• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D IV) A Knight for a Pawn

G

Guest 11456

Cylantro : Female Human

As Oliver and Raven ride away, Cylantro turns to the others. "So! Where should we wait?" As if answering her question, Ginger looks up and meows at her mistress. Cylantro shakes her head and meows back at the cat. Ginger, who seems to be content with the answer she got lays her head back down.

dpdx

Explorer
The walled city comes in to view and Oliver also enjoys a brief daydream of good food and fine ale. "So, shall I go ahead to make our arrangements?"
"We should proceed together, so that we enjoy the protection this affords," replies Fendric, indicating the sash.

"I thought the second town was where we wouldn't get fleeced," Hiritus offers as they ride along.

"This is true, brother, but an overnight stay in the first town will not set us back too far, I should hope."

DrZombie

First Post
Raven casts a sidelong look to Oliver, the two of them riding a head of the others.
"Looks like we'll have to sneak out if we want to fleece some locals with a dice game. Maybe later, when Fendric's asleep and Hiritus starts to feel the beers. Never met a paladin who could hold his drinks like rthat one. We'll have to double up to drink him under the table. Maybe if we prod Nurthk a little."

Raven falls back a little 'till he rides next to nurthk.

"Say Nurthk," he says with a twinkle in his eye, "Hiritus seemed a little cocky the other night when we were drinking. Now me and Oliver 's got a little bet, me saying you can drink Hiritus under the table and still be able to sing all twelve verses of 'the wizard 's got a stick with a knob on the it', him paying all the drinks if you make it."

Last edited:

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk smiles and raises an eyebrow.

"I'm liking the sound of that," he admits, "It's been a while since I heard 'The Wizard's Stick', but I think I could belt it out alright once I had some drink in me. If not, well, it's as good a time as any to get hammered drunk. I may not have enough money to get a new horse but I've got enough to drink until I forget I need one."

DrZombie

First Post
"Nurthk, " Raven says, "It seems that I've allways underestimated you. That is one of the finer excuses I've heard to go on a drinking binge since quite a long time. The first round's on me."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Proceeding toward the city, you quickly find its southwestern gate -- a narrow entryway, perhaps wide enough for two horses aside, stationed with four men facing outward, and what looks to be four faced inward as well. They are dressed in a manner distinct from the riders who approached you earlier, cloth of a deep red lain loosely over rusty chain armors which show many lines of mismatched links... The apparent lead among them (the only one with a helmet; two have heavy leather caps, the other welcomes the wind) steps forward as soon as you come within twenty yards; two fall in from behind him in a short line before the gate, crossing halberds above the entrance; and the last grabs lazily at a hook attached to a chain, which leads up to some gear mechanism which disappears behind the stone of the enclosure. The portcullis creaks one sharp, hoarse syllable outward. It echoes back from the lowland, like two old beggars calling out to one another in the dark.

"Hold, there," calls the lead. His stubble is not yet long enugh to be a beard, but it is close. "Do you intend to walk so armed like that into our city? That's forbidde."

dpdx

Explorer
[What time's it looking like from the sun as we approach this place?]

A few tens of yards behind the "advance party", the Pelorites notice the guard behavior. At least, Fendric does.

"What do you suppose they want, Hiritus?"

"Oh, Raven's probably still nursing a wounded ego. I win one, one drinking contest, out of how many?, and-"

"The guards, brother! Oh, I know what it is. We must stow our weapons. Everyone, our weapons must be stowed inside the city!"

Fendric dumps his flail and shield in the backpack. But as he goes to take off the layers of armor, Hiritus is having none of it, at least for now. Looking around to the periphery of the gate outside the city, back to the guards, and around.

"Hang on, Fendric. Let's see what they told our greeting committee. We may wish to skip this place altogether."

DrZombie

First Post
"My bow is unstrung, and my sword is in it's scabbard. I plan to keep it that way. We come in peace, and seek no trouble." Raven says, looking the unkempt guard straight in the eye.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk frowns. He did not expect his situation to be a simple one, but he intended to try nonetheless. He started by beginning to unstring his longbow, but had no idea what he could do with not one but two double axes. He had been forced to carry his old axe himself after losing his horse. The thought occurred to him that he could put the money from selling his old axe towards purchasing a new horse.

Sparky

Oliver nods at Raven's words. "Yes, we're newly arrived in the Tourne. We spoke to a patrol as we crossed the border." He gestures to Fendric's green sash. "They mentioned that we would have to make arrangements at each city as we entered. Despite our dubious appearance," he chuckles and indicates the others with a wave, patting at his dusty leathers. They puff obligingly. His hope is to align himself with the disheveled and piecemeal trappings of the guards, "We're not looking for trouble. We've been long on the road and this is the first town of any size we've seen in some days."

"Though it looks like you're expecting trouble...?" He looks off over his shoulder first one way and then the other as he trails off, searching for whatever trouble they may be on the lookout for.

Last edited:

Remove ads