiel (Appendix A-The Inn of the Slumbering Drake) is the slavers contact in Cillamar. He identifies potentail slaves and arranges their capture, holding and transport to CW. His base of operations is detailed in the Gaz., in the Cillamar chapter. Area C-16 (Umberwwod Coffins). He smuggles the bodies inside the coffins!

Also note the secret organization that opposes the slavers: The Soriority of the Swan. There is an NPC in the organization at the Inn (Brie), and one is held prisoner on level 2 (Sapphira).

In regard to the question about someones home campaign: No, CW is not actually a home-brewed campagn setting. CW was under development for almost 4 years, although the last year, Adrian was brought on board to help finish the project. Although bits and pieces of my campaigns are in there (and I assume Adrian's as well), it is its own entity that took on a life of its own.

If anyone has any story hours to share, please do. The authors get a kick reading them. Also check out the Goodman Games forums for more threads and information regarding all thing CW related.

Chris

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads