• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D IV) A Knight for a Pawn

Guilt Puppy

First Post
The border guard smiles a little. "You're quite right, and apt-spoken. I imagine like words are chiselled in the stone." Thinking it over for a moment, he adds: "Excepting if you've made a provocation, or a challenge, of course."

dpdx

Explorer
"Certainly that is fair, good sir. I expect also I am to wear this as a designated visitor to Tourne," Fendric says as he reaches for the sash. "We would get this, 'note of consent' how, exactly?

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"You'd need to talk to a nobleman or his officers for that." He raises a curious eye: "Do you expect to need one?"

The rider farthest behind him executes a sharp double-tug on his horse's reins; it turns about in a full circle, then a half-circle, assuming a crossward stance in the opposite direction.

dpdx

Explorer
"Actually, the majority of our conflicts have so far taken place outside," Fendric continues conversationally, "so I suspect we may not need one. Although, the prospect of finding a place to store our arms and armor while delivering Lord Thedoric's letters seems a small bit daunting, I must say. Unless, of course, we can leave it loaded aboard. Which reminds me, is there a village nearby where we might procure additional horses?"

"Ah, but you are busy men, and you do not wish to hear me prattle on. Radiant Light Be With You, and I believe you wish me to wear this." Fendric takes the sash after what must seem like an eternity.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"If you're worried about storing your goods while in the towns and cities, I'd send one in ahead of the rest to speak to the local vogt, and try to make arrangements to have the held for you. I understand it's fairly custom to arrange such, but I've never dealt in it myself, so don't rely on my word there." He scratches his throat -- the friction between his stubbled neckflesh and calloused fingers is audible -- then continues. "As for horses, you'll get burned a bit on price in Kivhurt, but it's nearest. For your route, I'd wait the extra day and buy in Maddel, where you can find a deal."

"Ah, but you are busy men, and you do not wish to hear me prattle on. Radiant Light Be With You, and I believe you wish me to wear this."

He grins. "Indeed. It'll save you mark by any other patrols, and it'll help the guards know your purpose. And of the prattle, think nothing... We're rare of new face out here, you can imagine. Merchants come by see, and the Tourne sees few other visitors."

It is just less than another day, at the start of a new sunset, before what must be Kivhurt can be seen on the horizon. The city -- a small city, but a city to be sure -- appears to have been piled atop a strange rising crest that reaches out into the shoreline. There are some huts and fishing boats to be found along the coast on approach to the city, but surprisingly few; whatever population this city oversees seems to prefer to remain within its walls.

DrZombie

First Post
Raven waits quietly untill the border patrol is gone, then rejoins the group; He chuckles. "In the land of the blind, one-eye is king. They couldn't keep a henyard safe from a fox, prancing around on the highways."

"I don't like this" Raven mutters. What are they all afraid of that they huddle behind the city walls? "

"We'll soon find out. But preferably with our bellies full and a foaming tankard in front of our nose."
He grins from ear to ear. "Say Hiritus, wasn't it Fendric's turn to buy the beers? I distinctly seem to recall him retiring to his rooms just before it was his turn to buy last time." He turns to Fendric. "Not that I accuse you of having a somewhat tight grip on your purse-strings, my good friend. Not al all." He tries to keep his face as innocent as possible, whistling innocently.

Sparky

"I'm not so sure they were blind, Raven. Did anyone else notice how they warmed up to us after the man in the back turned a circle?" He casts a sidelong look at Fendric. "Not to cast any aspersions on your fabled congeniality, Fendric, but I think we were scried."

The walled city comes in to view and Oliver also enjoys a brief daydream of good food and fine ale. "So, shall I go ahead to make our arrangements?"

DrZombie

First Post
"Two's better then one. Besides, in your old age you shouldn't be left alone too long. Might forget the way back and such." Raven says with a concerned look on his face. "I'll join you, just to be safe."

Sparky

Oliver seems to be deciding whether to bristle or not at Raven's comments about his age. He chooses the high road. Sort of. "One condition, keep your ever lovin' mouth shut. If I recall correctly, your notion of bargaining leaves a lot to be desired."

He spends a moment cataloging the wishes of the others for their arrangements and then heads off down the road with Raven. He calls over his shoulder, "We'll meet you back out at the gate when we're finished. Try not to lurk too suspiciously. I think this lot in the city may be a little leery." He purses his lips worriedly and looks meaningfully at Nurthk, who's parentage would make him suspect in many settlements. And Fendric too. Who just seemed to attract trouble by the barrow load.

Once out of earshot, he cocks his head at Raven, white eyebrows waggling, "So, just want to get that nose in a tankard sooner rather than later, eh?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads